I'm wondering, does anyone care about this or not? But a lot of bands seem to have that certain "stage look". I'm thinking mostly of metal bands here. Not the black metal corpse paint and leather spikes look, but more like modern bands like Trivium or Machine Head, Arch Enemy and whatnot. Is this planed or does it just happen? Because even if they wear a simple tshirt or undershirt, it looks gnarly and destroyed and shit.

Whats your thoughts on this? Is it good to dress up for stage? Not like KISS or anything, just have set of badass looking clothes? Or is it to gimicky. Would it help a young band out to figure out their stage look or it just doesnt matter? I've just recently started thinking about this, since i figured that when we hit the stage, we just wear our favourite band tshirts or whaver, so we dont really make an impact or anything visually. So yeah, im just looking for general opinions or experiences you had with making a band look good on stage.

To clarify, this is the type of thing i mean, kinda badass, but not over the top:

Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I always found it extremely cheesy. But then again I'm not the type to wear band shirts either so
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Nothing wrong with that at all. The band should have a unified look of some sort, regardless of what it is. Whatever you do, do not wear your own bands t-shirt on stage. I can't begin to tell you how lame that is.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Depends upon how you want to be viewed both by fans and the people who are promoting the show. I'd say however anarchic you want your image to be you need to seem professional to everyone you work with. That may or may not involve what you wear. Turning up on time, being well prepared, having decent gear, being pleasant to people and all that stuff is all part of it and thinking about your look and stage persona does matter. You don't have to wear a uniform but a few simple guidelines can make you look like a band. My band have an anything goes policy, so long as it is mainly black, our female singer wears red so clearly on stage the focus is on her which is what we wanted.

Image is probably more important than it should be, what image do you want?

I'm a wrinkly old guy, who is the last person to be giving 'fashion' advice but I'd say give it some thought at least.
Stage persona and clothing can be important depending on how you want to be perceived as a group. But i think it's one of those "all or nothing" choices, either everyone goes full out with it, or no one does.

I play with many jazz groups, and while we don't have a persona like metal and rockbands do, we certainly dress for the style we play. Suit, tie and polished shoes is my usual clothing of choice when gigging. When we play gigs with a singer they have to stand out more than we do, so for a female singer she would often wear a very strong color (red/blue/green dress) while we wear black or grey suits, and with a male singer the band wears black while he could wear another color to stand out from the band (grey/wine red).

So yeah, in my opinion a unified look can help. If you all look too different it doesn't give the same effect, but if you look exactly the same that probably would be boring for a metal/rock group.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
'course.. If you're gonna play like, put on a show <.<
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
I think that it matters tremendously, but its nothing to slave to. I had a buddy that wore cargo shorts and white socks, running shoes, etc when he played live. they were so good too, but he always looked like he came off the back of the fishing boat. Wear some Jeans, a nice T, and you should be fine for anything - but really, just stick to your genre and try not to look like you don't belong there.

It's a balance, because all show and no go is awful.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I always dress for stage. I don't want to look like I should be in the audience. We don't play metal so we don't dress like the pictures you posted, but we do dress well. I look around for stage clothes, and have a lot of things I bought just for stage, never worn any other time.

Here are some examples

tele_2 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

strat6 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

lapsteel4a by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

I have more, just don't have many pictures...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I think that it matters tremendously, but its nothing to slave to. I had a buddy that wore cargo shorts and white socks, running shoes, etc when he played live. they were so good too, but he always looked like he came off the back of the fishing boat. Wear some Jeans, a nice T, and you should be fine for anything - but really, just stick to your genre and try not to look like you don't belong there.

It's a balance, because all show and no go is awful.

Brought to mind this list, particularly #4.
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/02/27/17-things-local-bands-just-dont-get
I'm not particularly bothered. If the visuals are an element you go for, fantastic. If not, that's great too. Say you all disagree on exactly how flamboyant to be, don't let that stop you either!

Personally, if I were gigging and not just a bedroom guitarist I'd definitely dress up for it, but then if I had the cash I'd dress up constantly, so...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Just make sure to look the way you want to carry your message across to your audience.
Have your own look that matches who you are and makes you a professional at what you are doing on stage.
Quote by CNC-Digity
Nothing wrong with that at all. The band should have a unified look of some sort, regardless of what it is. Whatever you do, do not wear your own bands t-shirt on stage. I can't begin to tell you how lame that is.

True, HOWEVER if there's a scene for your kind of music - wear the other bands' shirts! It shows support, looks cool and they'll probably return the favor one way or another
Quote by Omnius
True, HOWEVER if there's a scene for your kind of music - wear the other bands' shirts! It shows support, looks cool and they'll probably return the favor one way or another

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Hardlycore
Dress for success.

Three perfect words.

I don't think stage clothes are a necessity by any means, but a band needs to 1) look like a band and not just a rabble of shaved baboons, and 2) most importantly, look like they belong together.

Okay so those are largely the same point I admit, but I think it's a good one to make. If two of you wear typical 90's grunge-style clothes and the rest look like a bunch of ska musicians then clearly something needs to change. Someone needs to dress a little more like the others for it to look right.

Then again disharmony can be a style all of it's own... if that's what you're going for...
In my opinion, a semi-unified look is good, but the examples you gave are a bit extreme. If that style is truly YOU, then take it to the stage, but just a little more effort than your usual dress sense looks better IMO. Simple is probably better, and the truer to yourself, the better too.
I don't know. I never really think about stage clothing, but then again, when I show up to watch shows in the same genre I often get asked by security what band I'm in.

So I guess dress the same way that you would dress to a show of the same genre, and then security will know your not the audience.