Page 1 of 2
i wrote this partially as a train of thought sort of thing so it may read pretty badly.

my thoughts on music, im prepared for a flack attack for this,

this could and should be a golden age of music, lets see.
cheap and readily available instruments, lots of self help resources online, why is it basically not a golden age of music.

people not practicing their craft enough, people getting lost in the endless distractions and endless choices and possibilities of modern studios plug ins and equipment not to mention guitars being insanely customisable these days

my whole music ethic is about making songs as good as possible with the little equipment i have. and spending as little as possible on new stuff. i will wherever possible buy things second hand and repair things that are not totally moribund also.

i am far from perfect. im a real sucker for videogames and stupid internet distractions myself.

so why do we obsess over gear when it is fairly obvious the best music came from musicians with limited equipment, limited money but the patience and willpower to write great songs. its no coincidence that musicians debut albums are so often their best, its the time when they’re trying their hardest, have had the longest time to build up a great collection of songs, but also they are unlikely to have access to the best instruments/recording equipment, the recordings are also rougher (come on admit it rough recordings are better sounding). that has more less been true up until fairly recently where we have home studios capable of making music sound like it was recorded in a professional studio and you actually recorded it on a £100 guitar in your bathroom, thats great and all but it leads to a problem.

these days we have far too many choices and technology and it is ruining music, the most endearing music was not made this way. over production is making songs sound like they were made by machines and about as endearing as a microwave dinner container. is this really what we want?

the music industry also is completely dead and stale. it can be resurrected, but it needs a real kick up the arse and my feeling is to go back to basics and i mean that in every sense of the word, acoustic instruments (and i dont mean that in an awful hippie hipster kind of way) no special effects (seriously if ur tunes are any good then very rarely should they need fancy effects), basic and rough (but very human sounding) recordings. heartfelt and meaningful lyrics (this is probably our biggest deficit at the moment) come on guys we live in such absurd times. we have so much to sing about, so many injustices to protest about, so many hypocrisies to mock. where are all the protest songs?

now tear me to shreds hehe
Last edited by NoTroll at Feb 12, 2015,
Interesting. Technology isn't 'ruining' music, but I do agree that a lot of people put to much importance on Gear™ then on Hard-Work to make music. If you want to go for that sound, the kind of DIY style recording and sing protest songs then go for it I guess..
but it is a golden age of music
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Too long; still read it. Yeah pretty much agree. I think people are more distracted/short attention span as there are musicians making great music with great gear and technology out there.

To an extent, greater accessibility also means a flood of material - quantity over quality as far as actual content goes. Just my two cents.
Quote by NoTroll

ok.

I did not read any of that because you are a nobody and what you said is likely of no real consequence and will never have any impact in this world beyond wasting a small handful of people's times and marginally inflating your own opinion of your worth through the self-indulgence of sharing opinions out loud.

ultimately forgettable post and thread that will soon disappear into the abyss of the dead web. just another pointless discussion, with no real action, about the state of things that has likely been discussed already by people more knowledgeable than you a dozen times over.

or something, idk. don't cry okay.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Right, time to start writing that protest song.

"I know what's wrong in the world today
So many sick wubz and they're pretty gay
I'll be on the stoop with my guitar just chillin'
Then I'll get my gat and be straight up killin'

Cop killin' mother****ers, it's a way of life
Muther****ing cops causin' all the strife
Got to shoot the pig right up in the face
Put the system into it's place"

amidoinitrite?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Right, time to start writing that protest song.

