Hello everybody!,

I haven't played a lot of strats and don't know a very lot about them.
I've owned some cheap guitars in the past and my main instrument right now is a Gibson les paul. But since I like high quality intruments and enjoy the blues sound on a strat, I'm now going to buy my first strat in a couple weeks/months. I'm thinking in the price range around €2000. Maybe more maybe less, depends on the guitar. Now from my experience on the internet, people are all crazy about vintage fenders. I personally would love to have a vintage guitar at sometime, but am not willing to overpay a lot for a hype or something thats not necessarily greater than lets say a new guitar. Also I am afraid that a I will be blinded by the "vintage" and may overpay or miss something.

So how about new Strats? In comparison to the old ones. Are they so much different? With a new one quality is guaranteed.

Any advice?
this will boil down to individual opinion but personally i think vintage stuff is cool but way over-hyped. YES, the quality stuff from way back when is drenched in mojo but the new high end stuff is really top notch. If you invest in a new Strat deluxe that you pick out (your color, your options, etc) you are getting the best and you picked it. again, just my opinion and there will be very good debate toward the vintage side as well. A good strat is always gonna be a good strat no matter what year it is from. Weigh the good and bad using what matters to you and that will help with the decision.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I own a Fender Standard (Mexico), an American Standard, an American Deluxe HSS and have another American Standard on the way.

Vintage, or Vintage-spec Fenders (as in for example the American Vintage Series) have features such as small frets and very round fretboards (7,25'' radius) which can be very difficult to play for someone used to more modern specs.

On the other extreme, you have the American Deluxe (€1599 at Thomann today) which has been modernized with compound radius fretboard (9,5-14''), noiseless pickups, S-1 switching system, 2-point bridge with block saddles and a contoured neck joint. I'd personally argue that this particular model, while certainly being a very good guitar, has lost a bit of the identity of the Fender Stratocaster along the way.

The American Standard (€1399 at Thomann currently) is my personal favourite - comfortable 9,5'' radius, modern-sounding but still true single-coil pickups, and a 2-point bridge but with vintage-style saddles. Basically vintage-looking but updated enough to be comparable to a modern design playability-wise. The best of both worlds, in my own personal opinion.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by sjoerdschelvis
Hello everybody!,

I haven't played a lot of strats and don't know a very lot about them.
I've owned some cheap guitars in the past and my main instrument right now is a Gibson les paul. But since I like high quality intruments and enjoy the blues sound on a strat, I'm now going to buy my first strat in a couple weeks/months. I'm thinking in the price range around €2000. Maybe more maybe less, depends on the guitar. Now from my experience on the internet, people are all crazy about vintage fenders. I personally would love to have a vintage guitar at sometime, but am not willing to overpay a lot for a hype or something thats not necessarily greater than lets say a new guitar. Also I am afraid that a I will be blinded by the "vintage" and may overpay or miss something.

So how about new Strats? In comparison to the old ones. Are they so much different? With a new one quality is guaranteed.

Any advice?

you don't have a big enough budget to get a Strat that is actually Vintage. late 70s - early 80s strats aren't really considered vintage and in many cases aren't highly sought after either. new strats are fine guitars and will certainly do the trick. no real reason to think about vintage at this pont. you can get plenty of strats with vintage specs these days as well. the vintage guitar market isn't for newbies so keep that in mind as well. nothing you can get out of an old strat that you can't get out of a new one. i'm an old fart, have played and owned plenty of strats over the years and an very content with newer ones.
Thank you for the responses and info. I agree on most points.
I will keep your words in mind and I will see what things will come on my path as I will go along the new and vintage guitar stores
Oh yeah and one more question. Are there different type of strats specifically for different genres? Always wondered that. I guess it would probably depend on the pickups. I mostly go towards blues/blues-rock
Last edited by sjoerdschelvis at Feb 12, 2015,
I would avoid anything with vintage stagger pickups like the plague if I used a plain 3rd string, or be prepared to swap or modify the pickups. This is because the were designed for a wound 3rd and have poor string-to-string balance when played clean. Plastic bobbin pickups, which includes Fender Noiseless, can easily be modded, but genuine vintage style fibre-endplate types can't. Just sayin'.
Quote by sjoerdschelvis
Oh yeah and one more question. Are there different type of strats for specifically for different genres? Always wondered that. I mostly go towards blues/blues-rock

well yes and no. most regular productrion strats tend to have fairly similar specs and be designed with what you mentioned in mind. obviously the strats with a bridge humbucker are geared more towards the rock side but can certainly be used for blues as well. there are some strats like say a jim root model that are geared towds metal but it has 2 emg humbuckers in it and iwon't be mistaken for a more standard strat.

your amp and fx will make a bigger difference in your blues sound
I probably wouldn't touch a truly vintage strat. If I didn't already have three vintage '50's Les Pauls, I'd leave those alone as well.

Vintage strats come with 7.25" radius fretboard and skinny frets, neither of which are particularly conducive to playing music that requires a lot of bending, etc. The vintage LPs are in a similar state; all three have very low frets and weren't especially popular even in their day. In fact, one of the reasons the 58/59 Les Pauls were coveted was because they had larger frets than their predecessors.

Fact is, if I were buying a higher end strat it probably wouldn't even be from Fender (even though my office is across the parking lot from the Fender Corona Museum). I think that, for the money, Suhr and Tom Anderson and a few other builders do a better job of building that guitar than do Fender themselves.
Blues is my absolute favorite genre on both guitar and piano. What pickups are considered nice for blues? I know an amp is also important to achieve that sound, I've got a nice tube amp and it will do for the moment.

