Hi all.

I play guitar since a very long time, however I absolutely suck at setting up a guitar/ hardware. I restringed this guitar a friend lent me and since then, I notice a weird overtone on a particular fret. It's like this overtone is close in frequency to the real note but different enough to produce an horrible dissonant effect. Kind of like when you tune your guitar on fret 5 with the open note of the next string but that you aren't 100% in tune.

Here's an example, this is a pull off on frets 15-14. The overtone is on fret 14

https://soundcloud.com/mepheticexhumation/freq-clash

Is there a simple way so that I can get rid of this?
Last edited by solarwills at Feb 12, 2015,
No I'm not getting it when I simply pick the note on the 14th fret. It's still annoying when there's a riff where I really have to do a pull off on this frett. I wouldn't give a shit if it was just to practice but I'm in the process of recording and things like this bother me.

I'm also getting some huge audible buzz (even with distortion) when simply picking my big B string on fret 0 (I'm tuned in standard B) and let it sustain for a long time.

I saw some dude on youtube who said that, normally, you want to have at least 1/16 of an inch distance from your 17th fret to the strings. I bought a special ruler with 1/16th inch graduations and it seems way above that. More like 1/8 of an inch, but maybe he's full of shit..

Still I guess it means I have to raise the action?
Maybe you have to set up your truss rod, altough that would probably screw with all the strings, not just one.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Do you have a tremolo bridge? Because the springs can do that sometimes.
Yep tremolo bridge. Hmm I guess I'll have to bring it to the luthier. If I start messing with this myself, it's probably going to end even worse than the way it is right now haha.

I'll ask what was the problem once I get the guitar back and I'll update you guys.

Thanks for your ideas.
If the springs are the problem, just shove some tissues under then. That will dampen the vibrations. Its what i did
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
If the springs are the problem, just shove some tissues under then. That will dampen the vibrations. Its what i did

That works, but you might try pipe cleaners next time. You can shove them right up the inside of the springs. I think you'll find more pipe cleaners in art/craft stores than you will in stores that carry pipes these days.

Quote by solarwills
No I'm not getting it when I simply pick the note on the 14th fret. It's still annoying when there's a riff where I really have to do a pull off on this frett. I wouldn't give a shit if it was just to practice but I'm in the process of recording and things like this bother me.

Just to eliminate one possibility, do me a favor. Put a capo or a piece of tape over all the strings back at the 12th fret and then see if it still happens. What string were you playing this on? Did I miss that?
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 15, 2015,
Quote by gorkyporky

Just tried that, didn't change anything.

Quote by dspellman

Just to eliminate one possibility, do me a favor. Put a capo or a piece of tape over all the strings back at the 12th fret and then see if it still happens. What string were you playing this on? Did I miss that?

That seemed to work. So what would that mean?

This was played on my 2nd string btw. As I said though, I'm getting some weird thing when playing on my 6th string too. That may be unrelated though cause it seems like a different effect.
In case anyone was wondering, I brought the guitar to the luthier and it had a frontbow apparently.