I've never been much of a strat lover, but have basically been given a Mexican Standard that I quite like.. As I've not paid anything for it, I'm quite happy to spend some cash on modding it!

The neck pickup (for some reason) doesn't work.. So that instantly gives me justification to replace the pickups! I've made the guitar play really nice with a thorough set-up, so it's just down to getting "the" sound for me now.

What pickups would you suggest (for a reasonable price, no Bare Knuckles or anything like that!) to get a classic, American tone? I've heard a lot of talk about the Texas Special, is that a good way to go?

Thanks for your advice
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
I actually like the stock pickups just fine for vintage Strat sounds but a lotta players swear by Fralins.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
rose pickups are hand made for that classic 50s tone full of buzz and all that guys put up with in that era. They are about 100$ a set plus shipping. They are also made in america.

perhaps the seymour duncan alnico pro II single coil set

the sinner bare knuckle pickup I'd love to put in a strat actually but that is as classic as an iphone 6 haha
I'll check out the Duncans What do we think of Fender noiseless p'ups, any good?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
for noiseless pickups they are clearer. I played a set very briefly. In positions 1/3/5 you won't get any buzz so I figure a lot of guys will argue it's not that classic fender sound. Luckily a lot of companies have hum cancelling single coils. Whenever you see a 4 wire single coil they are cancelling out the buzz strats do because there is 2 coils inside of each pickup sort of like a humbucker.

I would check out
Dimarzio , Seymour Duncan and Fender have a bunch of classic strat sounding pickups. Rose one of my friends bought for a strat and loved them.

Rose pickups don't have a really great site. So pretty much you pick a price (65$ or 129$ sets) and then they have various types in each price range. This is their site.
http://www.rosepickups.com/apps/webstore/

But as long as you find something you're excited about that is what matters.
Quote by makutoid
I'll check out the Duncans What do we think of Fender noiseless p'ups, any good?

the new(ish) N3s are pretty good. pretty vintage-sounding, though, so that's worth bearing in mind.

i wasn't that fussed on the duncan stacks i tried (though they were in a jackson and I'm guessing the floyd didn't help them to sound as stratty as possible).

the dimarzio virtual vintages are pretty nice for noiseless.

you have other things like kinmans etc. which have a good rep for noiseless as well but i haven't tried them.

i suspect the crux of the matter is- what's the main priority? Best vintage-accurate tone, or having no hum? If it's the former, get regular single coils, if the latter, get something noiseless.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?