Hey, I am currently getting some pedals to start playing rhythm guitar at my church. I just purchased a Timmy, and now looking for another stage of gain to stack with it. My budget isn't huge, fyi. I have been impressed with the sound from electro-harmonix's soul food (based off the klon). Anybody know if these two would pair well? Or also anything not too expansive that would? Thanks
this may sound stupid, i just didn't read clearly enough to know this. do you want a volume gain with the stacked pedal or just more gain at the same volume?

my main OD is a timmy into a tremoverb. i don't stack it.

my other rig is a zendrive into an OCD (stacked) into my orange dual terror i have both of these pedals at unity gain with the amp and while stacked. it stays the same volume just with more of a distorted tone.

i run a MI audio blues pro into a BBE green screamer on my MKIV, but i only engage the green screamer for a boost like in to a lead. and i engage both always with the third channel with the graphic EQ.

generally speaking, OCD's aren't the most friendly. i love my zendrive, it is very sensitive to response and dynamics. a TS is a TS, some have more function. if you want a TS, i would look into something with more diversity, a cmattmods signa drive, or even a way huge green rhino, or another dozen. my MI audio blues pro is amazing. i don't exactly know why there aren't too many people using them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
They would work well together. They both work well as either a medium gain overdrive or a boost so pick the flavors you like best for your low gain and medium gain. The Soul Food will push some mids when gained up and the Timmy will have a somewhat gritty and spongy sound with no mid hump.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
They would work well together. They both work well as either a medium gain overdrive or a boost so pick the flavors you like best for your low gain and medium gain. The Soul Food will push some mids when gained up and the Timmy will have a somewhat gritty and spongy sound with no mid hump.

i don't hear any spongeyness with my timmy. also the soul food isn't a very high gain OD, which could either be what you are looking for or the complete opposite.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't hear any spongeyness with my timmy. also the soul food isn't a very high gain OD, which could either be what you are looking for or the complete opposite.

I guess I'm hearing a natural amp-like squish in the lows when the gain goes up. It's not a tight and focused sound, unless you turn the bass cut up a fair amount.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I guess I'm hearing a natural amp-like squish in the lows when the gain goes up. It's not a tight and focused sound, unless you turn the bass cut up a fair amount.

off of curiosity, how does the rat play with the OD's? that could be cool. i never got around to picking up a rat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
off of curiosity, how does the rat play with the OD's? that could be cool. i never got around to picking up a rat.
WELL LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE RAT AND OD'S

Works very nice. I use my SF for spark, and then I turn on the RAT (which is after the SF) to get into grime and hard clipping. The SF boosts the RAT out of the fuzz-like tone I have the RAT set to with those glorious mids. I suggest strongly. I imagine a RAT boosted by the Timmy would be along the same lines.

Boosting the Timmy with another OD could potentially work as well, it just depends on how much gain you want to add.
I use 2 OD pedals most of the time Most of the time the gain is pretty low, so it's an output boost to tighten up a distorted amp
Based on the fact that you are using it for rhythm guitar in a church setting the SF would be a very good fit. I have one and love it. I use it for very low gain to make slightly dirty clean tone which had a nice sparkle to it. In my experience it stacks well with other ODs that I have used, usually with the SF in the front. Also the SF has a buffer, so it may kill two birds with one stone if you are looking for a buffer to add to your chain.
i find a middier od (ts or sd1-style) pairs nicely with a more transparent od like a timmy.

not sure i ever stacked them but i don't see why the soul food wouldn't work- but its tone (at least at cleaner settings) isn't a million miles off a timmy, so (like trashed says) that might be either exactly what you want, or exactly what you don't

are you using them as boosts or standalone overdrives with a clean (or cleanish) amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly, a tubescreamer or Klon based OD paired up with a Timmy or bluesbreaker style circuit (Cmatmods Butah, Keisman Early Bird, JHS Morning Glory, Mooer Blues Crab) is pretty much the latest thing for playing rhythm or lead in a church setting. The midrange aspect of a tubescreamer style pedal with the more flat voicing of a Timmy or bluesbreaker type set low will stack very well and compliment each other nicely. Stacked, they will produce a strong and sustaining overdrive that's still smooth and not overly metallic. I think you'll be pretty happy with the SF and Timmy pairing. I'm more for the screamer+bluesbreaker route if I want to do that sort of thing, but that's just different horses for different courses.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5