I'm trying to put together ideal parts for myself on a strat in my head to consider when buying.
Quote by sjoerdschelvis
Blues is my absolute favorite genre on both guitar and piano. What pickups are considered nice for blues? I know an amp is also important to achieve that sound, I've got a nice tube amp and it will do for the moment.

I'm trying to put together ideal parts for myself on a strat in my head to consider when buying.

blues is a pretty generic term at this point. blues like bb king, like stevie ray vaughn , like gary moore etc. i guess it depends on teh sound you want. do you play mostly clean stuff or dirty? once again your amp will have more to do with the sound. really as far as pickups go you kinda have to try them out and see if they suit you.
Vintage strats are ridiculously over priced so I think you're better off getting a newer one. If fell less awful if I broke a newer strat vs a vintage one.
Depends on whether you want a museum piece or a player. I have appreciation for early 60s Strats because of their history and have played several over the years but my favorite is a 2000 USA Standard that I picked up used for $450. I almost never gig with my vintage guitars because they are not replaceable. A recent production guitar can be replaced tomorrow and they are great players.

I am also an old blues hound and stock pickups work just fine. Great Blues tone is mostly in the fingers anyways.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 12, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Depends on whether you want a museum piece or a player. I have appreciation for early 60s Strats because of their history and have played several over the years but my favorite is a 2000 USA Standard that I picked up used for $450. I almost never gig with my vintage guitars because they are not replaceable. A recent production guitar can be replaced tomorrow and they are great players.

I am also an old blues hound and stock pickups work just fine. Great Blues tone is mostly in the fingers anyways.

the OP is in europe so even a player grade would likely exceed his budget. even a player grade pre CBS strat is going to run you over $4000 unless it's a total piece of shit. once you get below a certain point you might as well spend the money on a nice reissue if you really want the vintage spec and a decent guitar.
Quote by monwobobbo
the OP is in europe so even a player grade would likely exceed his budget. even a player grade pre CBS strat is going to run you over $4000 unless it's a total piece of shit. once you get below a certain point you might as well spend the money on a nice reissue if you really want the vintage spec and a decent guitar.

I think we agree completely. A guitar to gig with: usually built in the last 20 years and doesn't cost much. A true vintage strat in any condition never leaves the house.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
I think we agree completely. A guitar to gig with: usually built in the last 20 years and doesn't cost much. A true vintage strat in any condition never leaves the house.

well i dunno certainly not to play some dive bar. maybe if i was playing a huge stadium gig . of course i'd take it to record with but never out of my sight.
Funny that; I'm rapidly getting to a point where I'm over being a caretaker for vintage guitars.
Quote by dspellman
Funny that; I'm rapidly getting to a point where I'm over being a caretaker for vintage guitars.

yeah and that is kinda a shame. guitar are meant to be played but when they are so valuable you end up not wanting to touch them for fear they will be devalued. no old guitars anymore but i do have other collectables and sometimes they are hard to truly enjoy.

personally i don't really subscribe to the whole "vintage" guitars are magic thing. i've played a bunch over the years and while a few certainly lived up to the hype many didn't. on the other hand i've played (and owned) some fairly new guitars that just had "it". my current MIM strat was bought as a backup to my 89 Strat Plus Deluxe and after a few months of playing it i made it my #1. you just never know.
i have played at least five or six 50's and 60's strats and teles, a guy i used to play with them had them. most he bought new or used in that era. all of them are weathered. some with two or three refrets. the mojo is cool, but they aren't of the same quality standard today (even if they weren't beaten too bad).

i really love the AVRI's, however i like vintage specs and the feel.

one model that gets overlooked are the fender plus models. i paid $1050 shipped for my (tele) and it is just awesome. the pickups are all lace, and the are really nice. you don't see too many though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Reading all your posts, I think I will go for a new or recent one. I'm currently browsing the internet on the different specs that are available and how they sound.

Thanks!
Quote by sjoerdschelvis
Reading all your posts, I think I will go for a new or recent one. I'm currently browsing the internet on the different specs that are available and how they sound.

Thanks!

Watch this site, pretty good prices, nice instruments. i have bought two teles from them.

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/page3.html
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
one thing to consider...wood warps over time. just for licks, let x = 5 years. a 2015 model guitar gets a professional set up so the action is 1/16th across the entire fretboard. in five years this guitar will warp x amount and require adjustment. it will then take 10 years for it to warp equal to the 5 yr warpage and again require adjustment. at this point, the wood is so stable it will take 20 years for the guitar to warp equal to the first 5 year warpage and again need adjustment. point being a 35 year old guitar is exponentially more stable than a new one. sure the wood sits for years being conditioned before becoming a guitar and is then sealed by its finish but it is still made of a dynamic substance...wood, which warps over time.
I'll toss this in as my two cents: We just got in a brand new American Standard Strat HSS at my shop, with the Shawbucker bridge pickup, and it is one of the best sounding and playing strats I've ever felt. I don't play much blues, but I can throw down some tasty licks when needed, and I also had a regular customer, who's a fantastic blues player, demo it today. Just plugged straight into a Blues Jr amp, it had just about the best clean sound anyone could ask for. And that Shawbucker pickup pushes even a small tube amp into a great overdrive sound, without a pedal. I couldn't imagine a better blues guitar, especially if you're into that more distorted blues rock kind of sound.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
I just a picked up a new American Standard with the fat 50's Custom shop pickups...I absolutely love this guitar...I can get incredible tone out of it...Anything from David Gilmour type stuff, to Hendrix, to SRV...Give or take a little but of course. But I love it...It plays like butter, and the pickups are crystal clear, and bright...Great blues tone all around. Only thing I wish it had was the vintage style tuning pegs...Other than that its everything I've ever wanted out of a guitar, and I will take this one to my grave.