There are few amps that are chimier than an AC30. That is not one of them.

Keep in mind that the AC15 and AC30 sound fairly different, you don't generally talk about the "AC Series" as monolithic. They're different enough to be considered separately.
vox vox vox vox

Quote by Roc8995

Keep in mind that the AC15 and AC30 sound fairly different, you don't generally talk about the "AC Series" as monolithic. They're different enough to be considered separately.
What are the differences between the 15 and 30 in your opinion?
15 starts to break up almost immediately, it's a great "sweet spot" amp for people who ride the volume knob for clean/OD. It sounds more "snarly" to me, where the AC30 has a smoother grind, at least until it gets really loud. I also think AC15s are a bit more nasal sounding.

The AC30 has more headroom and does a lot better with cleans at decent volumes. It's a bit more spongy and smooth and the OD stays chimey longer than the 15. The tube rectifier also gives it some sponge and sag at higher volumes. Overall it's a fatter sound and depending on the model gives some more versatility where channels and EQ are concerned. The Normal channel on an AC30, to me, is a lot more usable as a neutral, not-so-aggressively-voxy clean base than the one on the new 15s, probably because of the extra bass and fullness on the 30. For a long time the AC15s only had one channel, and I think there's a reason for that.

This is why a lot of times the AC15 gets used for country and pop-rock where a slightly gritty to fairly snarly sound with not much bass is required, so that it sits in the mix easily. The AC30 gets a little more play for squeaky cleans and where you want a slightly fuller, fatter sound and a smoother overdrive for a stronger solo presence.

Depending on the volume you play at and what your needs are, the AC15 and the AC30 might be interchangeable. I just think it's worth mentioning that the two amps behave differently, especially at stage volumes, because sometimes people get the 15 thinking it's just a smaller 30 or the 30 thinking it's just a louder 15, and then are disappointed or confused when their amp doesn't sound like what they expected.

TL;DR: More clean & versatility on the AC30, overdriven AC30s growl and roar, AC15s snarl.
^ +3.1415 that is perfect. i tried to say that in a different thread, and miserably failed.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's tough to explain, because on a lot of levels they are similar, and their differences are tough to articulate. It's like trying to explain what separates an apple and a pear. It's a lot easier to just experience each of them because on paper they seem like the same thing and if you'd never had either you'd think the difference was splitting hairs.
Quote by Roc8995
It's tough to explain, because on a lot of levels they are similar, and their differences are tough to articulate. It's like trying to explain what separates an apple and a pear. It's a lot easier to just experience each of them because on paper they seem like the same thing and if you'd never had either you'd think the difference was splitting hairs.

yea it is. people are so used to different numbers being so different. for example the DSL50 and DSL100, unless you are really turning it up there isn't much of a difference. in the SS world for example that the 30 is 'bette'r than the 15 because it has a higher wattage. but the AC15 and AC30 is NOT an example of 'better' but of application. they are sooooo different. i kind of want one of each
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Roc8995
15 starts to break up almost immediately, it's a great "sweet spot" amp for people who ride the volume knob for clean/OD. It sounds more "snarly" to me, where the AC30 has a smoother grind, at least until it gets really loud. I also think AC15s are a bit more nasal sounding.

The AC30 has more headroom and does a lot better with cleans at decent volumes. It's a bit more spongy and smooth and the OD stays chimey longer than the 15. The tube rectifier also gives it some sponge and sag at higher volumes. Overall it's a fatter sound and depending on the model gives some more versatility where channels and EQ are concerned. The Normal channel on an AC30, to me, is a lot more usable as a neutral, not-so-aggressively-voxy clean base than the one on the new 15s, probably because of the extra bass and fullness on the 30. For a long time the AC15s only had one channel, and I think there's a reason for that.

This is why a lot of times the AC15 gets used for country and pop-rock where a slightly gritty to fairly snarly sound with not much bass is required, so that it sits in the mix easily. The AC30 gets a little more play for squeaky cleans and where you want a slightly fuller, fatter sound and a smoother overdrive for a stronger solo presence.

Depending on the volume you play at and what your needs are, the AC15 and the AC30 might be interchangeable. I just think it's worth mentioning that the two amps behave differently, especially at stage volumes, because sometimes people get the 15 thinking it's just a smaller 30 or the 30 thinking it's just a louder 15, and then are disappointed or confused when their amp doesn't sound like what they expected.

TL;DR: More clean & versatility on the AC30, overdriven AC30s growl and roar, AC15s snarl.
C': beautiful
Thanks for all your help!

Does anyone know how to imitate that sound with AC30?
That sounds very thinner than another humbuckers. Is that thinner sound mostly depend on pickups? or an amp?
Last edited by kyuseok at Feb 10, 2015,
Quote by Roc8995

and also, what amps are chimier than AC30?