This is my current router. When I'm playing LoL, and my girlfriend goes on Youtube, I instantly get an extra 100 consistent ping, plus larger spikes. We have a 30 Mbps connection, which, as far as I understand, we shouldn't be straining that easily with just us using it.

So basically: What should I do to verify that the router's at fault, and what should I look for in a new one?
Well that page even says "end of life" for that product. And if you're gaming always use a Ethernet cable for consistency.
Quote by herby190
This is my current router. When I'm playing LoL, and my girlfriend goes on Youtube, I instantly get an extra 100 consistent ping, plus larger spikes. We have a 30 Mbps connection, which, as far as I understand, we shouldn't be straining that easily with just us using it.

So basically: What should I do to verify that the router's at fault, and what should I look for in a new one?

2 simple ways.

1.) Plug in directly to your ISP's Ethernet connection, if that solves the problem it's the router.

2.) Buy another router, hook it up, test. If that solves the problem it was the router.

Simple.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Pour some sweet berry wine on it. If it sizzles you need a new one.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Arby911
2.) Buy another router, hook it up, test. If that solves the problem it was the router.

Any suggestions on a reliable router for the price? I don't really know what to look for.
Break up with your girlfriend and give me her number.
Problem solved.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by herby190
Any suggestions on a reliable router for the price? I don't really know what to look for.

When I connected directly to my router and ran a speedtest, I had a download rate of 22, as opposed to 13 when using the wireless in the same room as the router. I'm going to assume there isn't supposed to be that big of a difference?
Quote by herby190

Go to speedtest.net and verify that you actually are getting 30Mbps.
Quote by jugglingfreak
Go to speedtest.net and verify that you actually are getting 30Mbps.
When plugged directly into the router, I get 22.
Quote by herby190
When I connected directly to my router and ran a speedtest, I had a download rate of 22, as opposed to 13 when using the wireless in the same room as the router. I'm going to assume there isn't supposed to be that big of a difference?

The difference should be negligble especially in the same room. That being said I think its time to buy a new router they aren't overally expensive, and most new routers will allow you to game quite reliably if the signal strength is ok. Of course thats only if you have something against ethernet wires. Make sure the new router you buy is at least n600, asus rt n53 is a good router in the fifty dollar range. Its the one I use and have had no issues with it. It also has alot of features which are very nice.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes. -Jimi Hendrix
Quote by herby190

your router is horrible, only 150 mbps. that's ****ing trash, like a 30 dollar router level trash
Quote by herby190

first of all, that's a shitty router.
Get a TP-Link or D-link. I have found these are pretty reliable.

That being said. 30mbps means 30 bits per second.
There's 8 bits in 1 byte.
30bits divided by 8 = 3,75 megabyte per second download.
What I'm actually saying here: if your ISP tells you that you'll get 50mbps download speed, don't think you can download with 50mbps. always divide that number by 8.

Basically this mean that once your GF is on youtube, the stream will take away most of those 3,75 you have to download stuff, leaving your LoL game with not much left to up/download whatever happens in the game, resulting in your lagg.

A new router won't fix your problem. A faster internet connection probably will.
Also, WIFI is always less fast than using cables.
Also, you might still want to replace that shitty router
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Feb 13, 2015,
What you want to do is first hard-wire the mainframe connections and hook those connections up to the auxiliary terminal on the router update console. Then it's just a matter of backtracking the firmware paths all the way through to the tertiary java database.
Now, I'm assuming you do have the typical 3.5 gHz 7.4 kW 15 A update console and not the cheap 3.2 gHz 6.9 kW 14,2 A console. If you do have the latter, you would need to go out and buy a 1500 mW 18 Ohm supplementary clamp to offset the differential. You can buy these at your typical router mainframe database repair store.

Please let me know if you run into any issues. I'll be glad to provide further instructions.

- ultimate-slash
Quote by ultimate-slash
What you want to do is first hard-wire the mainframe connections and hook those connections up to the auxiliary terminal on the router update console. Then it's just a matter of backtracking the firmware paths all the way through to the tertiary java database.
Now, I'm assuming you do have the typical 3.5 gHz 7.4 kW 15 A update console and not the cheap 3.2 gHz 6.9 kW 14,2 A console. If you do have the latter, you would need to go out and buy a 1500 mW 18 Ohm supplementary clamp to offset the differential. You can buy these at your typical router mainframe database repair store.

Please let me know if you run into any issues. I'll be glad to provide further instructions.

- ultimate-slash

can confirm
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by ultimate-slash

- ultimate-slash

You forgot the most important step which is forcing a bitwise rollback on the FPP, if he follows your instructions without doing the rollback he could potentially corrupt the temporary routing table BIOS, causing the router to be unable to recognise its own IO/OO paths which would ultimately result in packet reassimilation and irreversible signal loss.
🙈 🙉 🙊
seriously though. change your router and crank up your internet speed by getting a different subscription of your ISP
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
first of all, that's a shitty router.
Get a TP-Link or D-link. I have found these are pretty reliable.

That being said. 30mbps means 30 bits per second.
There's 8 bits in 1 byte.
30bits divided by 8 = 3,75 megabyte per second download.
What I'm actually saying here: if your ISP tells you that you'll get 50mbps download speed, don't think you can download with 50mbps. always divide that number by 8.

Basically this mean that once your GF is on youtube, the stream will take away most of those 3,75 you have to download stuff, leaving your LoL game with not much left to up/download whatever happens in the game, resulting in your lagg.

A new router won't fix your problem. A faster internet connection probably will.
Also, WIFI is always less fast than using cables.
Also, you might still want to replace that shitty router
Of course this thread gets more active and helpful after I've already ordered a new router. Still, thank you very much for the information; I didn't expect that it'd ever be possible to get the full 30 Mbps, but I didn't know that how much is available was divided quite that severely. It seems that our provider has an option to upgrade to 60 Mbps for only another $10 a month, so things should be looking up in the near future.
Quote by herby190
Of course this thread gets more active and helpful after I've already ordered a new router. Still, thank you very much for the information; I didn't expect that it'd ever be possible to get the full 30 Mbps, but I didn't know that how much is available was divided quite that severely. It seems that our provider has an option to upgrade to 60 Mbps for only another $10 a month, so things should be looking up in the near future.

you never really get the 30 they promise. most likely they will have said "You can upgrade up to 60mbps. which means that you will get around 55-60

anyhow 7,5 MB/s download speed should be more than enough.
and getting another router is always a good thing. if it breaks you have a back-up router now

Buffalo is a good brand as I've heard.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Now that you've got an AC router get a usb AC network card. This , for example.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by herby190

If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea what's going on,
in life in general
Quote by UltimateGuizar
If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea what's going on,
in life in general

Makes two of us