I have a Mesa Boogie Mark III Purple Stripe 100 Watt head. I only use the clean channel, and get really nice full tones out of it. I'm looking for a 2x12 cab that will give those tones plenty of room to shine before breaking up.

I do play high gain stuff, but prefer those tones to come from my tube screamer(s).

I'm also open to speaker suggestions to construct a custom cab. I'll entertain ideas up to $1000 (doesn't mean I'll ever spend that much!)
V30s are awfully good clean or dirty.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Look at the old Mesa Vertical 2x12 it is 1x12 in a sealed back and another 1x12 in an open-back. They even had an EVM 12L in them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cajundaddy
V30s are awfully good clean or dirty.
Meh.
I mean, it depends, I don't like them that much myself.

TS, it depends on the kinda cleans you want.
If you want vintage cleans then get some semi open cab with a pair or jensen p10.
If you want to play a bit of everything (also high gain stuff with the same cab) then I'd get a lone star 2x12" from mesa.
If you like v30's, get an orange PPC212.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
quite happy with my avatar vertical 2x12 with WGS, reaper in the top and veteran 30 in the bottom (g12H30 and v30 clones).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i prefer open backs for cleans in general. if you want to stay cheap and like V30's, i like my Orange PPC212OB cabs. its not totally vertical, but not horizontal.

second in line for me would be a mesa vertical 2x12".

but either way it is good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I built two 2x12s several years ago, based on an article on the Shavano site.

While my favorite 12" speaker has traditionally been the V30, these cabinets were based on the Eminence Delta ProA, a pro audio speaker that was originally designed to fill the gap that the then-discontinued EV-L left.

The cabinets were about 3.5 cubic feet, had a pair of 4" diameter "pipe" ports that were about 4" deep, and had a pair of 1165 piezo tweeters. The cabinet size and porting supported the ProA's resonant frequency of 52Hz, meaning that the ProAs in this cabinet were very comfortable supporting downtuned instruments with clean bottom end. The piezo tweeters didn't add fizz or buzz; they were there to eliminate the beaming of highs that normally accompanies a pair of 12" speakers. Power handling for each cabinet was well over 400W RMS.

These aren't mine; I had mine coated with LineX, but this will give you an idea of the finished cabinet:

Thanks for the input folks.

I'm leaning towards the custom route. I'm thinking about a pair of Tone Tubby Black Alnico 12's but I have no idea what I'll do for an empty cab. I was told there is a bit of a science to pairing these things.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Quote by dspellman
I built two 2x12s several years ago, based on an article on the Shavano site.

While my favorite 12" speaker has traditionally been the V30, these cabinets were based on the Eminence Delta ProA, a pro audio speaker that was originally designed to fill the gap that the then-discontinued EV-L left.

The cabinets were about 3.5 cubic feet, had a pair of 4" diameter "pipe" ports that were about 4" deep, and had a pair of 1165 piezo tweeters. The cabinet size and porting supported the ProA's resonant frequency of 52Hz, meaning that the ProAs in this cabinet were very comfortable supporting downtuned instruments with clean bottom end. The piezo tweeters didn't add fizz or buzz; they were there to eliminate the beaming of highs that normally accompanies a pair of 12" speakers. Power handling for each cabinet was well over 400W RMS.

This is a killer 2x12 setup that would sound great and be loud as hell.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
email avatar, they will help you figure out what you want.

i don't own one, but i played on a Mills Acoustic cab, and it was wonderful with my Nitro. don't remember what speakers though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/