I have been playing for 8 years now, and I can honestly say that any dufus can learn to play electric guitar solos, such as rock, pop, blues, metal, and so many others famous solos, many guitar learners aspire to play

For one you have a pick, anyone can play fast with a pick, even as a noob, you can already play ten times faster with pick that with finger picking lol

Second, you get to have perfect tabs with instructional videos and shit, if you can't learn to play these famous solos with all these help you have, I have bad news for you, throw away the guitar

Third, electric guitar solos are simple, basic and straightforward, in the sense that 99% of the time, you play one note per string, maybe some bending, legato, sweep picking and tapping is easy stuff that any kid can learn to do, and the picking technique is plain, up and down, that's it, anyone can learn all the electric guitar techniques basically in one day without a teacher, just the internet

This explains why there are so many good electric guitar players on youtube, lots of kids playing rock solos, with bendings, semi fast picking, and stuff

Yet, how many good unknown classical guitar players do you see on youtube? very few if any

This is because classical guitar is ten times more difficult, it requires decades of practice to master, you also cannot usually find tabs for many of classical songs, many of them only are available in standard notation, even if you get the tab version

Tabs suck big time, and they don't give you the right and left fingering positions, which are extremely important in classical

Classical guitar tunes, are much MORE complex that your typical rock/metal guitar solo, they involve many strings played at the same time, with different fingers and positioning of the left and right hand, unless you know the exact positions for all the fingers, you won't play the tune correctly

Lots of techniques involved that requires years of practice

To reach the same picking speed you have on electric, it will take decades, is unreal

This also explains why many kids don't even bother to learn classical guitar, they see it as too much work, also doesn't help the fact that there are not much material to learn

basically if you want to be good at classical guitar you have to hire a classical guitar teacher from young age, in other hands, anyone can play electric guitar decently with just internet lessons lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1ondh50Ik

try playing something like that in electric, is ten time more complex than any guitar solo out there, regardless if they have all the solos techniques such as tapping, bending, sweep picking, harmonics, etc

doesn't matter is like childs play in comparison to the difficulty of classical guitar
Last edited by lalopunk at Feb 7, 2015,
Electric is a totally different instrument, anyone can play either but to master both takes special abilities and a lot of work.

You sound butt hurt cos you've spent 8 years getting nowhere and have decided to attack electric players because it is so much more popular.

You come across like an elitist snob.
Quote by extinctguitar

Agreed. Besides, even if you were right, why does it matter?

Classical guitar is totally different from electric guitar, just like rock guitar is totally different from jazz guitar. Also, the reason for there not being as many classical guitarist on Youtube as electric players is because classical music is far less popular. It's the same when you search for jazz guitarist on Youtube, there will always be fewer than metal players, cause jazz is not as popular as metal is. (I am a jazz player, for the record)

I would dare to say it is not more difficult or less difficult, cause as with everything, the more you study it the easier it gets. Of course it is going to be hard to pick up either if you have no experience, and if you have experience with say jazz guitar that doesn't mean classical will come easy (and vise versa).

But yeah, your comment makes you come out as somewhat of an elitist snob. No offence.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
What does it matter what is more difficult? Should you learn to play an instrument because it's hard and try to play the most difficult instrument and pick the most technical style for that reason?
Quote by lalopunk

Yet, how many good unknown classical guitar players do you see on youtube? very few if any

This is because classical guitar is ten times more difficult, it requires decades of practice to master, you also cannot usually find tabs for many of classical songs, many of them only are available in standard notation, even if you get the tab version

No, it's not because it's more difficult - it's less popular. People play electric because it's in the music they listen to, it's what they wanna play and has more options in tone and sound meaning you can play a lot of different genres. People would play classical if that's what their favorite musicians were doing.

Quote by lalopunk

To reach the same picking speed you have on electric, it will take decades, is unreal

It's impossible to take what you say seriously when you link a video of a kid who doesn't look older than 20.
Quote by extinctguitar
Electric is a totally different instrument, anyone can play either but to master both takes special abilities and a lot of work.

You sound butt hurt cos you've spent 8 years getting nowhere and have decided to attack electric players because it is so much more popular.

assumption based on nothing
Last edited by lalopunk at Feb 7, 2015,
Quote by fanapathy

It's impossible to take what you say seriously when you link a video of a kid who doesn't look older than 20.

which proves my point that i made in previous threads

that talent is everything in guitar, and any instrument for that matter

it separates the great ones from the average joes
+1000 to Sickz.

The difficulty of classical guitar has nothing to do with why no one does it.

No one plays classical guitar because the repertoire sucks and the instrument has been relegated to goofy "parlor pieces" that are held in NOWHERE near the same regard as the literature for say, violin or piano.

In addition the classical guitar right hand technique is an incredibly specific technique that has virtually zero application in any facet of non-classical guitar playing.

The electric guitar and its resultant technology solves all the major design/technique flaws of the classical guitar (i.e. total lack of sustain), which now only has a real use in one field (classical guitar performance).

That's why no one plays it any more, it's more or less become useless in the grand scheme of things. I know multiple classical guitarists (some professors, even) who have since switched to electric and never looked back.

Is classical difficult? Sure, I'll agree there, but that isn't why no one's doing it. Jazz is just as hard and there are jazz guitarists everywhere. The difference is playing one of those instruments is a much more useful skill outside the practice room.

And if you think non-classical is easy, take it up with Fripp, Holdsworth, Abasi, and Pass.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp