Page 1 of 5

http://www.psmag.com/books-and-culture/lumbersexuals-and-white-heteromasculine-pageantry

this article isn't very good. it reads the intro of something better but then just stops. so it will serve as the intro to this thread.

know any 'lumbersexuals'? what do you think of the fad? in particular, the author of that article posits (unoriginally so) that 'lumbersexuality' is means for class-privileged, white, heterosexual men to both enjoy the privilege of their status and escape the stigma via some sort of rustic look. does this match your experience?

note: this is a thread about feminism but solely concerned about men. l8r
i don't know why i feel so dry
The lumbersexual fad is a thinly veiled way for dudes to get their repressed homosexual urges out of their systems.
By the way, here is the O.G. lumbersexual:

from the 50s movie All That Heaven Allows and played by Rock Hudson, a gay man. Coincidence?
Teddy Roosevelt fits Eastwinn's description of a lumbersexual perfectly. I'd say he's the O.G.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
There was a lame wannabe country boy fad going on my senior year of high school, I got out of there just in time. Not much is lamer than a bunch of suberbian white kids thinking they're country because they wear flannel, listen to Toby Keith and drive their daddy's truck.
just wear clothes if you like them. fads, psh.

or don't wear any clothes at all. thats cool too.
I think I can get behind this
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
what is the "stigma" of privilege?

i think that the "cult of the beard" is symptomatic of anxiety about what it means to be a (heterosexual) man in a post-industrial, post-sexual revolution world. seems like someone could have come up with a less stupid neologism than "lumbersexuality".

Quote by MeTallIcA313
There was a lame wannabe country boy fad going on my senior year of high school, I got out of there just in time. Not much is lamer than a bunch of suberbian white kids thinking they're country because they wear flannel, listen to Toby Keith and drive their daddy's truck.

the whole privileged (in my experience, northeastern) suburbanites listening to country music is an interesting phenomenon. imo it is more symptomatic of anxiety about what it means to be an "authentic" American in an era when marginalized groups are increasingly challenging W.A.S.P. cultural hegemony.
Quote by neidnarb11890
what is the "stigma" of privilege?

i think that the "cult of the beard" is symptomatic of anxiety about what it means to be a (heterosexual) man in a post-industrial, post-sexual revolution world. seems like someone could have come up with a less stupid neologism than "lumbersexuality".

the whole privileged (in my experience, northeastern) suburbanites listening to country music is an interesting phenomenon. imo it is more symptomatic of anxiety about what it means to be an "authentic" American in an era when marginalized groups are increasingly challenging W.A.S.P. cultural hegemony.

And how does that make you feel?

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I personally prefer org-core

Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
The only things dumber than the look - maybe one out of every five guys who tries it actually pulls it off well - are this thread's premise and the term "lumbersexual" in the first place.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I wear flannels and button ups because I like them. I have a beard because without it I look like I'm 16. Am I lumbersexual now?
Quote by neidnarb11890

I just assumed it was another lame fad, but I see what you're getting at.
I view it as an easy way to try to demonstrate faux 'masculinity' for men who are otherwise insecure about it, not really as a class or race thing.
My God, it's full of stars!
I dress like an outdoorsman when I need to, i.e. when I'm outdoors in cold weather doing shit that requires traditionally held notions of manliness. e.g. punching kangaroos
Quote by caeser1156
I wear flannels and button ups because I like them. I have a beard because without it I look like I'm 16. Am I lumbersexual now?

I'm not sad anymore,
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm not sad anymore,

I'm just tired of this place

16 year old me is nostalging so hard
Quote by Article
ruggedly sensual beard

This gave me the chortles. It reads like a really shitty college English paper.

People like to act and wear and be who they want to be so who cares.

I don't like most fashionable clothing because they're extremely impractical for labor.

I wouldn't wear that stuff because flannel makes me itchy because I get too warm in it.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
In my experience people who dressed like that were punk ass try hard skaters.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I do not wear 'lumbersexual' clothing but I am a upper class white heterosexual male who is confused about how I'm 'supposed' to look/act/dress/think etc. lol.

To an extent I actually do have a 'country' background (spent eight years in a small town with my mom's working-class family) but it would not be authentic if I just started 'acting country'. At the millionaire high school I went to for two years I started to notice this fad take shape and it was typically paired with them driving to school with trucks like these that their parents bought for them on their 16th birthday:

Of course whenever Latino kids at my school drove expensive vehicles people would whisper about them being drug dealers or something.

In defence of some lumbersexuals from what I've seen it isn't just rich white people doing it and there are a lot of people who I don't get the 'pretending to be country' vibe when they do it. But I think all of the different theories in this thread (faux masculinity, trying to be 'authentic' American, trying to be 'rustic', etc.) are all true in different scenarios.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Feb 9, 2015,
Quote by mind_meld
Ohhh, I'm a lumbersexual and I'm OK......

I fap all night and I fap all day
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I fap all night and I fap all day

Reading the original lyrics again after reading that lumbersexual article makes it even more humourous
What if I just like to have a beard, and enjoy the look of plaid/flannel? Why do I have to be put into some artificial category?
Is anyone else really not wincing at the word 'lumbersexual'?

Quote by Eastwinn
what do you think of the fad?

I would rather Nazism come back as a fad instead.

Lumbersexual masculinity is certainly an illustration that certain groups of young, straight, class-privileged, white men are playing with gender. In the process, however, systems of power and inequality are probably better understood as obscured than challenged. Like the phrase “no homo,” hybrid configurations of masculinity afford young straight men new kinds of flexibility in identities and practice, but don’t challenge relations of power and inequality in any meaningful way.

This is a great paragraph, actually.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 9, 2015,
Pretty sure that article is a joke
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Quote by Dreadnought
I view it as an easy way to try to demonstrate faux 'masculinity' for men who are otherwise insecure about it, not really as a class or race thing.

Masculinity isn't real. All masculinity is 'faux masculinity'

Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
the neat haircuts don't make sense with the look.

I usually hang out in a bunch of places hipsters pulling this look frequent and have yet to meet one who wasn't a pretentious knob. This is just about London guys doing this look btw. never met someone with this style who was openly acting any more masculine than anyone else really.

they're usually wannabe male models/artists etc and scoff that the show/whatever is shit and they've been to better while trying to appear "strong but silent". so I suppose they espouse the "i'm a superior being and am correct about everything" masculine vibe. but like most of the fake masculinity out there, they crumble if you call them out in anyway.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
we get them here too. In ALL cases, you will find them with their nose up (they do make good pawns for getting beer recommendations though)

And they do have some pretty sweet mustaches...shit I think I might be turning in to one
Page 1 of 5