Hey everyone. Wondering what the best bang for buck preamp is for what im looking for. I will be using a solo 610 for recording a few guitar, bass and vocal tracks for home recording, but its not something i think i can afford to buy at the moment. My budget is about $600 +/- $50 and I would like something that could cover guitar bass and vocals as well as the 610. Thanks.
i should mention i plan on using amp simulators for bass and guitar. And I'll be singing into a SM57 or a 4041 depending on the situation
look for the edit button. don't triple post. what are you using for an interface? or just a mic pre is that mean? i like my scarlet interface a lot. really nice preamp for mics but its not tube.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a CI1...but interface should not be as big of an issue no? especially if i have a good preamp?
Quote by tyle12
I have a CI1...but interface should not be as big of an issue no? especially if i have a good preamp?

i am out of my expertise. but the interface puts the signal. it can only be as good as it is transfer to the computer. a separate preamp i do not know what it would exactly do, but the chain is only as strong as the weakest leak.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by tyle12
Hey everyone. Wondering what the best bang for buck preamp is for what im looking for. I will be using a solo 610 for recording a few guitar, bass and vocal tracks for home recording, but its not something i think i can afford to buy at the moment. My budget is about $600 +/- $50 and I would like something that could cover guitar bass and vocals as well as the 610. Thanks.
Please don't post the almost same thing in more than one section of the forum, it becomes quite hard to keep track of everything for everybody then.

Anyway, depends on the sound you wanna get.
The 610 sounds fairly transparent (in the worst possible way if ya ask me) and lotsa stuff would do what you want better than that if ya ask me.

If you really only want a pre get a Warm Audio tone beast for something pretty damn versatile, a GAP pre73dlx if you want something very colored, or an FMR RNP if you want something transparent.
Quote by tyle12
i would prefer it be tube.
Stuff like this doesn't work as guitar amps, and here tubes color the sound a lot less than in guitar amps.

No reason to want a tube pre apart from the fact that "omg it has tubes they sound better and stuff 'cause I heard it on the internet and my cheap SS practice amp sounds bad".

Choose a pre that sounds good instead of one that looks good.
Quote by tyle12
i should mention i plan on using amp simulators for bass and guitar.
Then invest in a good one and let alone guitar rig, amplitube, bias, pod farm and overloud.
The softube amp rooms, the LePou stuff and scuffham s gear are good.
Quote by tyle12
And I'll be singing into a SM57 or a 4041 depending on the situation
A mic affects the sound a lout more than a pre, and your mic's aren't ideal for recording vocals, especially if you want a "pro" result.

Consider getting something else.
Again, what depends on your voice and the result you wanna achieve.
Quote by tyle12
You're on the wrong track.

A 610 into a CI1 is gonna sound about as good as a CI1.

Conveters play a biiig part in the sound you're getting, and the weakest link in a lot of interfaces is the converters section.

With your money you're much better off getting an interface with better converters and better pre's and abandon the idea of a new, fancy looking pre.

If you have a mac get a used apogee duet, if you have a pc either get an SPL crimson or an audient id22.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A decent interface with good built-in preamps will do the job you want. Apogee Duet or even the single channel version will fit the bill just fine, as will many others. I'm not sure why you think you need tubes.

As mentioned, the quality of the converters is quite important, as is the choice of mic.

I frequently record my guitars (acoustic archtop and electrics) and voice, through a wide range of equipment;
Gefell mics,
Sennheiser pencil condensers and LDC,
several other mics,
Cranesong Flamingo preamps,
Rupert Neve Portico preamps and eq,
Metric Halo interfaces (2882 and ULN-2)

None of it has tubes anywhere, and all of it is top shelf stuff. I still can make myself sound like crap, though, with something as simple as the wrong mic placement. Get a decent interface, a decent mic, and practice your recording techniques.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1