"I know what's wrong in the world today
So many sick wubz and they're pretty gay
I'll be on the stoop with my guitar just chillin'
Then I'll get my gat and be straight up killin'

Cop killin' mother****ers, it's a way of life
Muther****ing cops causin' all the strife
Got to shoot the pig right up in the face
Put the system into it's place"

amidoinitrite?

yup!

brb just gonna play some punk progression on a slightly out of tune guitar, pump it through with heaps of overdrive and distortion, turn up the gain, and record it on my phone.
Last edited by mind_meld at Feb 12, 2015,
dont worry, this critique is just as much aimed at myself as anyone else. im also pretty thick skinned so il be doing very little crying as someone mentioned.
Last edited by NoTroll at Feb 12, 2015,
Quote by mind_meld
yup!

brb just gonna play some punk progression on a slightly out of tune guitar, pump it through with heaps of overdrive and distortion, turn up the gain, and record it on my phone.

I was thinking more starting with a sort of Bob Dylan vibe for the first 3 lines, just a hi-hat for the 4th, and then full-on br00t4l for the chorus.
Quote by theguitarist
ok.

I did not read any of that because you are a nobody and what you said is likely of no real consequence and will never have any impact in this world beyond wasting a small handful of people's times and marginally inflating your own opinion of your worth through the self-indulgence of sharing opinions out loud.

ultimately forgettable post and thread that will soon disappear into the abyss of the dead web. just another pointless discussion, with no real action, about the state of things that has likely been discussed already by people more knowledgeable than you a dozen times over.

this is about basically everything on the internet
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I was thinking more starting with a sort of Bob Dylan vibe for the first 3 lines, just a hi-hat for the 4th, and then full-on br00t4l for the chorus.

Or if I sing it like Kurt Cobain we could do both versions with the same lyrics and no one will know. All you need is anger, man.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
this is about basically everything on the internet

ikr?

except some jokers worked out ways to make some real world profit out of all this empty rambling.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by mind_meld
Or if I sing it like Kurt Cobain we could do both versions with the same lyrics and no one will know. All you need is anger, man.

This sounds like a Beatles/St Anger-era Metallica mashup
The problem here is that you're implying there's some kind of set goal for music. There isn't. If there was, either the goal has already been accomplished and it doesn't matter either way what we do now, or all musicians up to now have been really shit at reaching the goal.

And if there is no goal, then surely there's no reason to expect anyone to do it in a certain way? And surely there's no 'best' way of doing it?

Also, the music industry can suck my balls. If you want to be an industry, be an industry. If you want to be an art, be an art. If you want to combine the two, then good luck, but don't expect the arguments 'but it's art' and 'but it's business' to work. Also expect ups and downs, 'cause your part of the economy baby, and that's what happens to everyone who's part of the economy.
Don't start moaning that you can't have everything if it turns out you're bad at doing everything at the same time.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
This sounds like a Beatles/St Anger-era Metallica mashup

beatallica

google it
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Take some, take some now and lighten the fuck up.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by NoTroll
i wrote this partially as a train of thought sort of thing so it may read pretty badly.

cheap and readily available instruments, lots of self help resources online, why is it basically not a golden age of music.

people not practicing their craft enough, people getting lost in the endless distractions and endless choices and possibilities of modern studios plug ins and equipment not to mention guitars being insanely customisable these days

my whole music ethic is about making songs as good as possible with the little equipment i have. and spending as little as possible on new stuff. i will wherever possible buy things second hand and repair things that are not totally moribund also.

i am far from perfect. im a real sucker for videogames and stupid internet distractions myself.

so why do we obsess over gear when it is fairly obvious the best music came from musicians with limited equipment, limited money but the patience and willpower to write great songs. its no coincidence that musicians debut albums are so often their best, its the time when they’re trying their hardest, have had the longest time to build up a great collection of songs, but also they are unlikely to have access to the best instruments/recording equipment, the recordings are also rougher (come on admit it rough recordings are better sounding). that has more less been true up until fairly recently where we have home studios capable of making music sound like it was recorded in a professional studio and you actually recorded it on a £100 guitar in your bathroom, thats great and all but it leads to a problem.

these days we have far too many choices and technology and it is ruining music, the most endearing music was not made this way. over production is making songs sound like they were made by machines and about as endearing as a microwave dinner container. is this really what we want?

the music industry also is completely dead and stale. it can be resurrected, but it needs a real kick up the arse and my feeling is to go back to basics and i mean that in every sense of the word, acoustic instruments (and i dont mean that in an awful hippie hipster kind of way) no special effects (seriously if ur tunes are any good then very rarely should they need fancy effects), basic and rough (but very human sounding) recordings. heartfelt and meaningful lyrics (this is probably our biggest deficit at the moment) come on guys we live in such absurd times. we have so much to sing about, so many injustices to protest about, so many hypocrisies to mock. where are all the protest songs?

