Why are the inlays sometimes positioned along the top edge (low E side) of the fretboard?
Some Ibanez's are like this. Do these guitars also have corresponding dots along the side?
Pictures of a guitar like you're talking about? I think I know what you're talking about but would like to be sure.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Are you talking about the inlays on a guitar being positioned on one side of the guitar rather than the center like this?

Its only like that for cosmetics.

All guitars (apart from some classical guitars) have markers on the side of the fretboard no matter what inlays (or lack thereof) a guitar has.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by pointnplink
Why are the inlays sometimes positioned along the top edge (low E side) of the fretboard?
Some Ibanez's are like this. Do these guitars also have corresponding dots along the side?

Why? Why not? Might as well ask why some guitars are green.

Plenty of inlay types out there, the "why" is usually "because it looks nice." Visibility and cost are minor factors but face inlays are mostly aesthetic, which of course requires no further explanation.

Side dots are standard no matter what type of inlay is on the front.
Thanks, T00DEEPBLUE, thanks everybody.
Could it be said that most shredding is done on the first four strings, and it's just easier to see the inlays if they're up where the bass string(s?) are?
Just a hypothesis.
Possibly, but I've never had an issue with seeing a guitar's inlays to begin with no matter how they're designed. I always look at the side markers.

Its simply like that to look cool. That's all there is to it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 12, 2015,
I like off-set inlays.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by pointnplink
Could it be said that most shredding is done on the first four strings, and it's just easier to see the inlays if they're up where the bass string(s?) are?
Just a hypothesis.

I'm with Mr. Blue, I think it's entirely an aesthetic choice. Staring at the face inlays is often seen as poor form, I imagine most shredders use the side dots. Besides, if visibility were the priority they'd simply use bigger inlays.

I do think they look cool. Very clean and understated. Nice way to show off a quality fretboard too.
Quote by Roc8995
I'm with Mr. Blue, I think it's entirely an aesthetic choice. Staring at the face inlays is often seen as poor form, I imagine most shredders use the side dots. Besides, if visibility were the priority they'd simply use bigger inlays.

There are LED side dots now; some require installation before the fretboard goes on the neck, some are slight bumps in a tape that sticks to the side of the fretboard (some switching and a battery usually lives on the headstock). For example:

https://fretfx.com/

My Takamine has none on the fretboard, just on top where the thumb wraps around. THe cort has a "tree of life" inlay, to use it you have to look close.

Pictures here http://www.elderly.com/items/40U-4102.htm

Doesn't matter much to me where they are, or why they put them there, the offset ones are probably just for looks. My Washburn BT2 had offset inlays under the top 2 strings, looked cool but made no difference as far as playing it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by pointnplink
Just a hypothesis.

not sure. I've definitely seen an odd guitar where the inlays sort of "flip" from one side to the other for that sort of reason. But i'm not sure if the ones where they're all on the one side are like that for the same reason or if it's just entirely cosmetic.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not sure. I've definitely seen an odd guitar where the inlays sort of "flip" from one side to the other for that sort of reason. But i'm not sure if the ones where they're all on the one side are like that for the same reason or if it's just entirely cosmetic.

Cosmetic.
I've seen the ones where they're on the bass side of the guitar up to the 12th fret or so and then walk over to the treble side. It's just a design affectation.
My B.C.Rich Beast VNT has a front marker only on the 12th fret which looks great on otherwise dark ebony fretboard
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by pointnplink
Just a hypothesis.

If you're looking at the inlays for position, you're doing it wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're looking at the inlays for position, you're doing it wrong.

thank you! finally somebody said it. i was thinking this since the first post.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
Cosmetic.
I've seen the ones where they're on the bass side of the guitar up to the 12th fret or so and then walk over to the treble side. It's just a design affectation.

yeah possibly
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?