I have an 800w 8ohm Markbass cabinet that I used for bass guitar in my old band. I am holding on to it because I am wanting to use it for my guitar (not bass guitar). I plan on buy a 100w tube amp and I would like to know if anyone here know if this would work together?
Last edited by Astral_Soul at Feb 9, 2015,
I've tried it and it isn't very good. It sounds flat and lifeless. Great bass cab, shit guitar cab.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I agree, most bass cabinets won't do great for guitar, they're designed to reproduce mainly lower bass frequencies, the treble end that is more critical to guitar probably won't come out as well. I would expect it to be like Cathbard said, dull and lifeless. It would work, but probably wouldn't sound as good as a speaker cabinet designed for guitar.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by pinheadslts75
It can be interesting if paired with a guitar cab but on its own it won't cut it.

i never thought about mixing a bass cab with a guitar cab for the same amp. will have to try it. noted.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Astral_Soul
I have an 800w 8ohm Markbass cabinet that I used for bass guitar in my old band. I am holding on to it because I am wanting to use it for my guitar (not bass guitar). I plan on buy a 100w tube amp and I would like to know if anyone here know if this would work together?

Try it!

We ran a Twin Reverb through an old Kustom tuck and roll 2x15 bass cab and it was awesome. Sounded just like Leslie West of Mountain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kustom_Amplification
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Those old Kustom jobs were a different animal, sometimes would work ok for guitar too. I think they may have used something closer to full range speakers while most are oriented toward bass. Speakers do matter, many keyboard amps use 15" speakers, and those do a good job of full range.

A bit off topic, I have a 1967 Kustom 2x12 guitar cabinet I've used with my Peavey MX since about 1990, being the first year they existed I've babied it for years, going so far as to wrap it in a blanket to avoid damage in a truck bed...sounds great though. You can always tell the original 1967 amps and cabs, they are the only ones that have "By Ross Inc" on the metal Kustom nameplate. The next year they removed that from the label.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i never thought about mixing a bass cab with a guitar cab for the same amp. will have to try it. noted.

If your interest tend towards the ambient or the doomy, the added lows and low-mids can be neat.
My first real stack many years ago was JCM800 and jcm angled guitar cab and jcm straight bass cab.

Sounded seriously awesome.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
It depends on the amp and speaker mix,get it wrong and it's dull as ditch water,get it right and it can be awesome.
There are some great combo's with 15" speakers,
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Here's another thought. How about ONE cabinet that supports both low and high frequencies?

I know I've mentioned this before, but several years ago I built a pair of 2x12s that were each filled with Eminence Delta ProA 12's and a pair of 1165 piezo horns. The Deltas have a resonant frequency of about 52Hz and if you put a pair of them in a cabinet with about 3.5 cubic feet and a pair of 4"deep by 4" diameter ports, you'll get the most out of those speakers in the bass region. That worked pretty well (you could run 50W into each of those cabinets, or you could run up to 800W into them, but the more power you gave them, the cleaner the bottom end was).

But these days I'm running full-range bass cabinets. One is the fEARful 15/6/1, the other is the fEARless F115. Other than the size and the shape, both are similar. The Eminence 15" Kappalite 3015LF driver has a *huge* Xmax and will produce great bass right down to 35Hz. On the 15/6/1, there's a 6.5" 18Sound mids driver that will handle a ton of power, and a 1" tweeter driver (with horn) that will take you right on past 18KHz.

If you take a guitar preamp of any kind (Pod, Axe, Kemper, Mesa, etc.) and mate it with a solid power amp (I'm using a Carvin HD1500 or a DCM1540L), you will get all of the bottom end that regular and downtuned guitars can produce, and all of the mids and high-mids, and even a bit of sparkle at the top end that a normal guitar speaker will cut off. If you use a modelers amp/cabinet simulations, you will hear those sims exactly the way they were intended. And the speaker cabinet will be lighter and more compact than a 4x12. By a bunch. And you can run it upright, on its side, or on its side tilted like a monitor.