Hi, I have a PRS SE Korina One guitar with one, tha's right, one p90 in the bridge. I'd like to put in there a Seymour Duncan Antiquity or a Gibson P90.

The Gibson P90 has more output and Alnico V magnets
The Seymour Duncan Antiquity has less output and Alnico II magnets.

I really can't figure out which would fit in better in my guitar. Anyone tried these two? Thank you
There’s a star in the northern sky
Captivating me as I walk by
Showing me what I can become
Leave behind what is lost or won
What kind of tone are you looking for out of the new P90?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Gibson makes some great P90's, but they are generally going to cost more than Seymour Duncans. I have also played some Seymour Duncans and found them to be noisy, maybe they were the high output, hot P90's. These were in the Fender Jim Adkins semi-solid telecaster.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Actually, I think I've made up my mind. The Gibson P90 is wax potted and has a little bit more output to it. I think I'll go for that. With only one pickup option, I want higher output for extra versatility.
Quote by DuffB
Gibson makes some great P90's, but they are generally going to cost more than Seymour Duncans. I have also played some Seymour Duncans and found them to be noisy, maybe they were the high output, hot P90's. These were in the Fender Jim Adkins semi-solid telecaster.

I see. The SD Antiquities however cost more than the average SD. They claim to make them just like in the old times, so the price for both would be equal.
I've had the Gibson P90 in one of my guitars. It sounds great with lots of bass and a little more distortion on it, really sexy sound but it's also probably the noisiest P90 I have seen yet, even at lower gain it often f*cked with my noise gates. I'd say go for the Seymour Duncan, Duncans are always worth a shot.
Error 404 - Signature not available.
Quote by Oh_My_Goth
I've had the Gibson P90 in one of my guitars. It sounds great with lots of bass and a little more distortion on it, really sexy sound but it's also probably the noisiest P90 I have seen yet, even at lower gain it often f*cked with my noise gates. I'd say go for the Seymour Duncan, Duncans are always worth a shot.

Oh, sad to hear that. I think I'll have to think about it more thanks
The Lace Aluma90 will deliver a nice tone and will be as quiet as it gets.
http://www.lacemusic.com/Alumitone_Aluma90.php

Vintage Vibe makes affordable custom winds, and his P90s are killer.
http://vintagevibeguitars.com/pickups.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 12, 2015,
I have P-90s in my Gibson. They are great single coil pups but they are like others have stated...noisy as hell. But, with tweaking around you can get some really nice tones with them.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Icy_Lights
Thanks for all the suggestions. I chose this pickup in the end: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/p-90-guitar-pickups/sp901_vintage_s/

Alnico 5, wax potted, vintage tone, decent output. Just what I need. Thanks again, everyone.

I'm not sure you made progress there, from the SE to the SD pickup. But at least you spent some money, right?

I have some original (well, as original as a 1949 P90 can be) Gibson P90's that I use as a basis for evaluating those pickups. When P90's recently began becoming popular, a bunch of the humbucker winder crowd jumped on the bandwagon ("Geez, can we make MONEY on those?"), with some producing higher output (almost always noisier), some producing less noise (most of these were simply underwound and emasculated the pickup) and some fiddling with the magnets (ceramic, Alnico II, Alnico V, etc.).

Most of them were not an improvement.

The best P90 I can recommend is the Kinman Noiseless P90. There are several "noiseless" P90's out there, but the Kinman is so far the only one that replicates the original's sound accurately while eliminating the noise that a standard P90 will give you, especially when subjected to neon bar lights, ice machines cycling, etc. The SD will not.
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure you made progress there, from the SE to the SD pickup. But at least you spent some money, right?

I have some original (well, as original as a 1949 P90 can be) Gibson P90's that I use as a basis for evaluating those pickups. When P90's recently began becoming popular, a bunch of the humbucker winder crowd jumped on the bandwagon ("Geez, can we make MONEY on those?"), with some producing higher output (almost always noisier), some producing less noise (most of these were simply underwound and emasculated the pickup) and some fiddling with the magnets (ceramic, Alnico II, Alnico V, etc.).

Most of them were not an improvement.

The best P90 I can recommend is the Kinman Noiseless P90. There are several "noiseless" P90's out there, but the Kinman is so far the only one that replicates the original's sound accurately while eliminating the noise that a standard P90 will give you, especially when subjected to neon bar lights, ice machines cycling, etc. The SD will not.

Hi, I've just looked a little bit into these pickups, but they are way out of my price range. They sound very good from what I've heard, but they cost double more than the SD.

To be honest, I don't really mind the 60 cycle hum, I can handle it. You just need to chose a right position where the hum is the lowest when holding your guitar and that's all. I am willing to switch from the standard SE soapbar because it kinda lacks dynamics and I want it to be just a little bit hotter. Thanks for the suggestions anyway .
Oh and SD also has some ceramic P90(Hot and Custom), but they are overwound. I don't like that in your face high mids that they produce.
Ah, I just want a moderate output pickup, if you want more output, you sacrifice the treble and the organic sound of the pickup. More output=overwinding, that means less treble and more mids(and bass I think). My korina guitar is already mid-bassy sounding.
I have one guitar with some of Mike Reilander's hand-wound P90's. Mike is a very small-volume winder in Vancouver, and honestly, I'd never heard of him before. I've only had these a while (three weeks), and I probably wouldn't even know about them if they didn't come installed in the guitar. http://www.reilandercustomguitar.com/p90.html

$99 CAD (about $80 US)

I wouldn't mention them except that they're growing on me. They're not noiseless, but I think they're better than the SDs. Just another stir of the pot.
Quote by Icy_Lights
Hi, I've just looked a little bit into these pickups, but they are way out of my price range. They sound very good from what I've heard, but they cost double more than the SD.

To be honest, I don't really mind the 60 cycle hum, I can handle it. You just need to chose a right position where the hum is the lowest when holding your guitar and that's all. I am willing to switch from the standard SE soapbar because it kinda lacks dynamics and I want it to be just a little bit hotter. Thanks for the suggestions anyway .

Ordinarily, I don't have issues with P90 noise when playing at home or in a controlled environment, but if you've ever played P90's in a bar, you'll find that there can be a LOT of sources of noise and very few positions where hum is lowest.

I got spoiled with two setups. One was the Kinmans, the other was the Variax, which cranks out P90 and other single coil sounds with no noise. Both allow me to play and record virtually anywhere without noise. At least now you know that they exist.
Quote by Icy_Lights
Ah, I just want a moderate output pickup, if you want more output, you sacrifice the treble and the organic sound of the pickup. More output=overwinding, that means less treble and more mids(and bass I think). My korina guitar is already mid-bassy sounding.

FWIW, more output is not necessarily a result of overwinding. More to it than that, including coil wire gauge, magnet strength, etc.
Quote by dspellman
I have one guitar with some of Mike Reilander's hand-wound P90's. Mike is a very small-volume winder in Vancouver, and honestly, I'd never heard of him before. I've only had these a while (three weeks), and I probably wouldn't even know about them if they didn't come installed in the guitar. http://www.reilandercustomguitar.com/p90.html

$99 CAD (about $80 US)

I wouldn't mention them except that they're growing on me. They're not noiseless, but I think they're better than the SDs. Just another stir of the pot.

I would be interested in these pickups. Looks like he has wax potted Alnico 5's, like the SD's that I found. Too bad I can't find a demo of the bridge pup.

Edit: I've actually found sound samples of these pickups and honestly I'll just go with the SD. Sounded a bit thicker than the Reilanders.
Last edited by Icy_Lights at Feb 13, 2015,
Quote by Icy_Lights
I would be interested in these pickups. Looks like he has wax potted Alnico 5's, like the SD's that I found. Too bad I can't find a demo of the bridge pup.

I realize there are winders out there making separate neck and bridge pickups, but traditionally they've been the same pickup. Remember that anything vintage (up until the early '80's) had identical pickups in every position. As a result, switching to the bridge pickup gave you a bit less volume and more treble. It wasn't until the early/mid '80's or so that the concept of a "balanced" pickup set began to be marketed by manufacturers.

P90's have been the same pickup in both positions for a lot longer, in part because they were less popular than humbuckers for much longer. Truth is, when it comes to P90's, I actually prefer the vintage plan.
P90's tend to be very sensitive to height though. The whole tone changes dramatically with the smallest adjustment. I have bridge pups in both positions and I can't get the neck position to sound right without it drowning out the bridge pup. It's a good thing that I don't actually use the neck pup.
I've got a SD Hot P90 and a Rio Grande Bluesbar. The SD sounds a bit tinny by comparison. The Bluesbar was tricky to get the height right. I needed to lift it on the treble side relatively. It's a very good pickup though.

It really is worth playing with the pup height though. A seemingly shitty sounding pup can be totally transformed if you get it right. This is true of all pups but seemingly even moreso with P90's. Get it wrong and it will sound like smeg.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
P90's tend to be very sensitive to height though. The whole tone changes dramatically with the smallest adjustment. I have bridge pups in both positions and I can't get the neck position to sound right without it drowning out the bridge pup. It's a good thing that I don't actually use the neck pup.
I've got a SD Hot P90 and a Rio Grande Bluesbar. The SD sounds a bit tinny by comparison. The Bluesbar was tricky to get the height right. I needed to lift it on the treble side relatively. It's a very good pickup though.

It really is worth playing with the pup height though. A seemingly shitty sounding pup can be totally transformed if you get it right. This is true of all pups but seemingly even moreso with P90's. Get it wrong and it will sound like smeg.

Indeed. When I didn't know this, I always thought that the pup was broken or something. It was sounding too loud on the bass side and the notes on the high E were always too quiet. Once I made some adjustments, the guitar sounded just right .