Hi forums

I'm thinking about getting a little green wonder to double up with my Boss SD-1. I've currently got it running into an MT-2 Metal Zone and I absolutely hate that thing.

I'm looking for something that can be really heavy, but will still sound light when played light. The Metal Zone doesn't do that at all, it's full on all the time. The SD-1 is quite warm and the little green wonder sounds like it can get a nice bite to it, so I think they would go pretty well together.

Anyone ever played a little green wonder? They are pretty expensive, even the one that isn't hand wired. Is it worth it?
i dont have a lot of hands on experience, but my 2 cents is that there are tons of screamer clones these days and most are 95% the same. i dont think i would spend more than about 130-150 on a screamer type pedal. you can get a screamer and you can get a SOLID clone, like a CMAT mods signa in that range. if im going to spend over 150+ on the standary, screamer type, mid boosted, OD type pedal, it better do something extra special to make the price worth it.

i would rather save my premium for something really unique.

my 2 cents.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Save a little green and check out a Fulltone OCD or FD-2 Mosfet. Or a Ibanez TS9.

Look at this cute lil guy... How could you say no to an Ibanez Tube Screamer like this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ibanez-mini-tube-screamer-guitar-effect-pedal?rNtt=tubescreamer&index=5

Honestly for the cost of a new one of those Little Green Wonders, you probably buy all three of those pedals for less than that used.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
That is a cute pedal, I'd be scared of breaking it. To be honest, from what I've seen of tube screamers, they don't really sound like they have enough edge for what I'm going for. I'm sure there's one out there to prove me wrong, I just don't know which one.

I could get a green wonder for about £100 and sell my Metal Zone for about £40, so it's not too bad if you look at it like that.
You're not going to get heavy by just stacking two OD's. Preferably, you should boost a crunched amp with an OD to get heavy tones. So if you're doing that, then yeah the Little Green Wonder would be good. If the LGW is as bity as you want, I recommend sticking with that and paying the extra. TS9's seem to be a bit smoother, and I'm not aware of any other screamer clones that have that bite you want.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 12, 2015,
Quote by Rumpleskinstein
That is a cute pedal, I'd be scared of breaking it. To be honest, from what I've seen of tube screamers, they don't really sound like they have enough edge for what I'm going for. I'm sure there's one out there to prove me wrong, I just don't know which one.

I could get a green wonder for about £100 and sell my Metal Zone for about £40, so it's not too bad if you look at it like that.

Definitely. The TS9 isn't really for anything too gainy. Seriously consider checking out an FD2, FD3 or OCD as other options.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
What amp do you have? I once read a story about a dude with a Marshall VS who ran it on the clean channel and ran multieffects through it. Then he realized the amps gain is miles ahead. Perhaps it's the same with yours, you just didn't give your amp a chance to listen to it.
EDIT:If you don't have a decent amp I'd just get a multieffects unit. Something like a Line 6 Pod or a Digitech RP. That way you'd have a ton of sounds whilst not paying enormous amounts of money.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Feb 12, 2015,
My amp is a no name 100w solid state combo amp from the 80s. It was given to me by a relative, they had it in their loft. The speaker was made by Fane and the PCB by Fal. It doesn't have any gain effects or anything, it's just clean with a spring reverb. Not a great amp but it's all I got, and I can't sell it.

When I play a house amp in a rehearsal room I usually do just put it on the dirty channel and run my SD-1 into it, and leave the distortion off. Varies from amp to amp but it's almost always nicer than clean channel with distortion+overdrive. My logic is that since the gain from the amp is less than I'm getting from a distortion pedal, I could get a similar sound on the clean channel by just getting another overdrive, but one that's still noticably different to the SD-1.

When I say heavy I mean Blue Oyster Cults heavier stuff, early Van Halen, Megadeth at the most. 70's and 80's heavy. I'm not talking death metal heavy or anything like that, just a good hard rock tone.
In that case, you'll probably want to get a better amp. No overdrive pedal is going to do its job with a solid state amp.

Look for a tube amp like a Valveking, HRD, Classic 30, depending on your tastes and desires, of course. You could get a used Valveking 112 for like $200 and still have money to get an OD pedal. You might find that your Boss SD-1 is plenty.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by nick.culliton
In that case, you'll probably want to get a better amp. No overdrive pedal is going to do its job with a solid state amp.
infallible, 9/10 times advice scenarios on UG:

question: "hey guys, i have this specific problem"

answer: "new amp"

:p

If you meant that no OD pedal is going to do work with a clean solid state, then yeah I concur. Otherwise, in my experience, OD's still work relatively well with distorted SS amps. Arguably not as well as with tube amps, but they still work.

