Hi

I will buy some bass for home recording. I play metal, In flames, Insomnium, At the gates, Amon amarth, Carcass, Entombed...mostly standard C tuning.

Here is the list:

Ibanez SR400
LTD-B50
Ibanez EDB600
Cort C4H
Schecter SGR C4
Schecter RIOT 4DLX
Ibanez GSR 200
Washburn XB125
Last edited by venndi88 at Feb 10, 2015,
Can never go wrong with Ibanez, the SR series is good. What's your budget? I'd also suggest looking at some Fender Jazz basses.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Last edited by CNC-Digity at Feb 10, 2015,
Another +1 for the SR400 here.
I'd also suggest checking out a SBMM SUB Ray4 since it should be in your price bracket, they're fairly good quality and they sound like a Stingray. What more could you want? Well, probably a lot of things, but at least try one out
I'm from europe, my budget is something 250 euro. Here where I live, there isn't a big choice...
I look used bass guitars.
I found a BTB 405QM - 250euro
I see there is two different SR400, one with 5 knob, and one with 4 knob...is there any noteworthy difference between these two?
And there is a SR405, but its cost too much...

So, what do you think about BTB405QM, and worth to buy 5 string bass guitar? - the SR400 is 280, the SR405 is 300.
5 strings in my opinion are a love it or hate it kind of thing. I know a few people who despise them and me I fell in love with them the moment I bought one, which happens to be an SR405. I'd say sit down at a shop if you can with a 5er and see if it seems like something you would like.
I'd advise against a Schecter SGR. The SGR series was shortlived, and for good reason. They were not up to the standard that Schecter wanted. They can be found cheap as hell these days, because the only new ones left have been on shelves for quite a while, and stores just want to get rid of them. Just to get an idea of how cheap they were: they ship with light gauge strings, and putting heavier strings on them (which you would definitely do for C tuning) voids the warranty. So yeah. Don't mess with that. The Diamond Series Schecters are great, but that SGR nonsense, not so much.

That said, I bet that Riot 4DLX feels real nice. But really, just go play some basses and see what feels right.
Regarding the thread title, you can use any bass* for metal; it's all about the setup. You could easily use a Hofner Cavern bass for a metal and get a decent tone with the right strings and setup.

Focus on getting 'a good bass', not 'a good bass for x'. I would recommend a PJ bass for versatility, or a PH. That said, an SR400 is a damn fine bass for the money too.

*Except a Rickenbacker. Shoo.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Feb 12, 2015,
Thank you guys!

There is an Ibanez BTB 405QM, what do you think about this bass guitar?
My main two basses are 4 & 5 string versions of the SR500. I've used a couple of Schecter Studio Elites & and MTD Artist 5 at one point. IMO, the tone I get from the Barts > anything else I've played.
Quote by Spaz91
Regarding the thread title, you can use any bass* for metal; it's all about the setup. You could easily use a Hofner Cavern bass for a metal and get a decent tone with the right strings and setup.

Focus on getting 'a good bass', not 'a good bass for x'. I would recommend a PJ bass for versatility, or a PH. That said, an SR400 is a damn fine bass for the money too.

*Except a Rickenbacker. Shoo.

This, except for the extremely biased comment about Ricks. I think a certain Motorhead bassist would disagree.
What do you think about Ibanez K5 and Ibanez SR505?
Which would be your choice? Which pickups is more for metal (Bartolini MK1 or ADX5N/ADX5B)?
Sr505 is a solid bass, but make sure it's the Indonesian made model, NOT the Korean made model. The Indonesian models are very nice, but the Korean models have much thicker necks and the overall quality seems a bit shoddy to me.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by venndi88
What do you think about Ibanez K5 and Ibanez SR505?
Which would be your choice? Which pickups is more for metal (Bartolini MK1 or ADX5N/ADX5B)?

It's really about preference. I really love the tone of the MK1 pups, but I've heard others who hate them. To me, they're really warm and responsive. I've went through a bunch of different basses before I settled on the SR500s. It's really about just playing a bunch of different ones and seeing what you like and don't like.