Bonjour,

I'm currently using a 3" Dimarzio Clip Lock strap for all my guitars, and have been trying to battle neck dive with varied success. Happily, my Jackson V doesn't move from a pretty perfect position, and I was able to move the strap buttons on a couple of other guitars. However, I've been unable to stop my Ibanez S8QM from diving massively, and one of my basses isn't so keen to stop sliding.

I've drilled about 6 holes in different places in my S8QM to no avail, and even a hole in the neck joint had no impact, so I just reverted back to the original hole. I'm guessing the only thing left to do is address the strap itself.

Now I really don't want to move away from the Clip Lock; it works for me to have one strap with my wireless pack attached to it that I can clip on every guitar I have and means I don't have straps going everywhere when I put them in their rack. Obviously I'm using the nylon variety now, are any of the variations (cordura, cotton, elastic, leather) more grippy? I bought the 3" strap because I read somewhere that it was a bit more stable with heavier instruments, would I be best to maybe pick up a 2" strap and get myself a camera bag shoulder pad or something?

(Also, any recommendations for lightweight replacement tuners for the S8QM?)

Thanks!
A suede leather strap will fix that for you.
Gotta be suede though.
[404]Signature not found
Add a 1 lb dive weight to the tail of the strap and all neck dive issues vanish. This is the 5 string bass players standard procedure because nearly all of those necks are heavy.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
^^^Yup, or put a pocket in the tail end of the strap and tuck weights into it.

The real lesson here is to NOT buy guitars that are neck heavy...
Know someone who can sew? Get some of the rubber non skid sold in dollar stores, a lot of people get it for cabinet drawers and that kind of thing. Comes in lots of colors, so you might be able to match the strap. Cut out a strip 3" wide and about a foot long, have someone sew it onto the inside surface of the strap. Ditto for a piece of suede leather, that would work but would be harder to sew. Might be able to glue it in too. I've thought about doing one for my Cort, it tends to have a bit of neck dive but not too bad, I usually just deal with it. I can sew it myself, so that's not a problem...learned how when I was a kid.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
We use that non-skid mat, it certainly works well in drawers - getting the cups back in after washing up is a pain. I don't think you would even need to sew it unless you want neat and tidy. You could just wrap a strip in the pad area a couple of times and stick it with a piece of gaff tape.

Come to think of it, I think that would work better than the pieces of rubber I use as non-slip knee pads on my metal resos.
Like others have said, weights are the answer. And/or a less slippery strap.

Also,

Quote by staceap

I've drilled about 6 holes in different places in my S8QM to no avail, and even a hole in the neck joint had no impact, so I just reverted back to the original hole. I'm guessing the only thing left to do is address the strap itself.

You really should have looked into this before doing that.
Quote by the_bi99man
Like others have said, weights are the answer. And/or a less slippery strap.

Also,

You really should have looked into this before doing that.

Ha, yeah, felt like a goose afterwards. I got a bit excited when I drilled a hole in the neck joint of an LP-style guitar and it worked wonders, but hey, lesson learned.
Last edited by staceap at Feb 10, 2015,
I'd be more on the side of weights here. I had a neck heavy guitar and tried the suede strap and it just pulled my t shirts to the point of choking me. A few fishing weights taped to the control cavity cover or in a pouch on the strap will do wonders.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
1lb weight seems easy enough to acquire, might just duct tape it on, finding a pouch appears to be too much effort for what it's worth.

EDIT: Found a suitable-ish patch. I dunno, I'll see what I find online.
Last edited by staceap at Feb 10, 2015,