that was interesting. still hate Dime's tone and isolated it really is shrill. i dunno though the tones for the most part all seemed more distorted than they should be but that may be the crap speakers here at work.
Getting pretty close. Metallica was a fair bit off but some of the others weren't too bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Very affordable solution for direct recording for sure. Several live applications I wouldn't mind running that setup at all. I still prefer a tube amp and that interaction for some things though especially edge of breakup blues. If I were gigging metal again though, or needed to setup really quick, hell, any situation you can get by with that setup. I have been wanting a new POD for a while for a few different reasons. Won't replace my Mesa, but few hundred buck for all the things it does, pretty cool. Torpedo CAB is very interesting as well.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by monwobobbo
that was interesting. still hate Dime's tone and isolated it really is shrill. i dunno though the tones for the most part all seemed more distorted than they should be but that may be the crap speakers here at work.

This probably underlines the difficulty of making decisions about sound based on YouTube vids.

The point of all this was that the Torpedo C.A.B. 1) provides cab IRs and power amp simulations that bring the Pod right close to what things like the Kemper and Axe can do, 2) allows you to bring in external IRs from other sources and 3) allows you to produce and use your own IRs produced with currently available software.

Coupled with the Pod's existing capabilities, it's an extremely versatile solution that allows you to match an existing tone (or produce virtually any derivation of it) with the guitar you own now and have it reproduce pretty much the same through any full-range output source.

Better yet, it gives you boutique result with an expenditure of around $1000.
Quote by Cathbard
Getting pretty close. Metallica was a fair bit off but some of the others weren't too bad.

I think the poster commented in another forum that there were one or two that he could have done a bit better, and that the system can't duplicate performance characteristics (you still have to play like the original).

The process is surprisingly simple and relatively quick. Others that have used this combination have gone beyond metal and managed to match some much trickier tones.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Very affordable solution for direct recording for sure. Several live applications I wouldn't mind running that setup at all. I still prefer a tube amp and that interaction for some things though especially edge of breakup blues

One of the things the C.A.B. replicates amazingly well is the power amp section of a tube amp. You have a pretty wide selection available, and you'd be surprised.

I have a modified Carvin Belair (2x12, 50W, 4X EL84 amp). One of the modifications was an additional "presence control" that allows you to dial the negative feedback to the power tubes from the stock amount to zero. Until I had this to play with, I'd never realized that reducing negative feedback could make such a big difference in touch sensitivity and in putting a bit of "hair" in the clean channel when you're really digging in (your "edge of breakup blues").

But once you understand what's going on, you know what to look for in these digital setups, and you can replicate it.