Page 1 of 10
Heeeeeey, sup. Last year this was a thing that we did, so let's make it a thing again in 2015.

old planning thread
release thread for the first album
UG Community Acoustic Albums Bandcamp

The basic idea is that you guys write some original songs with the single restriction that they need to be acoustically arranged (we're a little bit lenient on that, though... I'll elaborate later in the post), then you submit them and we compile them all into a super-rad album.

I'll be running this project along with SGstriker, so if you have any questions or whatever feel free to ask either of us.

If you want to participate just let me know. Also, please sticky this thread so that you can stay up to date with everything going on.

The Details
-Submissions can't be covers. Original songs only. Instrumentals are ok.
-Feel free to submit old songs. You don't have to write something new for this.
-One submission per person. This rule is subject to change depending on how many people participate.
-Collabs are cool! If you want to collaborate on a submission with other UGers that's totally fine.
-IMPORTANT: To submit your song, post a link to download your track. Keep in mind that your songs should be in in one of the following file formats: .wav, .aif or .flac. This is so that once the album is finished we can release it on bandcamp. Also, when you post a link to your song, please include your artist name (this will be either your username, your real name, or some sort of other artist name that you want to be credited under) and the name of your song.
-What counts as "acoustic"?
-The focus of the song needs to be on an acoustic instrument.
-Electric and acoustic basses are both acceptable.
-VST samples are allowed. Drum samples must be of acoustic drums/percussion. Orchestral/bowed instrument samples are allowed but cannot be used as the driving force on the track. Keyboards are also allowed to be used to emulate strings/piano.
-Keep to more natural-sounding effects when tracking or mixing (echo, reverb, compression, light chorus or phase, etc).

Deadline
April 7th

Participants*
Jon777
SGstriker
Zaphikh
Dreadnought
mind_meld
luvs2gro
ultimate-slash
tukk04
CaptainCadmium
SirZep
ehbacon
whywefight
TV-Casualty
StewieSwan
chrismendiola
chev311e
RedDeath9
Harlot Hero
Grey Dynasty
korinaflyingv
SaintsofNowhere

*participants who've sent in a song are colored in green
Last edited by Jon777 at Apr 30, 2015,
can i use acoustic electric instruments with tons of distortion and whammy pedal
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If they're prerecorded (as in I did them awhile ago), can I still submit one?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

Ahh.. where's the fun in that

(if that's the case, then I have an old recording that fits the bill, and I'd like to contribute a newer piece also.)
Last edited by Zaphikh at Feb 9, 2015,
Quote by Dreadnought

Absolutely. You guys don't have to write new songs for this. I probably should have mentioned that in the OP.
I have a couple songs that I could record. I guess the one that turns out the best could be submitted here
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Quote by Jon777
yes

(jk, no )

in that case i will just have to use acoustic distortion

distortion without even plugging in to anything
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Hmm the song I wanted to submit has production issues and at a couple parts randomly fades from stereo to mono.

Any idea when the deadline will be around? In March sometime?

Otherwise I only have today to decide what to submit. Which is fine, I just gotta know
My God, it's full of stars!
Count me in!
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Quote by theogonia777
in that case i will just have to use acoustic distortion

distortion without even plugging in to anything

Quote by Dreadnought
Hmm the song I wanted to submit has production issues and at a couple parts randomly fades from stereo to mono.

Any idea when the deadline will be around? In March sometime?

Otherwise I only have today to decide what to submit. Which is fine, I just gotta know

Probably March or April.
Anyone up for mixing a track? I have a digital recording studio but it's still early days working out how to use it (well use it to it's optimum at least)
I would want to try. I've got a new electric-acoustic Yamaha guitar, so I can record very easily now
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I'm in.

I'll try to write and record something new by deadline, but if I can't I do have an older song I'll submit. I do have to ask though, is any distorted guitar allowed at all? Because the older song I have has about 20 seconds out of a ~6 minute song that uses high gain electric guitar tones.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm in.

I'll try to write and record something new by deadline, but if I can't I do have an older song I'll submit. I do have to ask though, is any distorted guitar allowed at all? Because the older song I have has about 20 seconds out of a ~6 minute song that uses high gain electric guitar tones.

I think that should be fine.
Anyone looking to collaborate? I can't be bothered to write lyrics and learn how to mix, master, and record really well.
I'm already maybe 15% done.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
If I have to record my guitar with a pickup does it count as acoustic still?

I don't have a mic so I would have to stuff that one acoustic pickup in my sound hole. I'm listening to it now and it doesn't sound "electric" to me
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Quote by chrismendiola
Anyone looking to collaborate? I can't be bothered to write lyrics and learn how to mix, master, and record really well.

Lol if we collaborated what would you do?
Quote by whywefight
Lol if we collaborated what would you do?

I've already written chord progressions and part of a chorus melody.
I'm a bit torn because I want to do my own but I kinda want to collaborate too....
Quote by whywefight
I'm a bit torn because I want to do my own but I kinda want to collaborate too....

so you can let him send you his stuff and see if you like it?
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by ehbacon
Definitely participating in this again! SGstriker do you want to collab again?

Hell yes I do. It was a great success last year.

you wanna do guitar and me do lyrics/vocals again, or do you wanna switch it up this time? I'm down for anything.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst