hello, the bridge pickup on one of my guitar died recently and need a new one. I was looking at the Duncan JB since it seems to be the safe choice for everyone, but I kind of feel I need something a little less agressive on the high end.

I play just about everything these days. Mostly metal and lead guitar instrumentals in about every genre i can think of. So a jack of all trades pickup would be awesome. Can I get any suggestions below $100?

thanks

*the guitar has a tune-o-matic bridge.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
The Lace Alumitone HB, Tesla OPUS, and RailHammer HyperVintage will all give you classic a HB tones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You might really like the SD 59' or the SD Custom 5 (which is a slightly hotter 59'), they are both mellower than the JB but can also do metal and lead. Mark Morton of Lamb of God used to have the 59' in his Jackson signature before he got his own signature pickups.
The '59 is one of my favorite SD HBs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Perhaps a Dimarzio Super Distortion?
An SD JB or even the 59 would be great for that stuff.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
No one ever thinks about it I feel but the PRS Tremonti Treble is really good. It's JB based but side-by-side it sounds fuller to my ears than a JB. It's a good strong pickup.
custom 5 is possibly a good shout. though whether it's less edgy on the highs is kind of debatable. it's a bit more scooped on the mids and a bit more open-sounding as a result. which might make it sound more or less trebly depending on exactly what you mean.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Am I the only one that's wondering what TS means when he says his pickup "died?"

Did all the magnets fall out of it?

Anyway, I'll shoot:

I really liked the Dimarzio D-Sonic for what you're after. It has a very smooth top end, but nice, musical leads nonetheless. It has an amazing low end that remains tight when chugging without sacrificing low end -- somehow. It's just got a nice, guttural chug to it. Still plenty of mids as well.

I'm currently rocking a Seymour Duncan Black Winter in the bridge of my LTD, and it sounds amazing as well. But it's got quite a lot of top-end as well.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
by dead, I mean that it makes very little sound even if I short across the switch. also it was a crap pickup so Im happy to get rid of it

As far as suggestions, the very first one caught my eye. The Lace Alumitone is a newish concept, looks cool, advertized as noiseless, and seems to sound good on youtube. can anyone vouch for these?

was also looking at those SD Custom 50 and liked those as well.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by KailM
Am I the only one that's wondering what TS means when he says his pickup "died?"

Did all the magnets fall out of it?

It shuffled off its mortal coils
It has joined The Choir Inaudible.
It is pinin' for the forte.
It is an ex-pickup.

Gotta stop sweating into those "mortal coils."

One of my favorite bridge pickups is a 9.2Kohm '57. Gibson thing. A tech I know manages to sift through a bunch of the aftermarket pickups and has a box of these. Not wax potted, either (far as I know) but not microphonic, so it doesn't matter.

The Lace Alumitones aren't all that new a concept and are no more noiseless than any other humbucker, but they look cool, and we all know that trumps most other considerations. I would never ever ever ever (thank you Taylor Swift) base a pickup sound judgement on a YouTube video. Ever. But you can if you want to. I have (at last count this morning) 52 guitars. None of them have Lace Alumitones (though I've certainly had occasion to wring them out). None. 'Nuff said.
Quote by dspellman

The Lace Alumitones aren't all that new a concept and are no more noiseless than any other humbucker, but they look cool, and we all know that trumps most other considerations. I would never ever ever ever (thank you Taylor Swift) base a pickup sound judgement on a YouTube video. Ever. But you can if you want to. I have (at last count this morning) 52 guitars. None of them have Lace Alumitones (though I've certainly had occasion to wring them out). None. 'Nuff said.

My collection is about half the size of yours, but I actually do own Alumitones, and my experiences with them do not match yours- they're among the quietest pickups I own.

For comparison, besides those Lace Alumitones, my collection also includes guitars equipped with pickups by:

Golden Age
Seymour Duncan
Wilkinson
Reverend
Tesla
DiMarzio
The Creamery
Vintage Vibe

And whatever pickups are used in Maldens, entry & high-end Deans, as well as the pricier Fernandes and Electra guitars.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 12, 2015,
Quote by Knarrenheino
It shuffled off its mortal coils

well played

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It has joined The Choir Inaudible.
It is pinin' for the forte.
It is an ex-pickup.

also well played

Quote by dspellman
I would never ever ever ever (thank you Taylor Swift) base a pickup sound judgement on a YouTube video. Ever.

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 12, 2015,
I would personally go with a premium pickup from one of the better mfg's. I don't dig the look of the alumatones much and generally like a traditional covered humbucker.

I would personally order, for almost nothing more, a chrome or nickel covered Dimarzio SuperDistortion bridge pickup. I have one in an LP and it is a great pickup. I have several guitars with JB's and the SuperDistortion does not have that almost ice pick high end that the JB's have. The SuperDistortion has a nice high end and a very full, high gain, midrange with tight bass. It is not a "distorted" sounding pickup at all.

The SuperDistortion hits the preamp of a tube amp "hard" because of its very high gain, but it has a great smooth overdrive tone to it, not a gravelly distortion tone. It immediately pushes the preamp of my tube amps into that edge of breakup and is louder than a regular HB. When I turn up the amp the overdrive is very beautiful and musical without any of that high end overpowered treble of the JB, so there is no need to tone it down. It produces a great tone straight up and compliments and builds the foundation for enhancing your sound by adjusting the amp, using pedals, etc.

The SuperDistortion was the first aftermarket humbucker. It is a great pickup and has been modernized somewhat over the years. I believe you can even get one with extra wires for coil tapping. I personally almost never use the coil tapped sound on any of my so equipped guitars and use them on full humbucking. The coil tap sound is nothing like a strat or tele in my opinion. I will just pick up one of my strats or tele's or even a nice P90 guitar when I want that single coil sound, like my new 2015 Gibson LP Juniotr that I immediately stripped that junk gforce auto tuner garbage off of and put a set of Grover Roto-Grip locking tuners in.

I'd highly recommend the Dimarzio SuperDistortion. It should produce the type of sound that you are looking for and it is not expensive, even custom ordered from a Dimarzio dealer, with a metal cover; like I did.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.