So I tried to stick a 10 band eq in the loop of my Valveking 212 to get rid of the ungodly bass/muddiness. It worked, but not quite enough. I feel an amp upgrade is best (would have better speakers AND higher distortion/preamp quality), and I was also thinking of slightly downsizing it. I tried the DSL40C, liked it. Any other options that could be a similar size yet be a tonal upgrade to my amp?

I play mostly Iron Maiden and thrash metal (80's metallica, anthrax, some slayer). Good cleans are good (my so cal has sh-6TB and N) and I'm leaning towards independent clean and dirt channels. Budget is about $450.

On a side note: Is it a characteristic of 212 and/or higher watt amps to just naturally sound muddy when your playing by yourself? Or are the VK speakers actually THAT bad?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
In response to the last question, they have Sheffield speakers, and they're generally aren't that good. Sticking V30's would do the amp good. See if you can use a cab with V30's and plug your amp into these and see if it would change anything.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Oh yeah, I would definitely try playing through a cab or something. I don't wanna tell you to drop $200 when you still might not like the results, but if you can find a cab or some speakers to try playing through, definitely do it. The Valveking stock speakers are terrible.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I'm not too keen on the hassle of a separate 212 cab along with a 212 amp. And even if I directly swap out for good speakers (let's say, $200 for the speakers if I go used, another $80ish for labor), I don't know how good the VK distortion will be through them.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 7, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek
In response to the last question, they have Sheffield speakers, and they're generally aren't that good. Sticking V30's would do the amp good. See if you can use a cab with V30's and plug your amp into these and see if it would change anything.

VK's have their own speakers not Sheffields. Sheffields are actually fairly decent speakers and they sound great in my Ultra.

OP a speaker will help for sure. i use my VK112 for practice and don't really have a problem getting an Iron Maiden tone. what overdrive are you using?

oops didn't read your sig. you should be able to get IM no problem. Metallica, if you are talking MOP then they used a Mesa and the VK isn't going to duplicate that perfectly.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 7, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
VK's have their own speakers not Sheffields. Sheffields are actually fairly decent speakers and they sound great in my Ultra.

OP a speaker will help for sure. i use my VK112 for practice and don't really have a problem getting an Iron Maiden tone. what overdrive are you using?

oops didn't read your sig. you should be able to get IM no problem. Metallica, if you are talking MOP then they used a Mesa and the VK isn't going to duplicate that perfectly.

Had a feeling it had it's own speaker design. I don't actually use my green rhino for the "foundation" of my tone, if you will. I use it for a solo boost. I find that the gain from the amp is plenty, it's just that the tone-whether from the speakers or preamp-is terrible. Will a speaker swap be that much of a light and day thing? Or will I need to do more?
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 7, 2015,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Had a feeling it had it's own speaker design. I don't actually use my green rhino for the "foundation" of my tone, if you will. I use it for a solo boost. I find that the gain from the amp is plenty, it's just that the tone-whether from the speakers or preamp-is terrible. Will a speaker swap be that much of a light and day thing? Or will I need to do more?

well it will help. do you use the boost button on your vk? not sure what to say as i've managed to get some pretty decent tones out of my stock VK. i do however use an overdrive as part of the deal. as for a speaker swap solving all your appeatent problems well that might be asking a bit much. i do find that once the gain goes past say the 4-5 mark that the tone does suffer which is why i use an overdrive. since i tend to play 70s hard rock and metal it works well for me. early 80s metal works fine as well (think 1st 2 maiden albums or JP British Steel.) for the mid 80s thrash well that can be a bit of a mixed bag. i can get a serviceable sound but wouldn't say i nail Metallica or Megadeth and certaily not things like Slayer. i use my Ultra for that stuff.
Quote by monwobobbo
well it will help. do you use the boost button on your vk? not sure what to say as i've managed to get some pretty decent tones out of my stock VK. i do however use an overdrive as part of the deal. as for a speaker swap solving all your appeatent problems well that might be asking a bit much. i do find that once the gain goes past say the 4-5 mark that the tone does suffer which is why i use an overdrive. since i tend to play 70s hard rock and metal it works well for me. early 80s metal works fine as well (think 1st 2 maiden albums or JP British Steel.) for the mid 80s thrash well that can be a bit of a mixed bag. i can get a serviceable sound but wouldn't say i nail Metallica or Megadeth and certaily not things like Slayer. i use my Ultra for that stuff.

I use the built in gain boost on the amp. I'm really leaning towards a new amp now; I really don't want to have to buy another boost to front end on top of upgrading the amp's speakers (and that's an "at the very least" upgrade) since I don't have space on my board and it'll be another $70.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I use the built in gain boost on the amp. I'm really leaning towards a new amp now; I really don't want to have to buy another boost to front end on top of upgrading the amp's speakers (and that's an "at the very least" upgrade) since I don't have space on my board and it'll be another $70.

ok well using the boost at band volumes is why you get the mud. try and just use your overdrive without it and see what happens . you may have to adjust your tone settings a little. new speakersand perhaps a different overdrive are still cheaper than a new amp. just saying. i'd suggest looking at a T-Rex Crunchy Frog overdrive as it has a built in clean boost that is very useful.

if you get another amp i'd stay away from ones that have a gain boost like the VK. useful at practice volumes but not so much at band volume.
read through this. it is by FAR the best resource written by fellow forumites from the board here. some very good info. you will learn everything on this, and there is a dedicated VK thread as well. but read the wiki stuff.

http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

also dummy jack in the first spot makes a big difference, your cable goes in the second jack. don't use the factory gain boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/