how i should mute all the strings while im playing the 1st string
thumb muting? palm muting? and you use elbow motion or wrist to change strings?

i think my hand is too small, how you mute? i use this (note i use flesh part of thumb)

E- im touching this string
B- thumb
G- thumb
D-thumb
A-thumb
E- i cant mute it

i use elbow motion and fleshy part of thumb to mute
i have no problem while im playing 2nd string or lower (in pitch)

but while im playing the 1st string, the 6th string many times is making an annoying noise because i cant mute it IF I MAKE a elbow motion to change strings
because my hand is too small, i need only a few milimeters to mute the 6th string

so when i go from 2nd string to 1st string i make a wrist motion instead elbow
to keep 6th string muting

E- im touching this string
B- palm muting
G- thumb
D-thumb
A-thumb
E- thumb

(fleshy part under my thumb in right hand)

i mute the B string with palm mute because else i cant mute the 6th string with thumb

i should to use this method?
Last edited by deepestgrayatr at Feb 9, 2015,
just so we're clear, are you saying that you're using your thumb on your fretting hand, wrapped around over the neck muting all those strings while you play the highest one? If so, that's definitely an odd technique that I have never seen before, and I wouldn't expect it to work well. Use palm muting. Work on your palm muting, and you'll be able to mute whatever strings you want with it.

There are definitely some people out there who use the fret hand thumb to mute the lowest string sometimes, maybe the lowest two, but definitely not four or five strings. That seems like it would put your fret hand at a brutally awkward angle.
i use my right hand for muting (the fleshy part under my thumb), not the left hand thumb,
but even if i palm mute all the strings i cant mute the 6th string
Last edited by deepestgrayatr at Feb 9, 2015,
Then you need to practice a bit more. You should be able to palm mute all of the strings.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Feb 9, 2015,
Quote by deepestgrayatr
i use my right hand for muting (the fleshy part under my thumb), not the left hand thumb,

That sounds equally awkward and not right. Palm mute. It's really the only answer. If you're doing it right, there's no way your hand is too small to do it. It would have to be, like, crazy small.
Find the right position for you picking hand. the one that will enable you to play freely and feel relaxed. than see which part of your hand is closer to the strings. i know players that mute only with picking had thumb - thumb muting technique. And i know other ( a lot more) that usually mute with the palm, but it depends what feels natural to you. Muting with thumb can feel a bit strange at first but you might get use to it is you do it long enough. I mute with my palm. i've found out that is the best way form my picking hand technique.
ok problem solved, i just had a wrong position of my forearm, my resting point in the guitar's body was too low, i raised up a bit and i can mute all the lower strings with palm

thanks everyone