A while I've been looking for another bass which to eventually get and recently ive had my eyes on the Dean Ashley Purdy Cadi and the Ibanez Artcore 5 String, the main reason was the small body shaped and light weight, but the Fender Reverse Jaguar has just caught my eye and looks gorgeous, as well as those sounds it produces so I was wondering, does anyone know if this bass can handle lower tuning such as BEAD with thicker gauges if needed, if it can't go that low what would be the recommended, as I have a Gear4music Lexington 5 String which can handle low tuning but I would like to not have to change bass all the time, and also are they good for keeping in tune as well as both my Lexington an Gear4music LA go out of tune after only one or two songs usually.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The reverse Jaguar has a 32" scale. For that alone I would recommend against using it for BEAD tuning.

Which tuning would you recommend is the lowest that a bass of that scale could go then? Like mentioned I do have a 5 string, I just want to know at what point would I have to change my bass.
Why are you opposed to changing basses? Your 5 string is made for BEAD(G) tuning, and if you're worried about changing basses... the main reason you'd have to change is for another tuning, and if you're using multiple tunings you're going to need more than one anyway so... not really sure why you have any reservations about that.

At 32", which is a short scale length for a bass, it could probably handle D Standard/Drop C, but that would already feel a bit floppy without really big strings. I doubt it could comfortably handle C Standard, let alone B. But that's what 5 stringers are for, and you already have one. Use that for B tuning. If you get another bass, use it for something else.
I personally feel it's more convienient to change tuning then bass as I haven't got enough space to have all my basses out at one time, but thanks for the info, I would of course change basses when performing and that but it's just more convienient when practicing.
Quote by Robert2511
I personally feel it's more convienient to change tuning then bass as I haven't got enough space to have all my basses out at one time, but thanks for the info, I would of course change basses when performing and that but it's just more convienient when practicing.

Dude, even if your other bass is in a locked case in another room, getting it out won't take nearly as long as changing tuning that far. Especially considering that going from E standard to B standard is going to require changing strings and adjusting intonation every single time. It's beyond inconvenient, it's absurd. Also, if you take a standard 4 string bass and set it up for B standard, that will almost certainly involve carving out the nut for the low string, to handle an extra thick string. Then, if you put lighter strings back on the bass and tune it back up to E, your low string is going to be loose in the nut.

If you're just going between standard and drop d or something minor like that, then yeah, changing tuning is fast and convenient. But tuning one bass back and forth from E to B is ridiculous. You're seriously looking at restringing + 20-30 minutes of setup work each time you change tuning. Don't do that. It's not more convenient. Go ahead and try it, and see how inconvenient it is. Like I said, even if your other bass is in a locked case in another room, getting it out won't take nearly as long as changing tuning that far.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The reverse Jaguar has a 32" scale. For that alone I would recommend against using it for BEAD tuning.

Tell that to all the doom metal bassists that use Ricks. They are only 33".

I've gotten a 30" down to C with minimal modification with the right strings.
Cry yourself to ash