But considering the clean-only amp, yes OP does need an amp with a distortion channel of sorts. Generally you're going to want to use some sort of preamp boost to thicken up the distortion, not have the preamp boost (overdrive in this case) to be the source of distortion.

Something that I've recommended for budget before(considering we're going from pedal to amp here) is a Roland 20X Cube. Sounds surprisingly good for 80's-esque tones with a preamp boost. You could use your SD-1 for boosting.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 12, 2015,
The whole point of an OD is to work the preamp tubes harder. In a SS amp, yeah you still have a preamp, but it doesn't function in nearly the same way as a tube preamp and pushing it too hard can sound bad.

So no, an OD pedal isn't going to do exactly what it was intended for in a SS amp. Yes, it will work. In his case with a 100W amp, he probably won't have any issues using any kind of OD pedal.

I don't see why suggesting TS a new amp is a problem. If anything, it's definitely a solution that would work better than investing in various pedals that likely won't solve his original problem.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
If you can't afford a new amp, TS, then get a multieffects unit.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by nick.culliton
I don't see why suggesting TS a new amp is a problem. If anything, it's definitely a solution that would work better than investing in various pedals that likely won't solve his original problem.
It's not a problem. I'm suggesting it as well, and I agree with you (solid states meh, plus the amp doesn't have dirty). The only thing is that TS (I use OP) came into this thread with a pedal budget, now were are suggesting a new amp.

OP, if you can't extend your budget to get a new amp, you might have to stretch it a bit to get a decent multi-effects pedal. Two OD's in front of a clean amp are not going to get you a solid brown sound.

I wouldn't get a POD HD, too expensive and you could get an amp at that price. Maybe a Pocket POD, which is also in your price range. Then save up for a new amp c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 13, 2015,
Quote by nick.culliton
Save a little green and check out a Fulltone OCD or FD-2 Mosfet. Or a Ibanez TS9.

Look at this cute lil guy... How could you say no to an Ibanez Tube Screamer like this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ibanez-mini-tube-screamer-guitar-effect-pedal?rNtt=tubescreamer&index=5

Honestly for the cost of a new one of those Little Green Wonders, you probably buy all three of those pedals for less than that used.

Hmm I actually like how small that pedal is.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I have Little Green Wonder, and I love it. Can get pretty heavy (altough not metal levels - at least not on it's own), especially when stacked with another OD (I stack a Fulltone OCD into it). Definitely worth the money in my opinion.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
I'm fully aware that the answer is a new amp, I'd love a new amp. I really can't afford it though, since I can't sell my current amp. I can get a new pedal here and there and for an expensive LGW I can justify it because I'd be selling the pedal it's replacing.

Why get a multi effects pedal? I already have a nice little collection of singles and the gain is the only problem- unless it's to do with the preamp? I don't know nearly enough about this stuff, I've been playing that same basic amp for about 8 years. Never been in a position to buy a new one, although I can see it's time to start saving.

One other thing I was wondering about- if you're stacking gain from a pedal wth gain from the amp, and you have a delay pedal between them, that's going to mess it up a bit right? A delay should usually be at the end, so how can you use your delay pedal between two sources of gain? I have a DD-6 and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

I really do love the sound of the LGW, and I think with the gain turned up high it would sound pretty great with the SD-1 going into it. I'm just concerned about spending all that money only to find out it doesn't sound as good as I thought it would. Although, I guess you can say that about any bit of gear until you play it with your own stuff.
I sported a Boss Blues Driver and a ss Fender Princeton Chorus for years. I think my tone was actually pretty good. It gave me some killer, grungy tone. I think that may be a good band-aid for you. Don't let the name fool you, the Blues Driver has quite a bit of gain, all the way up to "can of bees", so you have to use the gain sparingly. Imo, it'll work much better for you then a Tubescreamer (too smooth for a ss amp, muddies it up) or an SD1 or FD2 (highs turn brittle and harsh through ss amp).

Edit: Actually, if your amp has an fx loop, an amp modeling multifx may be a good way to go. Run it in your loop and use the amp models. You get the added bonus of having a good headphones amp and a lot of them have things like a looper and/or drum beats guide and/or usb, etc.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Feb 13, 2015,