Hey everyone,

Just a quick question.
I'm looking at buying the ESP LTD EC-407BFM 7-String guitar. First time diving into the world of 7 strings ;-)
But i'm a little confused. I've seen it listed as a Baritone on few sites.....Is this the case with all 7 strings?

I'm aware of the whole scale length/tension scenario with 7 strings in general, but i'm not sure if this is just a matter of websites being super specific!

Not that it really matters, it's a bloody nice piece of kit. i'm just curious

Thanks!!

Aaron
Baritone's are guitars that have a longer scale length, usually ~27" instead of 25.5" or 24.75".

That said, the ESP LTD EC-407BFM you're looking at is a very sexy baritone 7 string guitar.

Not all 7 strings are baritones. I can think of a few Agile 7 strings that are 25.5" scale.
Typically, a "baritone guitar" is a guitar with a slightly longer scale length compared to most, and tuned significantly lower. B Standard is probably the most common. I've seen 7 stringers referred to as baritones, which I guess could technically be right, as they do have longer scales than 6 stringers, and are tuned to B Standard. Personally, I think that's a bit confusing since they're not quite the same, considering that a 6 string guitar tuned down two and half steps offers different chords in the open position than a 7 string, which gets that low by just adding an extra string, without downtuning the other 6.

If I remember correctly, I think I've seen some actual "Baritone 7 strings" which are even longer scale length, and tuned another 2 or 2.5 steps down from B, so like G or F#. But I'm pretty sure the LTD you're looking at is not that. It's a standard 7 string, and I think that's just part of ESP/LTD's marketing.
Quote by Somekid94
Baritone's are guitars that have a longer scale length, usually ~27" instead of 25.5" or 24.75".

That said, the ESP LTD EC-407BFM you're looking at is a very sexy baritone 7 string guitar.

Not all 7 strings are baritones. I can think of a few Agile 7 strings that are 25.5" scale.

Ah, this could be it, too. I've always thought that the tuning had more to do with defining "baritone" than the scale length, but that would definitely explain it. Almost all 7 stringers that I've seen are 26.5"-27", and are not being called baritones by their manufacturers. Schecter's 7 stringers, for example.
Quote by the_bi99man
Ah, this could be it, too. I've always thought that the tuning had more to do with defining "baritone" than the scale length, but that would definitely explain it. Almost all 7 stringers that I've seen are 26.5"-27", and are not being called baritones by their manufacturers. Schecter's 7 stringers, for example.

The tuning has a bit to do with it, usually baritone 6 strings are tuned in BEADF#b. The extra scale length helps keep the strings usable without needing to use bass guitar strings to keep the tension. (Now laugh, that was a joke.)

7 strings with a 25.5" scale seem to be kind of rare, but they do exist.
Ahh you guys are legends!
High fives all round ;-)

Must say though, it does seem a bit odd to market it as a baritone with a 25.5 scale lol
Quote by Somekid94

The regular EC-407 is 25.5 and they even made an 8 string or 2 with a 25.5 scale
Quote by Somekid94

25.5" 7 strings are crazy common.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Generally, Baritones have scales of 27-28"

They're also generally six-string guitars tuned to baritone (BEADF#B) tuning.

Most seven strings are Extended Range Guitars, not Baritones, because most are tuned to standard (EADGBE) with the seventh string tuned to a B below the low E. There are longer-scale seven strings (this generally results in a better-sounding low B string), of course, but they're generally not referred to as Baritones.

And, of course, if you have a longer-scale seven string guitar, you can tune it to whatever you like, and there are people (well, we include jazz players in that general definition) who tune 27-28" guitars to EADGBE standard tuning and just love it (see Jim Soloway for a reference on this)
Quote by AaronTUK
Weird how they market it as a baritone though

I don't know where you're getting this idea, it's spec'd with a 27" scale length, which is a baritone scale so it's being marketed as a baritone. Where are you getting that it's a 25.5"?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Most of 7 string are 25,5 and still can be downtuned with great sound and playability. I have 25,5 and 26,5 . Preffer longer scale. However its easier to solo on 25,5. Check out mh 417 its shred machine
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't know where you're getting this idea, it's spec'd with a 27" scale length, which is a baritone scale so it's being marketed as a baritone. Where are you getting that it's a 25.5"?

Scale alone doesn't make it a baritone.

Jim Soloway marketed a series of guitars that had 27" necks that were designed to be tuned to standard. Some had a wider neck (1 13/16ths" wide nut and retained that extra 1/8" all the way down to a custom bridge). Jazz and fingerstyle players loved them. He's retired from building over the last couple of years, but the guitars were exceptional. There's nothing that says that a 27" scale is necessarily a baritone.