My opinion is that this song is in key of E. (but Im not 100% sure).
Reasons why:
The root note is E
Licks are in E pentatonic
Other chords in song are : E5,A5,H5,D5
The chord that gives me problem is G (that dont belong in that key) in that part where chord progression is G-D-A

So what you guys think?
Last edited by Ilisariss at Feb 10, 2015,
The song is definitely in E. G is the II chord of e pentatonic. G is G B D, E penatonic is E G A B D.
So when the song is in key of E chords that you can use in a song can be from any E scale?
There's a mistake in Deth5evers post, G is definitely not a part of the E pentatonic scale. It's a part of E minor though.

The song is still in E, but I guess that the G chord is a borrowed chord. That part does sound a bit off don't you think?
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Feb 11, 2015,
The main riff is E-D-A (the most typical AC/DC progression). It's in E.

The chorus progression is A-E-B-A-B x2 G-D-A-G-A x2, then A-E-B-A-B x2 G-D.

You could call the bVII-IV-I the "AC/DC cadence". The chord progression of the song is actually just bVII-IV-I in three different "keys" (and no, there's actually no modulation - it's just the bVII-IV-I of a key) - verse in E, chorus in B and A. You could actually see it as just three chords, E, A and B (plus the G-D in the end of the chorus) - the whole verse is just E major and the chorus is B-A-B and G-D in the end. Both G and D are borrowed from the parallel minor.

G is not the "II" chord of "E minor pentatonic". G is the III chord of E minor. It doesn't matter what scale you use. If the song is in the key of E minor, G major is the III chord. Now we are in E major, so we call it bIII (because it's a major chord built on the flattened 3rd scale degree).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Its easier explanation that he used power chords (5) so there is not not 3rd in chord from E minor pentatonic scale E-G-A-B-D-E.

But mostly I agree with MaggaraMarine
Quote by Ilisariss
Sorry but G is a part of E blues minor pentatonic

Congrats on getting that. Now go and learn the difference between a pentatonic scale and the minor pentatonic scale.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Congrats on getting that. Now go and learn the difference between a pentatonic scale and the minor pentatonic scale.

When talking about pentatonic scale, I usually assume it to be minor pentatonic, not major pentatonic (maybe because minor pentatonic is so common in rock music). When people talk about guitarists only using pentatonics, they usually refer to minor pentatonic. A pentatonic scale is actually just a scale with 5 notes. Minor pentatonic is a pentatonic scale, same with major pentatonic - and there can be even more pentatonic scales than those two. Any scale with 5 notes (per octave) is a pentatonic scale. But yeah, being more precise doesn't hurt.

Quote by Ilisariss
Its easier explanation that he used power chords (5) so there is not not 3rd in chord from E minor pentatonic scale E-G-A-B-D-E.

But mostly I agree with MaggaraMarine

Yes, all of the chords have root notes from the Em pentatonic scale. But even power chords have a function. They function as either major or minor but not really both at the same time (and they don't always have a function). In the AC/DC song I would say all of the chords are major chords (they actually play most of them as major chords, some of them are just power chords, though).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 11, 2015,
One thing that I have noticed is solo that Angus in any live preformance didnt play like is recorded on album. That is so strange because solo from record in my opinion is better than the solo that he plays in live preformance
^ Angus usually improvises live. I'm pretty sure he also improvises in the studio. His solos aren't usually that planned.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
When talking about pentatonic scale, I usually assume it to be minor pentatonic, not major pentatonic (maybe because minor pentatonic is so common in rock music). When people talk about guitarists only using pentatonics, they usually refer to minor pentatonic. A pentatonic scale is actually just a scale with 5 notes. Minor pentatonic is a pentatonic scale, same with major pentatonic - and there can be even more pentatonic scales than those two. Any scale with 5 notes (per octave) is a pentatonic scale. But yeah, being more precise doesn't hurt.

I guess you're right, I could've been more specific. But even though my point was well hidden it's not any less valid. If were talking about E major, G is not a part of the corresponding pentatonic scale.
^ You are right, but E minor pentatonic is really common in E major songs. It's just bluesy.

I don't think it's incorrect to call it the pentatonic scale. But yeah, as I said, being more precise doesn't hurt.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Sure, I understand the point, and it's better for the TS that we clarify these things. We're supposed to help here after all.
Note: pentatonic scales only have 5 chords. Minor pentatonic scales, and major pentatonic scales have 5 state Quintet (eighth) and two pentatonic Quintets.
+1 to Maggara and guitar/bass. They got this.

Also, there are WAY more than 5 chords in a pentatonic scale. I can think of at least ten. Five root notes maybe.

Either way, in this style, the pentatonic scale is not the source of the chords, the E major scale is.

And as is typical of rock music, we borrow from E minor as well.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp