Hi,
I am a djent fan and lately I have been cracking my head to achieve the tone.....upon doing some surfing I found out that to get that professional tone expensive gears are required. Well I am not a rich guy so those expensive gears are out of question. Could anyone suggest me minimum necessary units to achieve djent or progressive metal tone. I listen to Periphery, intervals, tesseracts, born of Osiris...
Do you have a guitar with more than 7 strings? If you do, you might want to at least get an extended-frequency range speaker for your amp. A lot of stock-to-amp guitar speakers can't put out those low, grimy frequencies. Down-tuning a 6 string to Bb and such shouldn't be too much of a hassle though.

You need an amp with a solid, middy crunch channel. There are a lot of metal amps, it just depends on your preferences, budget, location, etc. If you want uber budget, I like my Roland 20X Cube. You also want an overdrive of sorts. Misha has his own overdrive, called the "Attack Overdrive." It adds a lot of punch and grit to your tone.

You could potentially use midi-effects n such as Misha uses, but that stuff is expensive too.
Quote by Will Lane
Do you have a guitar with more than 7 strings? If you do, you might want to at least get an extended-frequency range speaker for your amp. A lot of stock-to-amp guitar speakers can't put out those low, grimy frequencies. Down-tuning a 6 string to Bb and such shouldn't be too much of a hassle though.

You need an amp with a solid, middy crunch channel. There are a lot of metal amps, it just depends on your preferences, budget, location, etc. If you want uber budget, I like my Roland 20X Cube. You also want an overdrive of sorts. Misha has his own overdrive, called the "Attack Overdrive." It adds a lot of punch and grit to your tone.

You could potentially use midi-effects n such as Misha uses, but that stuff is expensive too.

Misha's overdrive is just a Dead Horse OD with a different paint job.
Anyway, OP, Peavey JSX with a Marshall 4x12 with a boost with a 7-8 string guitar.
Insta Djent.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Used Pod. Probably a Pod HD. Run it into an affordable powered PA speaker. Carvin has some.

Misha's overdrive has increased range on the knobs and an extra switch or two, but yes, it is essentially just a Dead Horse with a different graphic and a Dead Horse is just a modded tubescreamer clone. There's no magic fairy tone dust happening here.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Feb 7, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
So is the Attack OD (3 knob version) worth getting at all? Or is there a better alternative?

I've kinda wanted one myself, so.

If you want one then get one. Only an Attack OD will satisfy the urge for an attack OD in the same way only an ENGL will satisfy wanting an ENGL.
Fly on, fly on
^ I disagree.

Nothing really sounds like an ENGL, while you can def achieve the same sound as with that OD.

Will, to add "punch" to your tone use a compressor before hitting the front end, with the threshold low, a relatively long attack and a high ratio.

Also please avoid suggesting gear you didn't try (well say you've never tried it at least).
Quote by Will Lane
Do you have a guitar with more than 7 strings? If you do, you might want to at least get an extended-frequency range speaker for your amp.
No.

Have you tried playing your guitar through a FRFR system?
It doesn't sound like a guitar.
Quote by Will Lane
A lot of stock-to-amp guitar speakers can't put out those low, grimy frequencies.
Yes, else it wouldn't sound that much like a guitar either.

Djent people all use v30's or cab emulations simulating cabs with v30's.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Feb 7, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
^ I disagree.

Nothing really sounds like an ENGL, while you can def achieve the same sound as with that OD.

mulating cabs with v30's.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. The urge of wanting an ENGL will only be satisfied with an ENGL
Fly on, fly on
^ I understood that, I disagree with the comparison.

While if you wanted an ENGL the only way you could achieve its sound it's getting an ENGL really, if one wanted to sound like misha there would really be the need for that OD in particular.

That of course goes for the sound - if you want an ENGL 'cause it has "ENGL" written on the front panel then it's another matter.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Do you have a guitar with more than 7 strings?

I do not have a seven string now but I am planning on buying one soon. Think I will get Ibanez RG 7421 PB or Jackson JS32 most probably under $600 So, in short, to get a decent djent tone I require an a good metal amp with OD/attack OD and nothing else?? So a Roland 20XL will do the job eh!!
Last edited by basezero at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2

Djent people all use v30's or cab emulations simulating cabs with v30's.

And typical djent tone is heavily high pass filtered around 100hz. Extended range speaker is not needed. Guitar is a midrange instrument, the "fundamentals" below 100hz are usually just mud which is a no no for tighter than fleas ass djent tone.

TS get a used Pod HD or Pod X3.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by basezero
So, in short, to get a decent djent tone I require an a good metal amp with OD/attack OD and nothing else??
Depends on the metal amp.

If you have a 6505+ and a boost and a noise gate and possibly a compressor you're good.
If you have a powerball 2 that even alone would work nice.
If you have a dual recto then whatever you do you'll not get a convincing djent tone.
Quote by basezero
So a Roland 20XL will do the job eh!!
Not really
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Depends on the metal amp.

If you have a 6505+ and a boost and a noise gate and possibly a compressor you're good.
If you have a powerball 2 that even alone would work nice.
If you have a dual recto then whatever you do you'll not get a convincing djent tone.
Not really

Bullshit. Maybe difficult nailing a certain artists but you can certainly tighten one up for djent. I don't even own a boost pedal and I play Tesseract, Periphery, and I'm learning some Monuments parts. I use SS rectifier, channel four on Roadster in vintage mode, bold on power option, then it just takes EQing with your ears.

