Hey guys, would want to ask you what you think the best way / ways to promote yourself ? ( I read the stickied thread )Basically i'm releasing an album by the end of this month, and not many people know me yet, so needless to say i will be releasing it free to the public, now regarding that, i don't really know what to use , i've heard it's a good idea to publish it on more than one platform, aka youtube + soundcloud, i'm not too sure how good of an idea that is, at this stage views / listens matter , the more views someone sees you having, the more likely he/ she is going to want to listen to it, and if i have my views distributed among more than one platform that might affect it , i was inclined to going for soundcloud alone since it looks more professional, but then again, people are more likely to browse youtube than soundcloud, opinions?
Depends on your goals. If you just want a few musicians to hear it Soundcloud might work. Youtube draws a much wider audience and a lot more ears. If you want to create a real fan base, playing live and regularly attracting large crowds is the only sure thing.

Where do you want your music to take you?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Well, i'm serious about my music, the playing live as much as i can is a granted thing , it's just not knowing what platform to use and if i should use more than one, been pondering about it for so long.
Quote by weirdzaid
i've heard it's a good idea to publish it on more than one platform, aka youtube + soundcloud, i'm not too sure how good of an idea that is, at this stage views / listens matter , the more views someone sees you having, the more likely he/ she is going to want to listen to it, and if i have my views distributed among more than one platform that might affect it

I would say you are wrong here, posting your music to as many places as you can, will increase the total of listens. You might consider primarily promoting one platform over the others, but having your music on as many platforms as possible can only increase the people listening.

People will not be actively looking for your music, but rather stumble upon it by accident. People on Soundcloud will not go looking for your stuff on Youtube. If they can't find it on Soundcloud, they just won't know about it.
Quote by weirdzaid
Well, i'm serious about my music, the playing live as much as i can is a granted thing , it's just not knowing what platform to use and if i should use more than one, been pondering about it for so long.

Still not clear about your goals. If you just want to get it in front of maximum ears, post it everywhere for free. If you want to make money from it, start selling it right now. If people will buy it you have a valid marketable product. If they won't buy it, you don't.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Cajun, i'm not trying to profit , not yet anyways. And tofret, won't having 2 platforms have an impact on showcasing the listens one has?
I'd say FB has the most potential listeners. Make a separate account for the band, not a personal one, post good content and pay for their advertising/share etc..