Hey guys,
So I sing high pitched dirty vocals.
I do that by singing falsetto and then adding some false chords.
(I think its false chords because I can hear a loud and low buzz/hum that is "singing" along with me, lol)
And I also add some vocal fry.
(I'm not really sure that its vocal fry but I feel and hear that I have 2 types of "distortions" that I can use, so I assume that one is false chords and the other is vocal fry)

Anyway, I'm doing it good (imo) and I really like how I sound.
The problem starts when I try to do that with low falsetto notes.
I have no problem singing clean low falsetto notes, but when I add the "distortion", it doesn't sound (and feel) "tight" and powerfull like the higher notes.
And basically what happens is that I sound like a mixture of Marge Simpson and Angry Birds, lol.

So my question is, how do I apply the distortion on lower falsetto notes?
Is it a slightly different technique?
Do I have to push harder?
Is it just a matter of practice?

Any help would be appreciated.
A clip might help of you singing but it sounds like you are getting close to your vocal bridge and haven't made the connection. As an aside, I bet you are truly singing in head voice as you can't really add power to falsetto (at least as far as I understand).

Also, you may want to look into pharyngeal singing. It sounds like that is what you are looking for to bridge that gap. I wish I could help more, but my falsetto is just awful.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some actual help for you, but good luck regardless.
Quote by merriman44
A clip might help of you singing but it sounds like you are getting close to your vocal bridge and haven't made the connection. As an aside, I bet you are truly singing in head voice as you can't really add power to falsetto (at least as far as I understand).

Also, you may want to look into pharyngeal singing. It sounds like that is what you are looking for to bridge that gap. I wish I could help more, but my falsetto is just awful.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some actual help for you, but good luck regardless.

I definitely use falsetto and not head voice, no doubt about that.
(I do use my head voice with distortion but that's for a very different genre and sound.)

I looked up pharyngeal singing and watched a couple of videos about it, however I didn't understand how does it relates to what I was talking about.

By the way, when you talked about vocal bridge, did you mean the vocal bridge between head voice and falsetto?

Thanks for the input.
Nope, I meant from head to chest. Sorry, no information on what you are talking about about a falsetto to head bridge.

Pharyngeal singing is what I thought you might be doing ala ripper owens, bon jovi and others. Sans clip, I had no real way of knowing what you were actually doing (most vocalist on here that think they are using falsetto with power are most definitely using falsetto).

Edit: I'm not arguing with you. I just misunderstood what you were doing. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Last edited by merriman44 at Feb 11, 2015,
Quote by merriman44
Nope, I meant from head to chest. Sorry, no information on what you are talking about about a falsetto to head bridge.

Pharyngeal singing is what I thought you might be doing ala ripper owens, bon jovi and others. Sans clip, I had no real way of knowing what you were actually doing (most vocalist on here that think they are using falsetto with power are most definitely using falsetto).

Edit: I'm not arguing with you. I just misunderstood what you were doing. Hopefully someone will chime in.

No problem man
Thanks for trying!