Hey guys. I had my guitar for about 4 months now and it always had these indentations in the wood. I just always assumed it was normal and didn't really care but now my friend says there is a problem with the guitar. The humidity has always been around 50% except for about a month, but now it's back to 50%.

Also, I couldn't capture it well in the photo but coming down from both sides of the bridge, there are lines of indentation on the wood. Is that also normal? On the third picture, it's also not showing well but there is another tiny indentation. I know this is not normal because it's only on one side of the guitar but I was wondering if it could be fixed?

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/QImog
If you expect us to see cracks in the top, you're going to have to light the picture more from the side, as that will enhance texture. The light coming from directly above, just flattens out any surface detail.

Sometimes the clamping pressure from gluing on the top braces will their impression to, "telescope" through the top.

Other than that, are you getting any perceptible buzz from the guitar? Does it make any strange noises if you gently tap the top near the, "crack"?

It could be just a crack in the finish, but if the guitar is poly finished, that stuff is pretty flexible, and not really prone to cracking.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 8, 2015,
What make is it? It's hard to tell from the pics, but some deformation of the top is quite common in lightly built guitars. For, example, the brace lines might show, as noted by CC. It might have been due to the dry spell, and might be indicative of potential problems. If it is an expensive guitar, or one you like a lot, I would have it checked out just for peace of mind.
Quote by Captaincranky
If you expect us to see cracks in the top, you're going to have to light the picture more from the side, as that will enhance texture. The light coming from directly above, just flattens out any surface detail.

Sometimes the clamping pressure from gluing on the top braces will their impression to, "telescope" through the top.

Other than that, are you getting any perceptible buzz from the guitar? Does it make any strange noises if you gently tap the top near the, "crack"?

It could be just a crack in the finish, but if the guitar is poly finished, that stuff is pretty flexible, and not really prone to cracking.

No, it's definitely not cracked but it sort of looks dented in, if you know what I mean. I took the picture to show how images bend in the spot. As you see in the picture, the lightbulb's image looks very distorted beside the bridge.
Quote by Tony Done
What make is it? It's hard to tell from the pics, but some deformation of the top is quite common in lightly built guitars. For, example, the brace lines might show, as noted by CC. It might have been due to the dry spell, and might be indicative of potential problems. If it is an expensive guitar, or one you like a lot, I would have it checked out just for peace of mind.

It's an HD-28, so it is lightly built since it's scalloped top. I unfortunately can't have it checked out since I'm not in the country now. The thing that I'm worried about is that the deformation is only on one side, and not the other.

thanks
Quote by orangebamboot
Quote by orangebamboot
bump again? I'm super nerves
bump 3.0

PLEASE HELP ME
Allowing for the fact that we can't possibly hold your hand, or pat you on the shoulder from here, what would you like us to do, mumble top flattening incantations?

Myself and others have already told you that the soundboard to top brace glue joints can sometimes be seen. Right off the bat, a guitar top is a thin sheet of wood, subject to waviness and minor surface imperfections. What it isn't, is a sheet of 1/2" thick plate glass. And unless you're touring with the Martin, it should be home safe and sound, while you bang on a travel beater.

So, first the top was cracked, now it isn't. Is that right? The only other thing you can do, is remove the strings, shove a mirror inside the guitar, and check for loose braces or any other type of physical defects.

Quite honestly, if that's the case, you'll have to wait until you get home to have it repaired anyway.

Now, we can't help you any more that we've already tried.

Moral of the story, do the checks and take the actions we've suggested, see if you can get a hold of a couple of Xanax, and above all, quit bumping this thread out of self induced hysteria.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 9, 2015,