Hey.
I got this Ibanez RG 350 DX not too long ago. It didn't have a tremolo bar when I got it so I had to order one online. Finally received it a few days ago. I installed it. It's working except that the guitar makes some strange noise when I'm using it. I'm pretty sure that's not normal. I included a video to show what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddOzHEg9tHU

You might want to turn the volume up, the noises aren't that loud.

Anyone knows?
I'm not too experienced with this stuff, but isn't that the noise springs in the back make?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
I'm not too experienced with this stuff, but isn't that the noise springs in the back make?

That was a good idea. I never thought of checking if the noise were coming from there. Sadly I don't think so. I turned the guitar around and put my ear next the tremolo cavity area and tested it and no it's not coming from there. I even put my fingers on the tremolo springs (to mute them) and it was still making the noises.
Quote by clem84
That was a good idea. I never thought of checking if the noise were coming from there. Sadly I don't think so. I turned the guitar around and put my ear next the tremolo cavity area and tested it and no it's not coming from there. I even put my fingers on the tremolo springs (to mute them) and it was still making the noises.

Then I'm clueless. It sounds like the wood in the neck bending. Perhaps adjusting the truss rod would help? Again, wait for others, I'm not experienced with guitar fixing, I'm more of an amp/gear guy.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
hmm..... my first thought was springs but if you checked that then my next guess is you have to much tension on the trem. is te nut locked down properly? the only other thing i can think of is that the strings are pulling through the nut which might make that noise. can you hear the noise through an amp?
It sounds to me like the blades on your trem are worn down/dull or need to be lubricated badly. They can be lubricated with graphite cheap and easily. If you can change strings comfortably by urself you might want to check the blades first. A worn trem looks like this: http://s62.photobucket.com/user/s2170/media/DSC00224-1.jpg.html

This may very well not be the problem though. Good luck in figuring it out.
Quote by monwobobbo
hmm..... my first thought was springs but if you checked that then my next guess is you have to much tension on the trem. is te nut locked down properly? the only other thing i can think of is that the strings are pulling through the nut which might make that noise. can you hear the noise through an amp?

I checked and yeah the nut is locked very tightly. I don't think the strings are moving at all at the nut level and beyond. Oddly enough, the noise cannot be heard through an amp.

I'm starting to think it might be the neck itself. I've eliminated pretty much every other possible cause. The springs, the bridge itself, the nut and the head(?) of the guitar. It really seems to be coming from the middle of the neck. I'm guessing it might have something to do with releasing and reapplying the tension from the strings, somehow makes the neck move a little which makes the noise. Maybe it's some kind of defect at the neck level.

I'm thinking of bringing it to my local guitar shop. Maybe someone there will know. Thanks for your help guys.

Edit:

Found it! It was the nut afterall. When I first checked the nut, I checked the screws on top, the ones that hold the strings in place. I never thought of checking the screws underneath the neck that secure the nut to the guitar. When I tried to tighten them with an allen key, they were incredibly loose. I tighten them, then tried to use the trem and the noises are gone! Problem solved. Thanks for everyone's help.
Last edited by clem84 at Feb 8, 2015,
^ Sweet.

I was gonna say it might be the truss rod. But yeah that makes sense if the locking nut wasn't tight.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?