Would like some advice and/or recommendations picking one. General feel is it would need to have a wide variety of options as I play a pretty wide variety of music (I play lead guitar for an alternative rock band and a progressive metalcore band, and have a tendency to learn anything in between that I like the sound of).

Anyway, my gear currently consists of an ESP LTD MH-1000 (fixed bridge version, I'm not overly keen on whammy bars) going through a Roland Cube 20XL (discontinued sadly but an excellent and extremely versatile practice amp). I've currently got a deposit down on a Marshall, which I'm 90% sure is a MG250DFX, which cuts a little versatility but it's still solid and a very nice amp, and I will have this soon as I get my paycheque end of this month.... sigh...

More to the point, I'm looking for a pedal to use to give me that extra bit of versatility that I will inevitably want in the new gigging amp and also so I can go between clean tones and dirty tones more easily than with my current crappy 10 quid foot switch for channel change.

Looking for the best quality that I can get for a not ridiculous price, there isn't any real limit on the budget for something good enough, I'm not an expert on foot switch prices so unsure what really to expect but anything past £100 would need to be quality and solid as well, as I've heard a lot of stories about them breaking with too much use and I don't want to be forking out another sum to replace a broken one as I need a new 7-string for my metal band which will probably be my next purchase after this one.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, also would like brand recommendations. I've had a quick look through websites but I don't know who do the best. I'm a fan of Seymour Duncan gear and the Dirty Deed is pretty pricey but I'd take it like a shot if it does what I'm looking for, but would like an opinion other than the Duncan website overview... :P

Cheers
Wait until you get a new amp to decide if you need more versatility in distortion tones before potentially jumping the gun. Even then, Marshall MG's do NOT take very kindly to distortion pedals and I would not recommend you get one while you use that amp (especially a pedal at a ~100 price point.) I say you save the money you'd spend on a new pedal & that amp and put it all towards a nicer amp.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Cheers for the quick reply mate! Yeah I was just checking the field so to speak really and looking for advice before I DID go jumping the gun, and would definitely check a pedal through the amp first before buying. What's the issue with the amp and pedals anyway, what does it do?
Truthfully, don't buy the MG. That's the general response you'll get here.

Why not buy an amp that does what you want on the distortion side, rather than putting a good pedal through a bad amp?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
you really don't want an MG. fortunately i never fell into the trap.

you can do better for your money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ditto to the MG opinion. To input an suggestion on the pedal question, I've had great results with the Boss ODB3 (bass overdrive) pedal believe it or not. Wide range of tones from zz crunch to harvey milk/black sabbath heavy and a good eq section as well. On several different amps to boot. A few simple mods will make it sound even better. Agreed that waiting for a new amp selection would be best, still.
If you haven't gotten the MG yet, then I would recommend forgoing that route and get a different amp instead and using that amp's distortion over a standalone pedal.

You've got a nice guitar and and practice amp. The next step is a nice proper amp. You'll only be wanting something else if you get the MG. I say take some time and figure out what's most important to you tone and feature-wise and then look for a proper amp.

It's a common fault a lot of people make in buying gear. Getting an MG, which holds the name Marshall and looks like a decent stack, and then buying a distortion pedal when they figure out it doesn't cut it. We always try and stop people from making this mistake. You can spend the same amount of money and get something you'll be happy with.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Take out your deposit on the MG. No thnx. Your cube is better than that MG. (not just because the MG is bad, cubes are pretty good). I do recommend a better amp boosted with a fairly heavy overdrive firstly, but to answer your original question:

-MXR Super Badass: Can get fizzy if you're not careful, but has a decent amount of gain on tap as well as an EQ section.
-ProCo RAT: Not very tight, but good for hard-clipped OD and fuzz tones. Can be used to boost an amp to tight chunk.
-Boss Metal Zone: "oh no why did you say that" good for boosting a chunky amp to metal tones. Tight, a lot of gain on tap, has EQ. You have to know what you're doing.

Depends on your gain demands OP.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 11, 2015,
Yeah, that MG isnt gonna take a dirt pedal well.

But options to look at after you get your amp situation sorted out:
Wampler Plextortion
AVT Legend Amps series

and on the cheap, Boss Powerstack
The best distortion pedal I have tried is the Fat Sandwich from Way Huge, it has way more body than a Triple Wreck. Most distortion pedals I have tried are thin sounding, except for that Fat Sandwich! And it really sounds good too. Give it a shot.

And don't get an MG...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Cheers for the replies guys. Appreciate the feedback on the MG. I'm probably going to go through with the deal anyway because I'm in dire need of a powerful amp with a far from ideal budget right now. Everything else (pedal, new guitar mentioned etc) is kind of a long term project. The amp is coming in second-hand so it's way below the value I'd get for a better amp at a similar power. To be honest I got a reasonable tone out when I was testing it with my backup guitar (crappy strat copy) so with an improvement when my primary guitar comes back I would be happy. If I really can't deal it I'll look at trading it in for something better when I have a better budget.

Kind of bringing this off topic but any good replacement gigging amp recommendations would go down nicely. Versatility is key as I need it for different styles as explained earlier. Price being as low as possible without compromising quality; I can stay on the lookout for anything and test some out while I save up.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Quote by The Tempest
Cheers for the replies guys. Appreciate the feedback on the MG. I'm probably going to go through with the deal anyway because I'm in dire need of a powerful amp with a far from ideal budget right now. Everything else (pedal, new guitar mentioned etc) is kind of a long term project. The amp is coming in second-hand so it's way below the value I'd get for a better amp at a similar power. To be honest I got a reasonable tone out when I was testing it with my backup guitar (crappy strat copy) so with an improvement when my primary guitar comes back I would be happy. If I really can't deal it I'll look at trading it in for something better when I have a better budget.

Kind of bringing this off topic but any good replacement gigging amp recommendations would go down nicely. Versatility is key as I need it for different styles as explained earlier. Price being as low as possible without compromising quality; I can stay on the lookout for anything and test some out while I save up.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

powerful and good sounding are two different things. why waste the money cuz i promise you you will end up trading it in and regret the whole thing (plus lose money). you don't need a 100 watt amp if that is why you are getting it. a 30 watt or better tube amp will be just as loud and sound way better. your money but don't say we didn't warn you. patience is a virtue.
why ask if you aren't listening to opinions? a ton of people go the MG way and get screwed. you will grow out of it. there will be sunken funds, they are hard to get rid of. the cabinets are shitty, the speakers are shitty, the amps are shitty.

what is your budget? you could pick up a DSL 40 watt combo and slaughter the damn thing, tone and volume.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
MG? Powerful? Geez...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
So you're buying the MG but haven't gotten it yet...and you're asking what amp to get after that? Are you serious here?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Do NOT buy the MG. It's a pile of shite. Pretty much every tube amp on the market will slay it. Look at Jet City, Egnater, hell, even a Valve King. Then you may not need an actual distortion pedal, just boost it with a good overdrive.

The MG may seem like a good idea on the face of it but trust us, it isn't. Two weeks and you'll be all just
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If I were to work with an MG I'd buy a Multieffects unit. Something like a Line 6 Pod. Just stick the MG in clean and and use the amps sims in the POD. They go for like 200-300USD used.
EDIT:If he likes the sound of that MG and he likes it let him get it FFS.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Feb 14, 2015,
He is buying the MG and he believes it is good. I know cuz I have seen people being like that.

Go and waste your money man.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
seriously almost any amp is better then an mg its not hard to find one all they do is hum and suck. whats yoyour budget?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.