Page 1 of 2
anyone ever had to compile software first because no binaries are available

and the website is like "haha just open up cygwin, cd to the src, and type make, that will totally work!" but it totally doesn't and you're sat here dick in hand wondering how you haven't torn it off yet?

moreover, have you ever been chillin on windows like "how do i do thing?" and you google it and all you find are articles like "lol okay now hit up that terminal like"

$ super BASH brothers -o -ugh minterman22.c

so then you search "how do i do thing on WINDOWS" and you get a stackoverflow page with some neckbeards saying "well, aktoolly, if you just ran an obscure fork of fedora linux [THIS IS A REAL THING] you wouldn't have this problem haha micro$oft" then the thread gets closed before anyone says anything useful

i am missing dependencies in cygwin (a mediator between productive people and linux nerds) so i'm sitting here downloading them all so i can compile another compiler that itself generates compilers on the fly fuck off.

please corroborate my theory that computers are shit
i don't know why i feel so dry
"Computers are dumb. People make them smart." - My Java programming professor 3 years ago

Get with it, losewin
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Eastwinn
they failed to make them smart hmu

This could be
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Computers are pretty dumb, I agree. If only they could understand English I wouldn't have to learn dumb programming languages.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

But Cygwin is crap. You can't graft Linux into Windows. It's like trying to replace your own dick with a horses. In theory, the end result would be cool, but in practice it's a ****ing mess and a bad idea all around.

Just install Ubuntu, or better yet, Linux Mint and use that like all the cool kids do.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
^ found him

Quote by Godsmack_IV
eastwinn, you're going to regret this thread when computers become self-aware

nah computers will like me because i am a REAL PROGRAMMER and will thus understand their occasional segfaults and architecture specific performance issues. when they want a solution i won't sugarcoat it, i will give it to them in PURE ANSI C99 for them to COMPILE NATIVELY.

EMBEDDED SYSTEM SUPPORT

TRACING JUST-IN-TIME COMPILERS

BITS SO 64 YR NINTENDO COULD RUN IT
#ubanter

I'm not nerdy enough to know what any of that means but yes computers will kill us all, my laptop already tried to kill me.
Quote by Eastwinn

nah computers will like me because i am a REAL PROGRAMMER and will thus understand their occasional segfaults and architecture specific performance issues. when they want a solution i won't sugarcoat it, i will give it to them in PURE ANSI C99 for them to COMPILE NATIVELY.

EMBEDDED SYSTEM SUPPORT

TRACING JUST-IN-TIME COMPILERS

BITS SO 64 YR NINTENDO COULD RUN IT

did you even stop to consider that maybe the computer doesnt want your solutions? maybe you should offer your sympathies instead. only then can you work out these relationship issues you've been having with cygwin.
No, I can't say I've ever had to compile software first because no binaries were available and the website was like "haha just open up cygwin, cd to the src, and type make, that will totally work!" but it totally didn't, and I sat there, dick in hand, wondering how I hadn't torn it off yet.
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
the pointer sizes don't match up SO SUCK MY DICK
Quote by Jon777
i am a comp sci major

these are my life struggles

i'm so sorry
Quote by Jon777
i am a comp sci major

these are my life struggles

Take my advice and get out now
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Take my advice and get out now

exit(1);

hahahahaha
ha ha ha ha
break;
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by WCPhils
i use a mac

wouldn't make this any easier

just cooler
disagre

also I was 2 years in and was like **** this i'm out

and then I dropped out of college

best decision of my life
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

My computer randomly stopped working, so now I need to go out and buy a large flashdrive to back up all my stuff because my hard drive randomly stopped working years ago.

Technology is lame.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
My computer randomly stopped working, so now I need to go out and buy a large flashdrive to back up all my stuff because my hard drive randomly stopped working years ago.

Technology is lame.

You could just buy a new hard drive. HDDs aren't expensive and it really is as easy as switching two cables.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
You could just buy a new hard drive. HDDs aren't expensive and it really is as easy as switching two cables.

Good idea. Didn't even consider buying a new hard drive, I didn't think they would be that cheap.

I had a crappy SSD. That thing literally just broke itself
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Good idea. Didn't even consider buying a new hard drive, I didn't think they would be that cheap.

I had a crappy SSD. That thing literally just broke itself

Well SSDs are supposed to be very durable and reliable, so that's pretty odd tbh.

If you want to spend money on an SSD then I'd do that. They cost a bit more per GB though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

this one time when i was a kid i squeezed a bunch of tic tacs into the floppy disk port and it didnt even send them to my friend

dumb computer was dumb, mad dad was hatin'

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by eGraham
Well SSDs are supposed to be very durable and reliable, so that's pretty odd tbh.

If you want to spend money on an SSD then I'd do that. They cost a bit more per GB though.

My bad, I'm getting the names mixed up. I don't know much about hard drives. An HDD is what I used to have, an actual spinning disk drive. I defiantly don't want another one of those.
I still have no freakin idea how to copy and paste .only thing I like on computers is youtube.hell I had a computer april 1 2006 .hell I barely can turn it on.ha ha .don't dowmload anything .my old computer had 2 cup holders but dam 2 close together only could have one cup of coffee at one time .
Quote by JamSessionFreak
this one time when i was a kid i squeezed a bunch of tic tacs into the floppy disk port and it didnt even send them to my friend

dumb computer was dumb, mad dad was hatin'

I did a similar thing except it was biscuits and my grandma's VCR. I don't remember it cause I was like 3 years old but we only found out why it was broken when the repairman came out to have a look at it.

I like to imagine he's like "Well there's your problem" as biscuits rain out of the upended VCR
Quote by bradulator
I have a chromebook

I always took you for the Macbook type
Last edited by Fat Lard at Feb 11, 2015,
Page 1 of 2