Page 1 of 2
i am curuius about what you have done to see what you have done to protect your house and gear. its an important thing that IMO is worth it.

i have a full system for every door and window, glassbreaks, motion sensors, a dog and am considering adding cameras. if my alarm goes off, (has backup panel and wireless backup. it calls me at one minute of getting set off and if i don't reply in one minute it calls the police.

just curious what you all are running.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
2 Border Collies with lasers on their frickin' heads.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I live in a nice neighborhood and one of my neighbor's cats really likes me, so I think I'm fine. I got a new roommate recently and haven't vetted all his friends just yet but I have some peace of mind knowing my fingers are crossed and one of the neighbor's cats really likes me.

If I were looking to upgrade my home security system, border collies with lasers would most definitely be my first choice.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
2 Border Collies with lasers on their frickin' heads.

They are too fuzzy to be mean...

I live in a good neighborhood too, and my neighbors are all friends but you can never be too safe.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I disagree, at some point safety can be a detriment.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I disagree, at some point safety can be a detriment.

yeah i agree, safety without a good buffer can be a real tonesuck. and true bypass isn't really security.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
They are too fuzzy to be mean...

They are trained assassins, I tell you!

I mean it- classic "accident man" types. I can't tell you their body count, but I know several survivors of near trips over them on the stairs while carrying heavy loads, etc.

Any thief goes for my gear, they will be found the next morning, dead in the floor with a broken neck. With either a bit of fur in their legs or a slobber-slicked rubber chew toy underfoot.

As my dogs use their lasers to point them out, of course.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 8, 2015,
I have two basic rules:

1) People that know how much gear I have, don't know where I live.

2) People that know where I live, don't know about my gear.
Just some old guy.
I lock my doors and windows. I don't boast about the gear I own to people I don't know. I have several firearms. The only people that come to my house are good friends.

Insurance is also cool to have
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a velociraptor with jetpacks and scissors.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
1. I never post my security system on an Internet Forum.

2. The only time I've ever had anything stolen from the house was during a period when I had ADT. The police arrived in time to confirm that yes, someone had broken into the house and yes, they were long gone and yes, it had taken them a long time to respond, sorry. No matter what the alarm company tells you, the truth is that most home alarm alerts are false alarms and the police often have better things to do (unless you're a celeb in an expensive neighborhood and can get them Laker tickets).

3. I do NOT hang guitars out on my walls, nor are there a lot of amps displayed. Nor is everything in one place nor is it easy to get to. Nor do most of my friends have any idea how much gear I have or what it's worth. And expensive stuff NEVER EVER comes out at parties.

4. I have nosy neighbors

5. Sharks.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 8, 2015,
The people who know about my gear(which is something like 1/10th of what I want it to be) don't know where I live.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
i currently do security for a living but oddly enough have very little at home. i live in a townhouse that is in the center of the building. really only ways in are the front and back door both of which are very solid and would be difficult to break into. windows are located in spots that don't lend themselves to breaking into very easily. killer chihuahuas on post at all times.

i live in the country which helps plenty of noisey neighbors seems to deter that kind of thing. i'm very careful not to let people see my gear if going in or out with it. neighbors know i play but when asked i just say i have a cheap guitar and play for fun.

the comment about having to much security has some validity. if potential thieves notice that you have all that stuff then that is a pretty clear signal tha there is somehting worth stealing in the house. many scecurity systems can be beat with less effort than there sales people will ever let on to. DO NOT post signs stating what security place (ADT etc) monitors you house. this only tells potential thieves what system they have to beat.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Household insurance.

forgot to mention that but a really good thing to have
Quote by monwobobbo
forgot to mention that but a really good thing to have

You can buy a house without insurance?

Maybe if you pay entirely in cash...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Having insurance is usually a condition of any mortgage agreement(well, buildings insurance anyway, don't think the bank gives a toss about contents), but you don't take an insurance policy out for 20 years.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by MatrixClaw

if you have a mortgae then yes you have to have insurance. if you don't then you aren't required to have insurance. (stupid if you don though). what i meant was for apartments. even with house insurance you may have to have a seperate rider for your gear.
Quote by monwobobbo
if you have a mortgae then yes you have to have insurance. if you don't then you aren't required to have insurance. (stupid if you don though). what i meant was for apartments. even with house insurance you may have to have a seperate rider for your gear.

Depends on the provider. When I renewed my contents insurance, noone wanted anything past an aggregate value of the musical instruments in the house(though I do have receipts, etc and photos of serial numbers).

Didn't really affect my quote, or my excess, but it's not like I own Clapton's Blackie or anything.

Possibly worth noting that according to neighbours, the street I'm on has had like 1 burglary in 20 years, so...
Quote by Diemon Dave
I just always leave my house looking like it's been freshly ransacked. It confuses burglars.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Grawgos
Full alarm. Since I'm not a professional musician, my gear is covered under my homeowners insurance. I have pics with serial numbers on file with my agent.