I think there are many ways to make great music, and many sorts of great music. But I'm like you, I like instrumentalism, and I like the roots of it all. I love it that an acoustic guitar is just a piece of wood with strings on it. So simple, but you can do so much with it.

Idk, what you have in mind music-wise, but if you're interested in acoustic songwriters that can play, and write meaningful lyrics, then you could checkout my channel That might be something you'd be into. I also have a soundcloud, if you want to check out more kind of finished productions. All kinds of genres there.

Idk if that's the sort of thing you're looking for, but whatever it is, I'm sure it's out there. It's just difficult to find, because most people don't think of music as something you pay for anymore, so it's more tough for less universally appropriate artists to gain exposure.

And sure, we can all record our music, and post it on the internet, but that doesn't mean many people will find it. There is so much out there. A lot of people put stuff they made out there. It is virtually impossible to sift through it all, to find something you will like.

I get very few hits on my signature, for example. I'm not even fully confident you will click the links I posted. If you do, you might click one or two things that don't do it for you, and that's it. From my perspective it's the opposite. Say 5% of the people that hear my music like that style. I need to get 100 views of the right songs for 5 people that are interested in it. What percentage of the signatures here do any of us click on? Are we confident that they will introduce something great to us?

We tend to rely on someone else telling us something is worth listening to. That's where it is difficult. It would not really be sensible to trust me if I would tell you I think you really ought to listen to my music. You what I mean? Everybody believes that about their own music. That's why it is difficult.

It also takes a long time to develop a high level of musicianship. You need to eat and live during that period of time. Writing songs is not so bad. Playing an instrument on an intermediate level is not so bad. If you can do that, and make a great living, then you're busy doing that. With people preferring songwriting over musicianship, as in skill on a musical instrument, it is certain that instrumentalism will take a hit.

I'm not sure that there will ever be another pianist as good as Oscar Peterson ever again. If he were born today, his talents I think would likely be applied elsewhere. That which produces profit, occurs.

Honestly, the best thing we can do, if we want more niche stuff, is to support the more niche stuff. The top 40 on the radio don't need you so much. They can live off of stuff like YouTube and spotify.

A political artist will immediately alienate anyone that disagrees with them. Lots of people don't care for that at all. Lots of people don't appreciate improvisation really.

The industry is becoming more all or nothing, because "all" can make money without people directly giving them any. Few want to give music money directly, and niche stuff can be harder to find in the sea of anyone and everyone posting anything and everything all over on the internet.

So, it's in our interest, to support the music we come across that we are interested in. Buy their song on iTunes, or bandcamp, often times they will accept donations, tell your friends, show it to people, and stuff like that.

I'm not sure gear, the quest for gear, nor distractions have too much to do with it.

EDIT: If you want direct links to some tunes, you could try Miles in your Shoes or Where did the Hope go, or Out of the Box for some tracks that might along the lines you are referring to. There are others also.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Feb 12, 2015,
Quote by NoTroll
when it is fairly obvious the best music came from musicians with limited equipment, limited money but the patience and willpower to write great songs.

Utter crap.

False "facts" lead to false conclusions, as they seem to have done in this case.

Have a nice day.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It's not 1969 stop living in the past. There's nothing wrong with music these days. For every " bad" band or artist there's 10 great ones out there. And it's easier to find them than ever.
Quote by Arby911
Utter crap.

