I've got a Yamaha RGX-A2 Electric guitar in my store. It's used, and has been here since before I started working here. After having a customer ask how low I could go on the price, and actually looking at our cost on it, I suspect that we may have overpaid for it, and therefore have it priced too high, as well.

Thing is, I can't seem to find the original price for those things anywhere. The Musiciansfriend page for it doesn't show the price because it's been discontinued (why that means that they can't tell me what it USED TO sell for is beyond me), Yamaha's own website doesn't show prices, nor do their catalogs, and I can't find any damn record of this thing anywhere. There are used ones selling on ebay and reverb for wildly varying prices (anywhere from like $170-$500+). The closest thing I found to an original price confirmation was a user review right here on UG, from 2006, and the guy says he paid $435, and that it was new.

Can anyone confirm for me what these things actually sold for before they were discontinued? Street price or original MSRP? Still blows my mind that I can't even get the MSRP directly from Yamaha, but whatever. Gotta figure it out.

Here's links to the UG review I mentioned, and the Yamaha product page.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/yamaha/rgxa2/index.html

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-guitars/rgx_a2/
IIRC, those things went for right around US$450.00 new. There was a second-generation version that used barrel-shaped tuners that were incredibly precise (and slow to use when re-stringing); I believe they went for a bit less, as few people were taken by the ultra-light "iPod Guitar." They did play well, though.

EDIT: The second-generation version also had a USB jack. Retailers were selling it for US$300.00 around the time that Yamaha discontinued it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Feb 7, 2015,
Quote by FatalGear41
IIRC, those things went for right around US$450.00 new. There was a second generation version that used barrel-shaped tuners that were incredibly precise (and slow to use when re-stringing); I believe they went for a bit less, as few people were taken by the ultra-light "iPod Guitar." They did play well, though.

Yeah, the one I've got here has the barrel tuners. And yeah, they're crazy accurate, but a total pain to restring, since you can't put a stringwinder on them. And it does play very well. Super smooth, and no buzzing, even at crazy low action. The extreme light weight is weird, though.

So yeah, $450-ish is what I was expecting. Hmm. Might have to discount this thing, then...
So how low WILL you go? I'm interested. If it has the barrel tunners
Quote by waxout
So how low WILL you go? I'm interested. If it has the barrel tunners

Sold it. At cost. There was some kind of confusion when it was bought, and we paid way more for a used one than we should have, and had it marked at almost new price. It had been there since before I started working there, so I just got rid of it.