Edit: Yeah a dual recto def can't get djent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sVHkj65RpA
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Feb 8, 2015,
But still, a JSX would be good. Listen to Xerath if you don't believe me.
Fly on, fly on
wow you guys got deep knowledge on the signal flow stuffz, I mean I am an Electronics Engg myself but still I find the gear assembly pretty confusing. I am sure the fore mentioned gears will sound amazing but unfortunately I can't shed that much budget :p POD HD and X3 is within my range however I would also like to get a solid djent tone with effect units. So, we are looking for an Comp through OD through Noise gate and probably EQ to an AMP head...if I am correct.
Yep if you want to go the amp route. But like I said, you should have no troubles getting there with the used x3 I linked and its cheap. Now if you have the money for a 6505 combo, tube screamer, and a noise gate, that will get you there too.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by MaaZeus
And typical djent tone is heavily high pass filtered around 100hz. Extended range speaker is not needed. Guitar is a midrange instrument, the "fundamentals" below 100hz are usually just mud which is a no no for tighter than fleas ass djent tone.

TS get a used Pod HD or Pod X3.

Wait. Are the pass filters reversed on the Pod? You get the effect of a high pass filter by using a low pass filter in the amp settings. I never noticed that.

In any case, get a Pod. You're not going to get crazy awesome tube sounds, but the Pod will let you get close to it if you want to reach it. From what I understand, quite a few djent bands also use digital modeling. You'll also need at least one noise gate in your chain to be able to do the percussive string muting without too much harmonics ringing out, which you can get in the Pod. It's also pretty cheap for what you get with it.
Last edited by triface at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by triface
Wait. Are the pass filters reversed on the Pod? You get the effect of a high pass filter by using a low pass filter in the amp settings. I never noticed that.

In any case, get a Pod. You're not going to get crazy awesome tube sounds, but the Pod will let you get close to it if you want to reach it. From what I understand, quite a few djent bands also use digital modeling. You'll also need at least one noise gate in your chain to be able to do the percussive string muting without too much harmonics ringing out, which you can get in the Pod. It's also pretty cheap for what you get with it.

I... may have the terms mixed up. Again. I never remember which one was which.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by triface
Wait. Are the pass filters reversed on the Pod? You get the effect of a high pass filter by using a low pass filter in the amp settings. I never noticed that..

A High Pass filter passes along anything higher than what it's set for. A High Pass filter set for 100Hz will cut out anything below that and pass on anything above that. In short, it will cut out lows that will suck up amplifier power. That's a good thing in this case because most 4x12 cabinets couldn't reproduce much below that as it is.

Most high pass filters are either set for, or allow a selection of the "slope" at which the cutoff takes place.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Bullshit. Maybe difficult nailing a certain artists but you can certainly tighten one up for djent.
It sounds too muddy for djent, whatever you do with it.

Well for my idea of a djent tone at least.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Yeah a dual recto def can't get djent
I had listened to the video before posting my previous message.
Have you listened to it?

Distortion is pretty smooth (little high harmonics, little mid harmonics and noticeable low harmonics), there's more lows than mids, the attack of the sound is pretty moot, noise gate doesn't help making anything tighter.

It's not like it's not tight in the sense that it has too much low frequency material, it's not tight in the sense that it's muddy, and if you played an 8 strings through it the sound would resemble a fart.

So lemme rephrase that - if you have a dual recto then whatever you do you'll not get a a djent tone that convinces me.
Quote by dspellman
A High Pass filter set for 100Hz will cut out anything below that and pass on anything above that.
While that's the idea, the thing's not that drastic - in guitar EQ's the filters are usually first order, rarely even second, meaning the filter is cutting 6dB (or 12dB if second order) per octave.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by basezero
So, in short, to get a decent djent tone I require an a good metal amp with OD/attack OD and nothing else?? So a Roland 20XL will do the job eh!!
For ultra-low budget without playing in 7/8/9 string tunings, you'll get by. Since you want a 7+ string, not so much. If you're gigging, nope. I'm satisfied with the tone, but you might not be. Suggestions.

Quote by Spambot_2
Also please avoid suggesting gear you didn't try (well say you've never tried it at least).
I've heard Misha demo the Attack OD, I'm suggesting only to check it out. It would knock out overdrive and djent-attack reqs in one pedal.
---
Now that I think about it, what would be best for OP is some sort of multi-effects, although good multis aren't really budget gear. Misha does use Axe-FX, the extent of his patches I don't know though. So a POD.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 8, 2015,
Well I 've started to dig the new POD HD PRO or upcoming POD FIREHAWK.......think I will buy the former but the bluetooth thingy is a plus point in the later.
Quote by basezero
Well I 've started to dig the new POD HD PRO or upcoming POD FIREHAWK.......think I will buy the former but the bluetooth thingy is a plus point in the later.
Neat. Let us know what you end up getting and make a sound demo in the recordings sticky c:
I appreciate all of your suggestions and advices. For an average musician like myself this things are pretty high level stuffs bt I am learning to understand when you guys explain this well. Thanks guys oh and

btw I wanted to buy a new gear cuz my old one (Zoom G9.2tt) has encountered an input problem. The unit switches on and all but it doesn't pick up the input signal and no indication on the tuner as well. I have checked all the wires and connection. I think that you guys might have some ideas about this problem.
Quote by Will Lane
Neat. Let us know what you end up getting and make a sound demo in the recordings sticky c:

Sure dude, I can't wait to get one and I will surely upload the record.