I've been thinking about purchasing a Blackstar HT-20 head and using my Peavey Valveking 212 combo as the cabinet.
The speakers in the Valveking 212 are 16 ohm and the Blackstar has three loudspeaker outputs: 1x8 ohm, 2x16 ohm, and a 1x16 ohm. Perhaps this is a confusing question, but I want to know which out this outputs from the head would work best with the speakers in the combo.

Thanks for the help.
If you connect to the 212 and the speakers are wired in parallel then use the 1x8. Does the combo have a speaker jack, or is it directly wired to the amp? If it's directly wired then you are going to have to unwire it and wire up a new connection. In that case wire the speakers in parallel and use the 1x8.
^ I answered his question in the quick questions thread, I found the peavey manual online and they seem to be on a jack, so that makes it easier (at least, assuming that one the two extension sockets on the back is used for the internal speakers also ). But peavey doesn't mention the stock impedance of the speakers (though like you, I'd strongly suspect it's 8 ohms overall, i.e. wired in parallel). But yeah plug the lead coming from the speakers in the valveking into the 8 ohm socket on the blackstar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys, I'm new to the whole head/cab/ohm thing. Never used a head and never had to think about impedance. So if the two speakers are both individually rated at 16 ohms that results in an 8 ohm load?
Last edited by goatheard at Feb 7, 2015,
if they're wired in parallel, yeah. if they're wired in series it'd be 32 ohms (which is unlikely to be the case since they normally try to make the overall impedance be either 4, 8 or 16 for guitar amps, just for ease of combining with other cabs etc.).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The VK212 has a pair of 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel. The resulting impedance is 8 ohms.
Quote by KG6_Steven
The VK212 has a pair of 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel. The resulting impedance is 8 ohms.

Alright, thank you so much for you help and not ostracizing me for being a noob in this field.
We were all noobs at one time. Most of us are happy to help those starting out. You gotta start somewhere, right?
I found a picture of the 212 that shows the speakers wired in parallel. But the speaker lead appears to be too short to connect to anything but the built in amp. That means you are going to need to fabricate your own speaker lead. You could also pick up a speaker cable and a attach it to the existing short cable with a 1/4" female to female coupler. Not sure if the adapter will be designed to handle that much current, but my guess is that it would be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-Rean-NYS236-Adapter-Coupler/dp/B0008JFHCO
Last edited by fly135 at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by KG6_Steven
We were all noobs at one time. Most of us are happy to help those starting out. You gotta start somewhere, right?

+1

I still don't know what I'm talking about most of the time
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KG6_Steven

On my planet, we just use a Cranial Replifier, collect a bit of brain fluid and we're good to go; we know everything. Quite a jolt when we get our Puberty vaccination.
So if I was to use a 40w head, I could use my 50w combo amp and the cab no problem? My combo is a Marshall 50w with the 8ohm speaker output with the 1/4 speaker jack, and the head I'm looking at is a 40w with either 8ohm output or two 4ohm.

Is there a minimum wattage I want my speaker to be?
^ What are the two specific amps in question?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?