Hey guys, I am probably going to take a break from guitar lessons starting today because of a tight schedule. I was wondering if any of you guys have any ideas of how to structure practice sessions without the guidance of a teacher and lessons. I have done this before, I just would like to hear what some of you guy do for a productive practice session without lessons, and would love some new ideas for myself. I am trying to get better at sight reading and speed. Thanks!
Why not take a break from sight reading and practice learning by ear? I'm not sure of what styles of music you like but there's nothing better than figuring out music on your own. It forces you to improve your ear while simultaneously encouraging you to think more critically about the theory side of things.

As for improving your speed, a metronome (or something similar) is clutch. Play a favorite lick or riff at a slow tempo, increase the speed, continue playing it, and repeat until it's too fast for you and then work backwards.
Music theory and creative concepts, as well as ear training and analysis. Your brain can still train, even if your hands aren't.

And composing. Try and do it without an instrument.

You could also look into this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

And train yourself to practice in your sleep. I studied with a piano player once who learned an entire set on a plane ride by looking over the music beforehand at the airport, and napping on the plane all the way to the gig.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I totally read this thread title as "practicing without playing" for some reason.

Hopefully that explains my strange advice.....
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp