Charvel Desolation Star. i paid $300 from MF on a stupid deal last week. i guess they are normal sales (not list) price is like $650 IIRC. EMG 81/85 set single volume knob and a three way switch. neck thru construction.

out of the box it was setup decently well after tuning which is odd. i restrung it with 11's and its overall a nice guitar. pickup height and intonarion are spot on, i just needed to adjust the truss rod about 1/4 turn after the restring with the 11's. it also came with locking tuners which is nice and interesting considering it is a hard tail. the only think i don't like is the transition between the painted portion and unpainted neck, its a thick line, and looks like a small gash in the side of the rosewood.

it sounds great, it plays well nice deal.

the closest thing i can compare it to would be either my two jackson dkmg's and the LTD400, 401, and 1000. it is very comparable quality wise to the the EC400 and 1000 (the two i had were extremely similar) it is way nicer than the 401's. i think the jackson dkmgs are pretty comparable with everything, if maybe the jacksons being a little bit better.

i like it. $300 is nothing really and i got something nice to play on. i wanted another guitar with EMG's and was going to load them into an ibby, but i bought this instead. i guess i will have to throw something in the ibby.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Looks nice.

HNGD.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Looks nice.

HNGD.

thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
HNGD! Pointy explorer-shapes are cool.

i paid $300 from MF on a stupid deal last week. i guess they are normal sales (not list) price is like $650 IIRC.

It seems like the Desolation series just hasn't sold very well. A few months back, Charvel apparently decided to just clean out their warehouse and sold off (to retailers) all their current Desolation stock for half price, which is probably why there are so many crazy deals on them.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Nice axe man. 80s as shit.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.

Do you have an issue with setting the action on these guitars? In numerous occasions, there have been examples of Desolations were the neck angle of the guitar isn't steep enough to get the action as low as it should be, as the TOM bottoms out on the face of the guitar. Its a terrible thing to happen and irreparable without extensive modifications. Best thing to do is to return it in that situation.
Quote by kangaxxter

It seems like the Desolation series just hasn't sold very well. A few months back, Charvel apparently decided to just clean out their warehouse and sold off (to retailers) all their current Desolation stock for half price, which is probably why there are so many crazy deals on them.

Makes sense since so many of the desolation models from last year are no longer in the 2015 lineup.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 7, 2015,
Very nice. HNGD
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Those body styles are all fun and games until someone gets their eye out out! And don't run in the house with that!

Oh yeah, and BTW-
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've always wanted a Star, but I want a bolt-on one with a Strat-neck and a Fender-style trem. I'm hoping FMIC will make one in Ensenada soon.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Excellent

I've heard that about the paint line on the necks. Other than that it sounds pretty sweet for $300 if it's comparable to a LTD 1000 series
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Do you have an issue with setting the action on these guitars? In numerous occasions, there have been examples of Desolations were the neck angle of the guitar isn't steep enough to get the action as low as it should be, as the TOM bottoms out on the face of the guitar. Its a terrible thing to happen and irreparable without extensive modifications. Best thing to do is to return it in that situation.

Makes sense since so many of the desolation models from last year are no longer in the 2015 lineup.

no issues with the action. if the time comes i would pull the studs and countersink the brifge. it would jack it up but at least it would be playable. it seems to have a typical spot though, maybe that isn't on all of them. i had a friend with a dean that happened to and

that is probably why they are blowing them out. but i am still happy with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Excellent

I've heard that about the paint line on the necks. Other than that it sounds pretty sweet for $300 if it's comparable to a LTD 1000 series

that paint line does bug me though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
beautiful.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
i was looking into it further with the bridge being potentially too low, it has just as much room to lower the action than some of my other guitars. for example, my strat has just as much room until the saddles bottom out as the.

after further playing, it plays great, but it doesn't exactly feel as nice as an EC1000 would, but certainly better than the 400 and 401.

if they are still available for that price you might get surprised if you nab one up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
wish i would have seen it before i ordered the viper 400 ha.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Happy NGD congrats on the stupid low price!

The guitar looks really bitchin the Charvel Star takes me back to the 80's! The fret markers look pretty badass.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Grats man, that's awesome.
and looks like a small gash in the side of the rosewood
You mean mahogany?
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Danustar
Grats man, that's awesome.
You mean mahogany?

no. actually the side of the fretboard. but i can't complain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Evilnine
Happy NGD congrats on the stupid low price!

The guitar looks really bitchin the Charvel Star takes me back to the 80's! The fret markers look pretty badass.

thanks! i love the inlays, really nice up close too. clean work.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
no. actually the side of the fretboard

Ah right, bummer. And the Stars are maple necks too iirc, not mahogany like some of the others - can't view imgs at work

Looks like the deal continues http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/charvel-desolation-dst-1-st-star-electric-guitar Pity they won't ship new to Australia, or I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

EDIT: Damn! Even the hardtail Soloist is up for $350. Sheesh ..
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Last edited by Danustar at Feb 7, 2015,