Is a 25 watt amp loud enough for metal drums?

I would get a 2x12 cabinet with it.

I mostly play at home and do recording at home but occasionally i jam with a drummer.

Thoughts?
what amp. a tube amp will most likely be fine a solid state one not so much.
If it's a tube amp I use a 15w amp for rehersals these days, so I'd say it was ok.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
What amp and what cab?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Raw watts don't tell us much. That depends on the amp, the speakers, the drum kit, the sticks, the drummers playing style, the room etc.

In most cases an Orange Tiny Terror 15w and 1x12 V30 can run with a heavy drummer. A Line 6 Spider 30w will be completely buried.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 8, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Raw watts don't tell us much. That depends on the amp, the speakers, the drum kit, the sticks, the drummers playing style, the room etc.

In most cases an Orange Tiny Terror 15w and 1x12 V30 can run with a heavy drummer. A Line 6 Spider 30w will be completely buried.

People often forget the room is a factor. If it's made of just solid concrete. Good luck in hearing anything.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Robbgnarly
What amp and what cab?

This.
Amp A may be 30 Watts and Amp B may be 60 Watts.
Amp A could very well be louder than Amp B depending on many factors.
Speakers, amp circuitry, tube or solid state, room size and construction, and a host of other factors.

From personal experience, a 30 Watt AC30 with a 2 x 12 can be louder than a 60 Watt Fender Hot Rod Deville with 4 x 10.
If the drummer is not too loud and has some self control, almost anything will work. And if it's just you and the drummer jamming, the amp doesn't need to be that loud. But to me playing metal pretty much means playing loud.

But yeah, you need to tell us which amp and which cab you are looking at. If the speakers in the cabinet are really sensitive, a low wattage amp could work well. If you want to have clean tones, you may want a bit more power. I'm sure a 25 watt amp could work but it's always safer to have more watts (especially in a metal band).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah I have a 20watt Krank 1980Jr and It can hang with a band, even keeps the cleans at pretty loud levels. I use it with a 2x12 with Celestion G12h30 and can be heard and I play in a pretty loud hardcore/punk band and a prog rock/metal band.

But I have tried other lower wattage amps and they didn't work for me in a band situation (Orange terror series)

This is why we need to know the amp and cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a 5 watt amp that can keep up with a drummer as long as I crank the gain, clean not so much. Best thing to do is try it out.
My RM20 keeps up with the drummer ok if I put it up on a stand right next to me and mike it up - but I don't ever use cleans and like a bit of power amp distortion. Still, it only just keeps up.
But as the others said - what amp? You're effectively asking "how long is a piece of string?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If it's tube, even most 15w amps should be able to keep up. Solid-state? Not a chance.
Quote by zorkychild
Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 with a Vertical 2X12 Cabinet.

you probably won't get those nice channel 1 cleans. i honestly wouldn't have bought a MKV25 with the intent to gig with it. if you are mic'd you should be fine though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, mike it up. Are you on the side onstage? If so sit it next to you at your side, slightly forward on an angled amp stand, facing you and the rest of the band. Mike in front of it for FoH and you'll be fine. Put the head on the stage. Well, unless you get a tricky stand with a head shelf.
This is of course given that you already have the amp. If not, don't. It's not a gigging metal amp. You'd be better off with say, a Mark 4.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, mike it up. Are you on the side onstage? If so sit it next to you at your side, slightly forward on an angled amp stand, facing you and the rest of the band. Mike in front of it for FoH and you'll be fine. Put the head on the stage. Well, unless you get a tricky stand with a head shelf.
This is of course given that you already have the amp. If not, don't. It's not a gigging metal amp. You'd be better off with say, a Mark 4.

+3.1415 don't buy in to the whole lower wattage lower volume. that is bullshit. the MKIV as well as the MKV have power scaling on them. and the big boy iron to really push it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think if you're being mic'd (or using the cab sim out on the back) whenever you play with a drummer, the little mark will be sweet. They are gorgeous sounding amps in a tiny package with a tonne of (usable) features.
I don't think you could use it on it's own if you want cleans at drummer volume, but if you're running a nice PA system with monitors/foldback, it'll be sweet.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by zorkychild
Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 with a Vertical 2X12 Cabinet.

Ummmm, that amp is loud as hell and will annihilate any drum kit in a jam session playing squeaky clean or full shred. No worries mate.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 9, 2015,