I've always admired Les Paul style guitars and was thinking of getting one. I have been looking at Epiphones as I dont have enough for a Gibson. I was wondering if the 57's or the pro buckers can play heavy stuff like Lamb of God or other metal in that tuning region. I plan on primarily playing sludge and blues on it but it would be nice to get more use out of it. thanks!
More than capable man. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro (stock) and it does all sorts of metal fine.

I prefer the D-Activators in my ARZ307, but the Epi isn't really lacking in any way.
Heafy Les Paul, Epiphone Prophecy ESP/LTD EC series.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Fernandes Monterey series.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fernandes Monterey series.

Is Pepsi okay?

One thing to ask for Les Paul-style guitars, and another to ask about actual Les Pauls, I'd say. This forum has a tendency to suggest just vaguely similar guitars of supposed better quality, without seeing the whole picture - why does someone want that particular guitar, is the brand-name important or is it more about the features, and then more specifically what features etc. An ESP is not going to satisfy someone who likes Les Pauls because Jimmy Page played them, and that's as good a reason as any to want a particular brand. If 'Gibson' on the headstock gives the player inspiration to play more and have more fun, then that is worth more than any supposed difference in quality or features in the long run. Furthermore, a vaguely similar body-shape doesn't make two guitars feel the same.

To answer TS's questions, I believe any moderate to high output humbucker equipped guitar will do heavy music well. It's more about the right amp.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Feb 8, 2015,
yeah the ESP LTD EC series any one of those will shred and play rhythm very well
Heafy Les Paul. The trick with this guitar is to turn it over and look at the shaved neck heel. The closest anything comes in the Gibson lineup is the Axcess.

Honestly, there's no issue playing metal with any of the above mentioned guitars.
Quote by HomerSGR
Is Pepsi okay?

One thing to ask for Les Paul-style guitars, and another to ask about actual Les Pauls, I'd say.

TS asked for LP-style guitars for metal. Now, IMHO (and apparently yours as well), anything with HBs will do just fine for most metal. However, I know from experience that Fernandes actually aims the bulk of their product line at guitarists in the harder genres of rock. As such, their guitars tend to have higher-output passives or even EMGs coupled with relatively slender necks.

Not the recipe for ALL metal guitarists, but favored by a great many of them.

It's more about the right amp.

Yup.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The Matt Heafy Les Paul is imo the best metal les paul Epiphone make simply because of the neck heel. The Prophecy Les Paul is a good guitar too though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Matt Heafy Les Paul is imo the best metal les paul Epiphone make simply because of the neck heel. The Prophecy Les Paul is a good guitar too though.

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'd go for an ESP LP style over an Epi any day, personally. But if you want the super classic Les Paul look might as well get the Epi. Or an Agile if you're in the US.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Electra's Omega and Omega Prime guitars are among my favorite LP-clones. They're quite nice in the hand, and their pickups are voiced more like a typical Les Paul. I have a Prime tuned to CGDAEG, so it should handle the drop tunings favored by most metal artists.

(One of the guitarists of The Sword has one, but I think he swapped the pickups to higher output ones.)

http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega-prime

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Quote by TheStig1214
I'd go for an ESP LP style over an Epi any day, personally. But if you want the super classic Les Paul look might as well get the Epi. Or an Agile if you're in the US.

This. The LTD EC-1000T CTM is an amazing guitar if you don't mind it looking more jagged than your typical Les Paul.
Homer: Is Pepsi OK?

No it's not. I hear you Homer and agree. Nuff said.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I am assuming that by liking the style of Les Paul type guitars you are primarily referring to the aesthetics - looks - of the guitar. I can totally feel you on that. Based on that, and that you want to play metal - I have two suggestions for you.

As stated above the ESP LTD EC line of guitars, they offer the looks but have a couple of features that I like over and actual LP, namely a thinner neck profile, and a thinner body.

My other suggestion would be a Charvel Desolation single cut DC-1 ST.
http://www.amazon.ca/Charvel-DS1-Flat-Black-293-1011-550/dp/B005H436S2

You don't see a lot about these but they offer a lot of bang for the buck, I would say even to get the top level (1 series) you are still comparable with an Epi or an LTD EC for price (or maybe cheaper). The body shape is LPish - definitely not as true to form as the Epi or LTD but its basically there, thin body, thin neck profile with a nice oil finish for fast playing, big blocky type inlays on the fretboard, top model comes with either EMGs or SD Blackouts. A couple of things you will get that you won't get with the Epi or LTD - locking tuners, neck through construction with a carved down heal for basically no heal at all. ***One important difference to note, that may be a deal breaker, is that it is a 25.5" scale which is not a traditional LP scale so the strings won't feel the same as a LP. I however liked this as I like to play metal and sometimes drop tune and the 25.5 scale lets me do that without my strings getting all floppy or having to up my gauges significantly.
If you're wanting to play metal, I suppose you could do a lot worse than...

(PRS SE Marty Friedman sig)
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
LTD EC1000 second hand maybe, if you fancy EMG's. PRS SE single cut is an option, thinner neck than the LTD. Most SE's have thin bodies to reduce costs but PRS SE Tremonti LTD series have full size bodies and ultra slim neck. Heavy as f*%k to carry around but closer to the proper LP in weight. Epi's are ok if you can stand the look of that god awful headstock that looks like something a blind man designed.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
get an agile al200 for $200 and mod the **** out of it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A