using major and minor pentatonic together ? I tried playing over a E minor backing track some of it sounds good but some doesnt , Just wondering why as I am using notes in the major and minor key?
I do it for some tunes, by doing phrases from each scale. In my case, it would be over major blues tunes, where either scale works anyway. - The change in mood can add a lot of interest. - But I don't know how it would work in the broader context.

This is one that really got me into the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Z4x9xGAAQ&feature=player_detailpage
Well for a start scales don't really tell you what will automatically sound good, that's entirely up to you and how you want to sound.

Secondly, the major pentatonic has 3 notes that are also in the natural minor scale. That's over 50% of its harmonic content. Make of that what you will.

Really though, the important thing to take away from this is that scales are all very well and good and give you a good road map for what to play... but they aren't the be-all end-all of anything. You can use whatever notes you want as long as you like the way they sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try using G major pentatonic over that same backing track and let us know how that sounds.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Try using G major pentatonic over that same backing track and let us know how that sounds.

Misleading idea. This isn't actually using a different scale at all, just a different place to play E minor pentatonic in. It's pattern-learning like this that leads to TS's position: TS doesn't understand why some things sound all right because they haven't gone beyond the basic patterns of what they're doing. Even to think about what notes they're using.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Not quite sure I'd agree that it's misleading. You are correct that TS doesn't understand why the two patterns do not sound right, which was explained. It was merely a suggestion to try something else, provoke some questions and hopefully teach TS why the suggested scale works. Great teaching opportunity and I wouldn't have told my guitar instructor that it was misleading when it was taught to me. A little knowledge can be good, no?

No harm and certainly no foul.