Has anyone had one of these before? Im looking at one with a marshall cab together for $570 and my current amp head is crap. Is this a decent one? Or is it like the Mg carbon series head (crap)
Anything in the MG series is pretty awful, and I wouldn't pay more than $100 for that stack if I was crazy enough to buy one. You can get leaps and bounds better for almost $600.

What music do you want to play?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I wouldn't get one if they were free.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i wouldn't take one for free, to be honest. i'd feel too guilty about flipping it.

This. I had one -- it was the worst waste of money I've ever experienced. I didn't know what I was getting into. They sound terrible and even worse if you try to compete with a drummer. It sounded like a herd (pod? flock?) of elephants farting in unison when I turned it up.

However, I did manage to sell mine for $300 to a guy in a country band who was only going to use the cleans. If that amp did anything remotely well, it was the cleans. He liked it when he tried it, so I didn't feel too guilty.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I've had the MG50 head and cab. It's loud but that's about it. You could probably get some okay metal tones out of it, but I never really tried. Please get something better. If you want metal, Peavey 6505 or something. Cleans, something Fender or Classic 30.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 10, 2015,
had one briefly as a loner while my amp was in the shop. begged them to fix my amp sooner. the MG series is aimed at beginners and to those who want the look of the stack. sadly the amp itself is a fail. says marshall but sounds little like the real thing when turned up to band volumes. as has been said spend your money elsewhere. guessing you have no real need for a stack.
Quote by KailM
If that amp did anything remotely well, it was the cleans.
I thought the cleans sucked pretty bad.

I kinda liked the crunch though.

Worse thing about them is definitely the speakers - they can make every amp suck.
Still not stellar tone but definitely usable if paired with good speakers.
Quote by Will Lane
You could probably get some okay metal tones out of it if you had a very good sounding distortion pedal and you paired the amp with a very good cab.
FTFY

I'd not get it TS.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Feb 10, 2015,
The cleans are okay...I have a little MG for a practice amp at the house and it sounds alright with my Strat with Texas Specials in it. Taking that a step further I've noticed the MGs take pedals well but you're still not going to have any special tone. I had to play a show at one of the bigger places in DFW with an MG half stack....it was embarrassing having to leave my JCM at the house. It's possible to get a semi-decent sound out of it but there are better options out there.
Had one at a rehearsal space I was using, I was about thirteen though. Thought it was great. Then I brought a 6505 combo along and difference was night and day.

It's solid as a practice amp if you don't turn it up much though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ fffuuuuuck!

Get that TS, hell of an amp and hell of a deal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Ippon

I love my HDM 100. Jump on this.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Ippon
You're referring to the Marshall MG, yea?

The JCA is decent.

Yes, the MG.

The JCA will benefit from an immediate retubing imho, as a side note.
Hmm, to be honest, a secret rig of my bandmate for a while was a Line 6 Pod through the loop of an MG.

Sounded pretty good and got compliments on the tone when we hid the head behind the cabinet.
Quote by ScalaMania
Hmm, to be honest, a secret rig of my bandmate for a while was a Line 6 Pod through the loop of an MG.

Sounded pretty good and got compliments on the tone when we hid the head behind the cabinet.

Well that is an exception. A modeler usually sounds its best through a neutral solid state amp since the "tube warmth" and such are already part of the modeling. And that is what MG can do, make the Pod louder without coloring it too much.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Well that is an exception. A modeler usually sounds its best through a neutral solid state amp since the "tube warmth" and such are already part of the modeling. And that is what MG can do, make the Pod louder without coloring it too much.

For sure. Used MG100 head can be a great, cheap way to push a Pod
Or you could get a clean and better sounding power amp for less money.

It may be be, but when I had one I thought the cleans sucked pretty bad.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

You can pick up a used MG around here for about a dollar/watt.
Cheapest clean power around here haha
OP hasn't come back... maybe we scared him off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Spambot_2

It may be be, but when I had one I thought the cleans sucked pretty bad.

Yeah but thats still the preamp and tone stack doing its work. Pod into FX Return bypasses that shit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by trashedlostfdup
OP hasn't come back... maybe we scared him off.

Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I have one. It was my first amp. At low volumes it sounds fine. When you turn it up it has a muffled sound which I think it more from the speakers than the amp itself. All in all not nearly as bad of an amp as people on here will make it seem, but there are far better choices for the price of a new one. If you can find a cheap one used, go for it.