So a little about myself. I am 26 and I started play guitar junior year of high school. I am a big Johnny Cash fan and he was my inspiration to start playing. After a few years of messing around with chords I decided to play at the local farmer’s market to earn some extra rent money my first two years of college. I was only playing the songs with basic open chords from some tabs I found online. It was nothing challenging, but it did help ends meet. About two years ago I decided that I wanted to stop playing basic stuff and start actually “playing” guitar. So I bought an electric, which has turned into a few electrics, and some material to get me started. I have also purchased several “50 links you must know” DVD’s and Rocksmith/Bandfuse for Xbox 360. I started taking lessons at Guitar Center, but it feels like we only put on a CD and we play the basic riff from the song, but we never get to the meat and potatoes of what is really going on. The problem I am running into is that I have no structure. I work full-time and I am a professional theater performer in the evenings, so I hopefully have about 30mins each night to squeeze some practice in. However, when I sit down and get warmed up and ready to learn I feel overwhelmed by the amount of material that I should/need to be learning. I need a weekly routine that says like Mondays I do this, Tuesdays this, and so on. I am thinking realistically here, not trying to become a guitar god overnight. I just want to play music that makes me feel satisfied and maybe play with a group in the future, but I feel that my lack of knowing what to do is holding me back. I also don’t feel that I am anywhere near the skill level I should be saying that I have been holding a guitar in my hands for 10years. Does anybody have weekly routine that helped them out in the beginning?
I'd say your first move should be to discontinue your lessons and get a new teacher. Those lessons sound like a waste of money, and more relevant to your current situation, a huge waste of time.

You may want to elaborate on what type of music you wish to play. Rock on the simpler end of the spectrum would require a slight difference in focus in your skillset as compared to, say, blues.

Try to identify what it is you're lacking to play the music you want. I don't think there's a need to focus on many techniques at once. It's one way to do things but it sounds like you would benefit from just picking one technique and focusing on it for a little while, ideally the weakest technique that's holding you back.
Last edited by triface at Feb 8, 2015,
Totally forgot to mention what style I want to play. My bad I really love southern rock, almost any rock from the 70's to 80's, and some alternative.

Is there a website that I could go to that would have reviews for teachers in my area so I can find one that would fit my needs?
It is important not to let yourself become overwhelmed. Start with 2 or 3 things and alternate between them. 30 minutes a day/night regularly is a good pace to start out at, with 10 - 15 min on each area to practice. As you start to feel more confident with your current areas of practice you can start to gradually phase in other areas into your regime. As you do become confident in certain techniques you won't need to practice them as heavily apart from keeping them in check now and then.
Quote by Jaxongamer
So a little about myself. I am 26 and I started play guitar junior year of high school. I am a big Johnny Cash fan and he was my inspiration to start playing. After a few years of messing around with chords I decided to play at the local farmer’s market to earn some extra rent money my first two years of college. I was only playing the songs with basic open chords from some tabs I found online. It was nothing challenging, but it did help ends meet. About two years ago I decided that I wanted to stop playing basic stuff and start actually “playing” guitar. So I bought an electric, which has turned into a few electrics, and some material to get me started. I have also purchased several “50 links you must know” DVD’s and Rocksmith/Bandfuse for Xbox 360. I started taking lessons at Guitar Center, but it feels like we only put on a CD and we play the basic riff from the song, but we never get to the meat and potatoes of what is really going on. The problem I am running into is that I have no structure. I work full-time and I am a professional theater performer in the evenings, so I hopefully have about 30mins each night to squeeze some practice in. However, when I sit down and get warmed up and ready to learn I feel overwhelmed by the amount of material that I should/need to be learning. I need a weekly routine that says like Mondays I do this, Tuesdays this, and so on. I am thinking realistically here, not trying to become a guitar god overnight. I just want to play music that makes me feel satisfied and maybe play with a group in the future, but I feel that my lack of knowing what to do is holding me back. I also don’t feel that I am anywhere near the skill level I should be saying that I have been holding a guitar in my hands for 10years. Does anybody have weekly routine that helped them out in the beginning?

I hate to keep recommending this, but check out Justin Guitar. I can understand your position a lot of people know how to play, but just can't plain teach! There aren't a lot of good guitar teachers out there, and it tends to be hard for a beginner to intermediate student to find what they need sadly.. I'll post the link below for the website i'm talking about. If anything this website is really useful, and Justin is a really good teacher! Even though i'm an advance guitarist there's always something to learn everyday. So we're really all considered "beginners" from my perspective. It's a never ending journey after all, and as long as you keep playing the guitar you'll be a student to music for life.

Go through the beginners course to see if you have any holes in your playing. Then after you're done proceed to go onto the intermediate course. If I know one thing for sure his lessons are structured, and easy to understand no matter what level of playing you're on. In addition he goes into deep detail explaining how things work which is great because it's impossible to not understand.

Good luck!
https://justinguitarcommunity.com
Last edited by Black_devils at Feb 18, 2015,
Thank you so much for the feedback guys! I hadn't looked at this post for almost a week because I wasn't getting very many replies, but I was excited when I saw these today!

I completely agree with what you said about my current teacher. He is a great player, but it feels like he is more in the business of making people feel like a rockstar rather the making them one. I have canceled my current classes and I am shopping for a new one to start with in the spring. Here is the top contender so far:

http://www.billroundtree.com/

Black_devils, I wouldn't discourage recommending the same resource over and over. If it works why have people try anything else! I went on Justinguitar.com last night and checked it out. I think you are right that this is exactly what I am looking for. I haven't gotten through of all of the bare basic classes yet, but from what I have seen I am impressed. This is be a great opportunity for me to gage where I am at right now as well as a good filler in-between classed.

Thank you guys once again for all the help. It's great when a community comes together to be supportive! We gotta help each other grow, right?!?
Awesome !!!! Really your attempt is great !!! However , to improve your skill and continue as charismatic as you playing now... You can follow up Mark McKenzie's guitar learning courses...I think you will get an effective guideline..