False "facts" lead to false conclusions, as they seem to have done in this case.

Have a nice day.

Yea. Bach wasn't exactly short of instruments(for the time period).
It really comes down to talent and desire more than anything. Tools are tools, distractions are what they are. If you have an amazing voice and write great songs, little else is needed.
Dadrock fanboy alert.

Buying different gear and pedals helps spark creativity IMO. I wouldn't want to continue playing guitar out of that shitty 90s practice amp I paid $30 for when I first started to learn guitar and having no effects other than the shitty built in distortion.
In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any gear's phony gimmick. But because, I am enlightened by my musicality.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
In my day we had to walk uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes for five miles to the local Guitar Center.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by NoTroll

Thats why.

I'll probably get bitched at in some way for this...but ...meh...

Today kids have it too easy.
"Back in my day" when you wanted the learn a song, you had a piece in vinyl and a turntable.
1. Listen to a few seconds of music
2. Try to play it
3. Pick up turntable needle and put it back to where you started.
4. Repeat a bunch of times.

There were a few albums I had bought 4 times trying to learn it, because doing it that way fucks up the vinyl records.

Or to learn theory or something else that was not a specific song, you would get this thing called a "book". and "read" it.
And/Or go to school/college/take lessons.

You had to work a lot harder at it back then,
There were no tabs.
Sheet music for the most part was crap and inaccurate.

Ear training was the best way to accurately learn stuff.
But that took a lot of work and dedication.

The music industry has always been shit.
Although there were a few periods in time where they signed EVERYBODY.
Yeah, you got a lot shit that way, but you also got a lot of gems.
"The People" sifted through it and decided what was good and what wasn't.
These days, (as I said in another thread) artists are chosen by, and music is written by committees of office geeks and bean counters.

Edit:
^in "My day", there was no Guitar Center.
Well, at least not the GC you all know now.
Although I was at the "Grand Opening" (or whatever they called it) at the one In Hollywood back in the 80's. Hell of a party.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 12, 2015,
sounds like you need a kleenex for some of those greivances with modern music and musicians
Quote by theguitarist
ok.

^^
Quote by CodeMonk
Thats why.

"Back in my day" when you wanted the learn a song, you had a piece in vinyl and a turntable.
2. Try to play it

There were a few albums I had bought 4 times trying to learn it, because doing it that way fucks up the vinyl records.

Or to learn theory or something else that was not a specific song, you would get this thing called a "book". and "read" it.

There were no tabs.

These days, (as I said in another thread) artists are chosen by, and music is written by committees of office geeks and bean counters.

Edit:
Although I was at the "Grand Opening" (or whatever they called it) at the one In Hollywood back in the 80's. Hell of a party.

I think in your day also, live music was maybe more of a thing, and so bands could more easily work their way up like that. It's not non-existent today, I mean you could still do that, and it's probably the best way, but it's also the age of recordings in the club and stuff like that.

Granted, it's easier, there are more resources available and stuff like that, but learning to be very skilled at an instrument is still tough. It's a very different thing to be able to read about theory, and know it on your instrument, and also to be able to physically do some stuff. There is no way around it, there is a level of effort you need for physical skill. And the easier something gets, the more stiff the competition gets, and the farther they go. All other things being equal. But I don't think all things are equal, so idk if it will workout that way.
Quote by Burgery
but it is a golden age of music

i want to stress this
Quote by korinaflyingv
But if the bands I like weren't even making music 10-20 years ago how could now not be better?
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by Burgery
i want to stress this

I'm not sure. At the very least, we're living in the Golden Age of Technology, which allows us to relive all of our greatest moments. (as well as all of our foulest should we so desire)
" the best music came from musicians with limited equipment"

I would like to direct you to the genre Shoegaze.
Quote by CodeMonk
Thats why.

2. Try to play it

There were no tabs.

Edit:

We don't have it too easy, you had it too difficult.
Page 1 of 2