So I asked this bar owner, who know me for playing good in town, if I could play instrumentals one night because I havent really played a gig for a long time and he know that I cant make a band in town that is made of a singer,bassist,drummer.. because no one is motivated for that stuff.He said I could maybe take one friday night.So I'm really nervous because I dont know how this is gonna go and what type of stuff people would like to hear.I can play anything from Slash to Steve Vai.I would really like to hear someones opinion on this
Hey man, well, I'm in a hair metal/glam/shred band, and I play tons of gigs in bars. From all of my gigging experience, the audience first off doesnt care at all about how well you can play. They in my experience care much more about the show you put on while playing. Ive had nights where ive played great, and gotten nothing out of it, and ive had shows where i was a little off but put on a great show and people loved it. I personally love instrumental music, but in my opinion, you're gonna have a VERY hard time getting people into it. Not that i wouldn't do it, but i wouldnt expect much crowd reaction (Again, it could be the area i live in too, im not sure). As for what you should play, play more well known songs by people like vai, and slash if that's what you like playing. Take a show at something like building the church, for the love of god, tender surrender, and for slash watch this, maybe a shred version of a gnr song or something. Also, look at stuff by marty friedman, and jason becker. If i were to have to play say a 45 minute set in a local bar of just instrumental music, Id do this set:
1. Yyz by Rush: EVEN if they hate instrumentals, they probably have heard this.
2. Perpetual Burn by Jason Becker: This one ive never attempted live, and would be a little worried about it (It gets pretty tricky in parts) But , it's super crazy, and would be a great warm up too.
3. Mr Scary by Dokken Super simple song, can do a lot of jamming in it. Just learn the basic melodies and go!
4. Dragon Mistress by Marty Friedman This song has such a strong groove, and is actually quite simple as well.
5. Building the Church by Vai This one is middle of the pack difficulty in my eyes instrumental wise, and looks insane, especially in the intro and solo sections!
6. Concerto by Cacophony Beautiful song, also very impressive.
7. Black Star by Yngwie Really one of the only yngwie songs I enjoy, has a good melody and can be shredded to the max!
8. Racing The world by Steve Vai Id probably end with this song, has a very uplifting feeling, and is pretty simple, you could extend out the ending, could be pretty cool, and this song is probably vais easiest as well. Huge chance to go out on a great note!

Anyways man, i wish you luck with the gig!
Play music you are passionate about and if you do it well, people will notice.

So the plan is to go in and play four hours of solo instrumental music on electric guitar? Have you ever been to a show like this and came home thinking "wow that was really cool!" I have not but anything is possible.

Bring 30 of your best heavy drinking friends that already like your stuff and have a party in the bar. It will go great! The bar owner only cares about selling drinks so if a lot of that happens, and his cash register fills up, you are golden.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 11, 2015,