Hey guys, does anyone have any experience with Tung-Sol KT-66's?

I'm thinking of finally getting around to swapping the original 6V6 in my Peavey Windsor studio for the first time since purchase, it's overdue. I like the idea of the extra low end that KT-66's are supposed to provide but I've got no way to test it.

One of the pre's are also getting a little microphonic but i'm just gonna get some 12AX7 for those.

Also does anyone know if using the power sponge on the Windsor lessen the wear on the power amp, because from what I've read, it's strange that my pre's are actually giving out faster than my power tube?
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
I haven't tried the TungSols but I don't like much that comes out of that factory so .....
JJ KT66's sound really good in my JTM45 but if you want big balls bottom end, go for JJ E34L. Great sounding tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I haven't tried the TungSols but I don't like much that comes out of that factory so .....
JJ KT66's sound really good in my JTM45 but if you want big balls bottom end, go for JJ E34L. Great sounding tube.

I'm assuming you mean JJ EL34?
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Ahh okay, I was confused because conventional music suppliers--musicansfriend.com and sweetwater didn't carry them :bonk

I can also handle that from a budget standpoint much better than from big chain suppliers.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Last edited by snappedstrings6 at Feb 9, 2015,
I had a Windsor studio that I modded the hell out of. Removing the power sponge alone helps a lot. I tried JJ EL34,SED EL34, Sovtek 5881 and a Sino 6550. I had best results from using the 6550, more headroom and a nice bottom-end.

Throw JJecc83 in the pre and it will help with the lack of lowend, an EQ in the loop is also a must have if your amp is stock
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I had a Windsor studio that I modded the hell out of. Removing the power sponge alone helps a lot. I tried JJ EL34,SED EL34, Sovtek 5881 and a Sino 6550. I had best results from using the 6550, more headroom and a nice bottom-end.

Throw JJecc83 in the pre and it will help with the lack of lowend, an EQ in the loop is also a must have if your amp is stock

I haven't fiddled with using an EQ because I don't have one. I'll drag the amp into my local B and M to see if i can test one out.

I'm leaving the power sponge in because I live in an apartment and it enables me to play with the best tonal qualities possible while using the Mic sim output. I'll look into both the 6550 and the E34L, hell I might even buy both of them.

I've read that the Windsor can be modded into a JCM 800 relatively easily, but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel doing that. I've also got a big old organ with simply gorgeous speakers that I'm thinking of just turning into a cab (partially because I don't want to have to deal with the massive thing while I'm moving in about 4 months), but I haven't run the cords to try that yet.

Did you have any problems with your reverb circuit when you owned the Windsor? Mine always gets loose and buzzes when I transport the thing.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Quote by snappedstrings6
I haven't fiddled with using an EQ because I don't have one. I'll drag the amp into my local B and M to see if i can test one out.

I'm leaving the power sponge in because I live in an apartment and it enables me to play with the best tonal qualities possible while using the Mic sim output. I'll look into both the 6550 and the E34L, hell I might even buy both of them.

I've read that the Windsor can be modded into a JCM 800 relatively easily, but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel doing that. I've also got a big old organ with simply gorgeous speakers that I'm thinking of just turning into a cab (partially because I don't want to have to deal with the massive thing while I'm moving in about 4 months), but I haven't run the cords to try that yet.

Did you have any problems with your reverb circuit when you owned the Windsor? Mine always gets loose and buzzes when I transport the thing.

I had my Windsor modded to be very HR plexi/JCM800ish and it helps a lot. Unless your going for power tube distortion, removing the power sponge will make the amp much better.
I added an Eminence GB128(which is very greenback with a bottom) to my combo and it made a slight difference, the G12h30 sounded the best of what I tried. because as you know the amp lacks lowend, but an EQ pedal in the loop can help a lot without mods.

If your interested I will find the exact mods mine went through and it was deff more JCM800 sounding than anything. They are not easy mods and most was just removing things that really had no reason being in the signal path.

I don't think the reverb was a stock unit, because it was a MOD tone unit. it sounded good at lower levels, but as you turned it up it got uncontrollable after just before 1/2 on the knob
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 9, 2015,