Hello, and thanks for reading. I've devoted the better half of a week browsing through endless reviews, PDF manuals, and spec sheets trying to arrive at the best and most budget friendly arsenal of musical instruments. I intend on getting an electronic drum kit (Yamaha DTX 400), and an electric and bass guitar (both still undecided, so recomendations for those would be welcomed (preferably below $200 a piece)).

I have come to realize that an equally important component in musical gear is the amp, but since I will be likely spending nearly $1000 on the instruments themselves, I want to save as much as possible on the amp. I am well aware that good amps are not cheap, so I thought I might cheat by getting a single amp for all purposes. Before you call me crazy, allow me to explain myself: The Simmons DA200s is a full range 200 watt amp with a 12" sub, two 6.5" mid range speakers, and two 2.5" tweeters. It is specifically designed for electronic drum use, and many commenters in forums cite it as adept at playing bass also; however, I cannot find any confirmation it will be able to handle electric guitar use. I understand that not using an amp made for guitar will result in a less than optimal sound, but I think a Tech 21 SansAmp Para Driver DI Instrument Preamp wil solve that problem.

Please provide any and all commentary on the proposed set up. I would very much like to keep my amp expenses around $500. I would also love some further recommendations on other preamp or direct input boxes compatible with both electric and bass guitar, possibly with modeling capabilities (fingers crossed). Thank you so much. I am a complete novice with drums, by the way, and I have not played guitar or bass in years (and I was a novice at best with them also).
Last edited by jackdarko at Feb 9, 2015,
Peavey Vypyr VIP amps are made for guitar, bass and acoustic and would be worth looking at in your situation
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For sure. The 40 watt version caught my eye, but there were several hang ups that made me feel less than confident in it. It had a few reviews about various malfunctions. It is commonly said that getting a clean tone, or navigating through any of the tones can be challenging (and considering my limited knowledge, it might be a hindrance to me). It isn't highly rated for bass use (compared to uing an electric guitar). It relies on software use and my computer is not the most capable of machines.

Thanks for the feedback!
I just read the forum rules, and apparently citing the genre of music I intend to play would be helpful, so if it helps I would say I intend on playing some math rock/progressive rock/experimental rock blend (Minus the Bear/Tool/Porcupine Tree).
60W Vyper Tube.

Edit. Oops, you wanted bass too so yeah, just grab a Vyper ViP
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 9, 2015,
Quote by jackdarko
For sure. The 40 watt version caught my eye, but there were several hang ups that made me feel less than confident in it. It had a few reviews about various malfunctions. It is commonly said that getting a clean tone, or navigating through any of the tones can be challenging (and considering my limited knowledge, it might be a hindrance to me). It isn't highly rated for bass use (compared to uing an electric guitar). It relies on software use and my computer is not the most capable of machines.

Thanks for the feedback!

I can't comment on any issues, I'm not aware of any

The interface is pretty easy it is called WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)

You don't need a computer to use it, the computer hook up is for recording and updates, but you don't need to use it.

Another good choice would be a POD X3, it has guitar and bass modeling, but you will need a powered wedge/speaker to hear yourself.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks cathbard. I am really interested in the Peavey Vypyr line, but there many reviewers criticizing the line for complicated controls, though they are far outweighed by the folks praising it for its abilities. I will definitely give it some more consideration. However, I still need an amp for the electronic drums. Do y'all recommend the Vypyr for the strings, and another amp for the drums?

The Pod X3 seems appealing also, but its got a far heftier price tag than the SansAmp DI box. I will look into it further.
Pod bean and this: http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2583

Bass, drums, and guitar all sound great and it works for vocals and recorded music too. A very versatile tool.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 10, 2015,
The Pod series seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks guys.

Any feedback on the Simmons DA200S? Positive or negative?
Quote by jackdarko
The Pod series seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks guys.

Any feedback on the Simmons DA200S? Positive or negative?

Lots of experience with EV gear including the ZLX. I've never seen or heard of the Simmons before. It might sound great but it is an unknown unknown.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
They aren't complicated at all. Download the manual and have a read of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Geez! So I'm really torn now between the Pod X3 and the Vypyr VIP. I'll keep reviewing and comparing them for now.

Cajundaddy, I'll look into the EV brand also. They seem to have pretty good reviews.

Decisions, decisions...
They Vypyr isn't hard to use at all. There's just a lot of different options. You can turn it on and use the same amp every time, if you want. It's pretty intuitive and it has a ton of uses
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by jackdarko
Geez! So I'm really torn now between the Pod X3 and the Vypyr VIP. I'll keep reviewing and comparing them for now.

Cajundaddy, I'll look into the EV brand also. They seem to have pretty good reviews.

Decisions, decisions...

the pod with a good monitor (EV) would do you far better than just the VIP. that is just my opinion. EV monitors are extremely amazing. this would allow you to do just about anything. even a synth down the road if you were to want one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/