I have a telecaster I want to customize and I'm thinking about putting a PCB from an effect pedal (like a tubescreamer) in the body. What I want is the same knobs you normally have on the effect pedal, a 4 wire little 59 bridge pickup hooked up to one volume pot. And there is, of course a jack input. The pedal should be switched on with a switch (on/on?) and when it does, a LED should lit up.

How does the wiring look like? Is it even feasible?
Theoretically feasible yes.

Practical feasibility is determined only if you can physically fit the whole PCB within the control cavity and how comfortable you are mounting the PCB controls/pots and leds to the guitar body

Also did you want true bypass or happy to go with the standard tubescreamer bypass.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Artec does / has all kinds of these. if you can find which wire is ground , hot lead and battery ground you're set. Unless you've got a background in electronics where you can read a diagram I wouldn't try it considering you can get all sorts of pre-made ones already. The term is "onboard preamp"

you'd need a stereo jack , you'd need space for a 9v and so forth. But once all is said and done it'll sound awesome.

Joe gore (Tonefiend who is a youtuber and blogger) mounted a PCB based on I believe the rangemaster pedal on a push pull and it sounded great. He had instructions and why each component was used in the development of the pedal. A schematic, parts list and all was mentioned.

this is tonefiend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ2915d_o6I
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Feb 10, 2015,
Quote by Phoenix V
Theoretically feasible yes.

Practical feasibility is determined only if you can physically fit the whole PCB within the control cavity and how comfortable you are mounting the PCB controls/pots and leds to the guitar body

Also did you want true bypass or happy to go with the standard tubescreamer bypass.

I'm going to rout out the body to get a top rout cavity in between the bridge plate and the neck. I'm going to cover it with a acryllic pickguard. For the battery I'm going to rout a hole in the back for a battery compartment. I was thinking about putting the pots at the bottom of the PCB, and a 9V pilot light (instead of the LED) on the control plate, next to the switch to turn the tubescreamer on. I want it to be true bypass and give it the TS808 mod.

Few question, as far as I can see:
- I need to hook up the 4 wires from the pickup to the PCB, how to replace the jack input on the PCB with one or more wires? And which wires, soldered to where?
- Changing the LED with the pilot light. I chose specifically for a 9V one, so it can be operated by the battery power (right?). Is it as easy as to remove the LED, solder two wires where the pins of the LED were inserted to the pilot light?
- How to convert the jack output to one or more wires going to the output?
- Where in all this monstrosity will the volume knob be wired, before the PCB (I think this is ideal) or afterwards?
- Are the knobs from the PCB soldered on the PCB or connected with a short wire? If the latter is the case I can replace the wires with longer ones. If not, can I simply place a wire in between the PCB and pots?

If someone is good in drawing schematics, that will be appreciated
for the questions
every pickup wires are different , so keep this in mind. The easiest way to go about this to make a gain or distortion pedal you're going to be focusing on the guitar signal before it hits the amplifier without pedals so that being said the wires meant for the ground and sleeve wires are the two wires you're going to be altering. Look up the pedals schematic and find out where you'd be soldering. If it looks like a bad idea the EMG afterburner, artec preamps which are modified tone pots with PCB mounted on it are two options. But of course I'm only on the tip of the iceberg.

yeah batteries are a must to power the IC / transistors in the pickup. There is a reason guitars dont have distortion built into them.

all the knobs it depends on the pedals manufacture how they made it. It's no reason not to at least take a peek inside the PCB of the pedal. I was gonna do something similar actually. I learned all about how to design my own schematics, what transistors and IC chips do but I'm yet to do anything with them just yet. It's a lot of stuff to learn in say a weekend from youtube lessons, blogs and countless google searches.

guitarheads.net for artec stuff. I know you want to put a pedal in a guitar which I've thought of but just in case. EMG dealers for the afterburner as well it's a 20db boost in gain for heavier tones.

just my opinions on things of course, good luck
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I think I'll just buy a tubescreamer and start hacking away the electronics, see if it works, and when I succeed, rout the body and all.

thanks!
I have several guitars that have PCB's built in, in one fashion or another.

The early Variax guitars were typified as $200 guitars with $1500 worth of electronics stuffed in, and had no magnetic pickups. Many ended up as donors for projects that moved the electronics into a new build or an existing guitar with magnetic pickups.

The Fernandes Sustainer I have in a couple of guitars is a circuit board that worked best with a rout in the back of a guitar (here a Gibson Axcess Custom):

I have a couple of guitars with Carvin's active/passive preamp setup (it gives you a guitar with active controls, including a master volume, master treble, master bass with a 15 dB boost/cut on either side of the "5" and a blend knob, as well as a pair of coil splits and a phase switch):

And the Chandler ToneX is an active sweepable mids boost (about 16dB) on a push-pull. This is, essentially, a wah pedal (usually used as a "parked" wah).

Last edited by dspellman at Feb 11, 2015,
Thanks dspellman!

If I want to change the 3PDT footswitch with a toggle switch, what toggle switch should I buy? I want it to just switch the circuit on and off.

EDIT: Will this do the trick? And can I wire it the same as with the foodswitch? Just asking to be sure
Last edited by icanhasgodmode at Feb 12, 2015,
You don't even need to route out the body if you design and etch your own PCB.
See link in my sig on how to make a PCB.

Quote by icanhasgodmode
Thanks dspellman!

If I want to change the 3PDT footswitch with a toggle switch, what toggle switch should I buy? I want it to just switch the circuit on and off.

EDIT: Will this do the trick? And can I wire it the same as with the foodswitch? Just asking to be sure

That looks like it would do the job fine.
Although I can't tell the actual physical size from the pic or description.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 24, 2015,