Hey guys so I bought a used emg 81 off ebay with all the proper wiring and I couldn't get it to work it kept having an extremely low output that was only audible through max gain but it sounded like a clean channel so I tried buying a new battery and when I plugged it in the lead going from the pickup to the volume pot caught fire it didn't damage anything thankfully but yeah would like some suggestions on what to do thanks
are you sure you followed the wiring guide correctly?

Because what you explained sounds like the wiring is deff wrong. can you post some pictures
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
are you sure you followed the wiring guide correctly?

Because what you explained sounds like the wiring is deff wrong. can you post some pictures

Yeah, this couldn't have been the no-solder wiring kits they use. Those are nearly impossible to screw up.
We need pics.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Well i looked up a diagram for an emg and a volume pot and wired it accordingly here's a picture overall and of the volume pot sorry for the shit quality tell me if theres something else specific you want me to take a closer picture of also the tone and toggle switch are just there to fill the holes so they arent hooked up thanks again guys
those links don't work
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Those pics dont work.
You REALLY have to try hard to get a battery and wiring to start on fire. That is almost impossible.

So what would one have to do to do that exactly?
Quote by Explorerbuilder
That is horribly messy wiring man.
Are those red wires the ones from the battery to the pickup?? That is completely wrong if it is... that is why it started on fire. you have the power from the battery going to the pot... NO diagram would have said to do that.

well I wasn't sure since the diagrams wiring was different than the wires coming from it. It has a white wire then a red with another spliced off it so which is which exactly?I was basically moving the wires around until i got the weak signal I did
Quote by Explorerbuilder
That is horribly messy wiring man.
Are those red wires the ones from the battery to the pickup?? That is completely wrong if it is... that is why it started on fire. you have the power from the battery going to the pot... NO diagram would have said to do that.

Also is my pot still good?
Quote by lazoriz
Also is my pot still good?

wire it up and see
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So are the reds that are joined my lead and ground and the white my battery?
So i tried rearranging and the only way I get anything at all is if i arrange it like in the pictures i showed you although now I get a really loud hum unless i put my hand on the knob of the volume pot
Last edited by lazoriz at Feb 12, 2015,
thankfully it's really difficult to kill/fry an EMG. I've had a few EMG-H from the late 70s or early 80s. H being a single coil in a humbucker housing.

low output I had this issue with a piece of crap ibanez RG I wired up last night.
cold solder joints come to mind
a battery that is dead - this may be the case
a shielding issue but i do see a bit of polyprophaline (tubing) this may not be the case
the pickup isn't close enough to the strings, as we know if it's too far away it wont sound right
loose or faulty connections (try with gator clips to clamp to the right leads)

with an EMG unless the 9v gets a minimal amount of current going into the chip inside of the humbucker the pickups power won't go 100%.