hey guys, thanks in advance for helping me!
I'm a fairly new guitar player(been playing for a year). Till now I've been using an acoustic and now I'd like to switch to an electric..
Can you guys tell which of them is best for under ₹20000 (~$330) or if any other is better than them. I haven't decided what genre I like, so I want it to be versatile.
I was thinking of
1. Ibanez GRG170DX
2. Ibanez GRG270
3. Squier Standard Strat

P.S. Was thinking of getting a ibanez ibz10g as an amp)
Thank you again
A Yamaha Pacifica. Cheap and solid. Can be had for a bit less than your budget.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
^yes. A pacifica is better and more versatile than all those guitars.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
yeah a pacifica 112 is kind of the safe choice, but it's safe for a reason. you can maybe do slightly better if you luck into a crazy good deal, but you can do an awful lot worse.

how loudly do you need to be playing? those mini modelling amps like the roland microcube and vox mini3 are pretty nice and versatile if you don't need a lot of volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For an amp for now I'd get a bean shaped pod. Cheap, and it has an input for headphones. Or you could get a powered speaker with one.
Fly on, fly on
Buy used. MiM Tele and Roland Micro-Cube for $300 total. A very solid guitar and everyone can use a super-portable amp with decent tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 11, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Buy used. MiM Tele and Roland Micro-Cube for $300 total. A very solid guitar and everyone can use a super-portable amp with decent tone.

This is a good answer as well, but I don't think TS will have that price, since he's not in the US or even Europe.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
This is a good answer as well, but I don't think TS will have that price, since he's not in the US or even Europe.

Hmmmm, India, good to know. Location does matter.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guys can you tell me in what ways the Yamaha is better? Also, I live in India. It's hard enough to get new guitars, never mind second hand. @fryderyczek what's a Bean shaped pod?
Thanks guys.
Last edited by DJ_Warrior at Feb 11, 2015,

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 11, 2015,
I agree with the POD they are awesome for practicing/learning. Tons of sounds and effects.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by DJ_Warrior
Guys can you tell me in what ways the Yamaha is better?

It's just a decently-made guitar, made of half-decent wood which is pretty versatile. That might sound like I'm not really selling it but you can't always guarantee those things at the price it sells for.

the ibanez rg270 has a cheapo double locking trem which is normally a bad idea- you get all the negative aspects of a double-locking trem (extra hassle restringing and changing tunings) with none of the benefits (never going out of tune, ability to do crazy trem tricks).

the 170 has a more regular trem but the gio range in general is considered to be the ibanez beginner range. To a certain extent it's marketing, but at the same time it makes me wary too. (Not sure I've ever tried a gio, just to point out.)

They also have ceramic pickups, which are arguably not as versatile as the pacifica's alnico magnet pickups (at least in the 112V, I'm not sure if the regular 112 has alnico or ceramic).

Not that well-up on squier. i'm guessing the HSS version would be better for a wider range of tones. But they use agathis for the body- it's arguable that agathis has been unfairly maligned, and the quality of the wood is arguably as important as the species, but again I'm going to be wary. the pacifica is alder.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Headphones.

Also, the POD is among the most popular gizmos of its kind, but it is by no means the only- or even the best- one. Check out similar devices from Tascam, Korg, Boss and others.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
It's just a decently-made guitar, made of half-decent wood which is pretty versatile. That might sound like I'm not really selling it but you can't always guarantee those things at the price it sells for.

the ibanez rg270 has a cheapo double locking trem which is normally a bad idea- you get all the negative aspects of a double-locking trem (extra hassle restringing and changing tunings) with none of the benefits (never going out of tune, ability to do crazy trem tricks).

the 170 has a more regular trem but the gio range in general is considered to be the ibanez beginner range. To a certain extent it's marketing, but at the same time it makes me wary too. (Not sure I've ever tried a gio, just to point out.)

They also have ceramic pickups, which are arguably not as versatile as the pacifica's alnico magnet pickups (at least in the 112V, I'm not sure if the regular 112 has alnico or ceramic).

Not that well-up on squier. i'm guessing the HSS version would be better for a wider range of tones. But they use agathis for the body- it's arguable that agathis has been unfairly maligned, and the quality of the wood is arguably as important as the species, but again I'm going to be wary. the pacifica is alder.

musiciansfriend.com has several Squier "Standard" strats at very good prices. Check these out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-standard-stratocaster-electric-guitar

These are actually really nice inexpensive guitars for a little over two hundred. That leaves money for an amp. These might accept many standard Fender parts like pickguards, etc. They will definitely fit upgraded Fender pickups.

Good luck. I thought you might want to consider one of these Squire "Standard" strats. You get a lot more for a little more, and they are very inexpensive.

In the end of course, you have to get what you personally want. This is just something to think about.

I have also heard that the Yamaha Pacifica's are nice guitars.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Last edited by DuffB at Feb 15, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Headphones.

Also, the POD is among the most popular gizmos of its kind, but it is by no means the only- or even the best- one. Check out similar devices from Tascam, Korg, Boss and others.

i need to be able to do small gigs
guys. does the grg170dx hold its tuning? and, is the trem on 170dx better or the one on 270?
Quote by DJ_Warrior
guys. does the grg170dx hold its tuning? and, is the trem on 170dx better or the one on 270?

How long have you been playing guitar and what guitar do you now have, if I missed that?

What kind of gigs are you going to be doing? It doesn't sound like you are very experienced with setting up equipment for gigs or even your own guitar rig.

If I didn't know much about the technical aspects of guitars I would definitely not get a guitar with a complicated Floyd Rose or other tremolo. These things are a lot more difficult to deal with than a guitar that has a fixed stop tail or string thru design.

Where are you located? What geographic area? I think I missed that.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Wait, Whaaaa?

"I've been playing acoustic guitar about a year and know nothing about electric guitar and want to buy one."
"I need to be able to do small gigs."

And I've got a strap-on wing and jet engine package that will help your pigs fly faster.
Quote by DJ_Warrior

I owned a grg170 as my first guitar, and as far as i remember it kinda held the tuning as long as you didnt fiddle with the bridge to much. The 270's bridge is way more complicated than the 170's, and as a general rule, you should stay away from double locking bridges like those on cheap guitars. And considering you have no idea about electric guitars, you will get frustrated with it very very very quickly.

If you REALLY need to choose between those two, then get the 170, just because it has a simpler bridge, and you can always block it. But i would recomend you the Pacifica, just like everyone in this thread did.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by DuffB
How long have you been playing guitar and what guitar do you now have, if I missed that?

What kind of gigs are you going to be doing? It doesn't sound like you are very experienced with setting up equipment for gigs or even your own guitar rig.

If I didn't know much about the technical aspects of guitars I would definitely not get a guitar with a complicated Floyd Rose or other tremolo. These things are a lot more difficult to deal with than a guitar that has a fixed stop tail or string thru design.

Where are you located? What geographic area? I think I missed that.

I've been playing For a year.
Gigs would be Small ones generally. But with a drummer. Crowd of max 150-200. I've played a few gigs, and know how to set up. But I don't have a rig, always used borrowed stuff. As for technical aspects, I'm willing to learn. Have to sometime . Geographic area is india.
Quote by dspellman
Wait, Whaaaa?

And I've got a strap-on wing and jet engine package that will help your pigs fly faster.

I've never owned an electric. Have used them though.