That's a good start.

Depending on your homeowner's insurance policy, your overall household goods may only be covered up to half the value of the house itself. Or less. You can be subject to deductibles and to depreciation (you really need to check that) that may leave you with very little in the event of a loss. You may find that you're not covered for earthquakes, floods and other occurrences. Check your list of exclusions.

I have separate "marine" insurance policies and/or riders on both my camera and music gear that protects them against all losses ("wait, you dropped that lens overboard off the boat to Catalina?") and that allows me to specify values, whether for groups of items (the bag of extra gig cables and power supplies) or individual guitars (I have some ratty-ass cases that are worth as much as some guitars due to vintage silliness). Specifying values is important, since if you DO have any old crap, the insurance company, in the absence of an agreed-upon value, will treat it as old crap (worthless) instead of the vintage treasure you think it is.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Depends on the provider. When I renewed my contents insurance, noone wanted anything past an aggregate value of the musical instruments in the house(though I do have receipts, etc and photos of serial numbers).

Didn't really affect my quote, or my excess, but it's not like I own Clapton's Blackie or anything.

Possibly worth noting that according to neighbours, the street I'm on has had like 1 burglary in 20 years, so...

well if you have a bunch of expensive gear then a seperate rider may make sense. sure if you have a MIM strat and a valveking plus a couple of pedals then you are probably fine with standard policy. on the other hand a friend of mine has 39 guitars ranging from $300 - $8000 in value plus all his other gear. that adds up and would exceed what a standard house ploicy would cover.
Quote by monwobobbo
well if you have a bunch of expensive gear then a seperate rider may make sense. sure if you have a MIM strat and a valveking plus a couple of pedals then you are probably fine with standard policy. on the other hand a friend of mine has 39 guitars ranging from $300 - $8000 in value plus all his other gear. that adds up and would exceed what a standard house ploicy would cover.

Well, the total value of all my music stuff(well, I say 'value', I mean 'price paid new) is under £8000, with the most expensive single item being my LP Classic(£1599 new).
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by monwobobbo

I have close to $90k in coverage on valuables on my house, which easily covers everything in it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have close to $90k in coverage on valuables on my house, which easily covers everything in it.

until you try to collect. if you don't have everything well documented then it can be a pain to get the value for stuff like muscal instruments. i sadly know from experience. insurence laws vary greatly from state to state as well. for the average guy probably not an issue but in the case of my buddy and follks like him who have many thousands of $s worth of gear. of course the mrs may have other ideas on where that lump sum check should be spent as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
until you try to collect. if you don't have everything well documented then it can be a pain to get the value for stuff like muscal instruments. i sadly know from experience. insurence laws vary greatly from state to state as well. for the average guy probably not an issue but in the case of my buddy and follks like him who have many thousands of $s worth of gear. of course the mrs may have other ideas on where that lump sum check should be spent as well.

That's why I took a policy that gives me an option on new for old, instead of money to the value of(in case they try something like "well, one of those guitars is 13 years old, and wasn't very valuable back then, so we'll say it's worth £20").
Quote by Diemon Dave
I'd rather dogs who bark. Our girls are quite vocal, and strangers who ring our doorbell are often 10+ feet off our porch when we finally open the door.

Deterrence is better & cheaper than remedy, IMHO...even if it means you actually have to feed your dogs something besides burglar butt.

A Jack Russell Terrorist AND Rotts? That's quite a wolfpack!

Detailed pics of serial numbers etc of the good gear backed up on thumb drives at safety box in bank. Insured it all. Two dogs pit and a boxer, guns,and as mentioned I don't brag about my gear and only family and close friends come over. Craigslist etc are always done in a mutual meeting place and I bought a good electric generator to hook up amps at mutual safe spot.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
No one outside my family knows the extent of my security system but I do believe in several layers that might include fences, lighting, dogs, cameras, alarms, and 12GA. Nothing I own is worth this much trouble but my wife feels very secure.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
this is basically the "lets make a list of people to rob" thread.
mojostompboxes.com
I live in the middle of nowhere.
Even if you have my address, you probably wouldn't be able to find my house.
And the outside looks like a dump.

Quote by greeny23
What did I do to have my name attached to such a negative action?
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by greeny23

Who said my laser-equipped Border Collies were my ONLY security?

I also have Star Hippos.
(Bet you weren't ready for that!)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Who said my laser-equipped Border Collies were my ONLY security?

I also have Star Hippos.
(Bet you weren't ready for that!)

My home is surrounded by a moat filled with ill-tempered, mutated sea bass.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
My home is surrounded by a moat filled with ill-tempered, mutated sea bass.

Is that cause of ill tempered scots?

OT: I have pictures with serial numbers backed up on hard-drives and memory sticks. Got insurance on my stuff too.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Is that cause of ill tempered scots?

That's usually the result of rodents of unusual size...

Page 1 of 2