Hey there guys!

I'm new to the forums (been around UG for a long time). I also happen to be employed with Guitar Center in my local city working in accessories. Before you start in, no I'm not going to clarify to you what the media crap was about because I really don't know and frankly I don't care.

Anywho, I'm making this thread for one simple reason: I'm good at my job. I love my job. I love talking about gear and getting people the right thing for their needs. That being said, I don't claim to know everything. So if you have nuggets of knowledge for guitar accessories, or if you have questions about different guitar accessories I'm here to help, and I'm also here to learn.

I guess I'll stir the pot with this: Has anyone reading this fooled around much with the Toneprint application that the TC Electronics pedals offer? It's pretty awesome honestly. The versatility is pretty cool if you're into the modern-day guitar player kind of thing where you can buy one pedal and use your phone to change around all the different effects on it.
Honestly? I don't like the whole "put the phone on your pickup and you can change tones!" thing. It doesn't work very well. Heck, sometimes my patch won't even change at all. I like the TP editor though. Good for dialing in extra shit and I like how I can dial everything in on my computer.

What exactly are you trying to find out? I mean there's tons of pedals and accessories that are out there, not offered by Guitar Center. Wouldn't even know where to start tbh... Is there anything specific you're looking to learn?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Not really, I'm just looking to learn more. Doesn't HAVE to be dealt by Guitar Center in all honesty. In my line of work, the more you know the better, even if that means that I don't get a sale because I don't carry that specific product, I'd rather have that customer come back to me again next time to ask me more questions.

I agree though, I've had issues even at work while demoing the Toneprint app where it didn't work. In TC's defense though, the TP app is pretty new (I think it debuted in last year's NAMM show right?). But yeah, the downloadable editor is pretty nice. I use that more with my pedals than the actual app itself, just for shaping/coloration.
Quote by jloomis92
Not really, I'm just looking to learn more. Doesn't HAVE to be dealt by Guitar Center in all honesty. In my line of work, the more you know the better, even if that means that I don't get a sale because I don't carry that specific product, I'd rather have that customer come back to me again next time to ask me more questions.

I agree though, I've had issues even at work while demoing the Toneprint app where it didn't work. In TC's defense though, the TP app is pretty new (I think it debuted in last year's NAMM show right?). But yeah, the downloadable editor is pretty nice. I use that more with my pedals than the actual app itself, just for shaping/coloration.

Actually, pretty sure the TP stuff started in 2011.

Good for you, around here employees tend to not share that sentiment.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 12, 2015,
Ah, my mistake with the TP stuff.

Yeah, I've worked in sales a lot and it's taught me quite a bit about the way to handle customers and such. I'm pretty proud of the store that I work at honestly. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Guitar Center's being awful with customer service but the one that I'm at just isn't like that. I give credit to our store manager for that. He doesn't tolerate BS, and he's also probably the most knowledgeable audio engineer that I've ever spoken to.

EDIT: I remember why I got confused about the TP stuff being last year. I went to a vendor training seminar earlier last year for work and one of the reps from TC was there. He spoke a lot about the Toneprint stuff, but it was the Ditto X2 and more specifically the Polytune 2 that won best show at NAMM that impressed me.
Quote by jloomis92
Ah, my mistake with the TP stuff.

Yeah, I've worked in sales a lot and it's taught me quite a bit about the way to handle customers and such. I'm pretty proud of the store that I work at honestly. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Guitar Center's being awful with customer service but the one that I'm at just isn't like that. I give credit to our store manager for that. He doesn't tolerate BS, and he's also probably the most knowledgeable audio engineer that I've ever spoken to.

EDIT: I remember why I got confused about the TP stuff being last year. I went to a vendor training seminar earlier last year for work and one of the reps from TC was there. He spoke a lot about the Toneprint stuff, but it was the Ditto X2 and more specifically the Polytune 2 that won best show at NAMM that impressed me.

That's cool. Yeah honestly I've heard some pretty awful things about GC but it's good to hear that some of them have it right

What are you carrying in your store right now? Anything new that you want to find out about etc...? Maybe questions about about new shit in lineups you have right now? Might be able to help better if we can have a sense of direction for the topic.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Ummm yeah, have you heard much about the new Boss Wazacraft pedals that are supposed to be coming out soon? I know a little bit about the delay having some sort of mechanism to switch it between the classic "vintage" boss delay tone and the new Waza tone that offers double delay time and some other cool stuff.

The flashback triple delay is pretty cool too, if you haven't messed around with it yet. When that came out towards the end of 2014 most of us in the store spent a good hour messing with it and trying to dial it in. I like it, but at the same time unless you're a huge delay fiend I don't see the practical use for it other than being able to set up 3 different types of delay to use at any given time.

I'm trying to go through my mental list of questions I get asked pretty much daily that isn't about stuff like "what's the difference between 80/20 bronze and phosphor bronze" or "what's the best pick to use" or other stuff like that. I got all that. We do have a pretty good selection of the Fulltone line in the store though.
You can get custom made guitar cables from www.redco.com that use Mogami wire and Neutrik ends for less than 1/2 of what that prepackaged Mogami cable runs.

I'm the same way with the tone print tech. I think it is cool, but way to unnecessary for me.

The new Boss pedals are just Boss giving you their pedal with the same mods companies have been doing for years, so they aren't that big of a deal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 12, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can get custom made guitar cables from www.redco.com that use Mogami wire and Neutrik ends for less than 1/2 of what that prepackaged Mogami cable runs.

I'm the same way with the tone print tech. I think it is cool, but way to unnecessary for me.

I'll have to look into that. I'm curious as to what the science behind those custom cables is, because they have to be doing something differently than Mogami.

Although...with that being said, Mogami is manufactured in Japan, I think half of the reason why they're so expensive is import/export costs and then the markup from the retailer.

How great are Mogami cables though? I switched to those from Monster not long after I started at GC (we get them for like...$17 for 10ft because of our discount so why not) and it made a huge difference.

Quote by Robbgnarly

The new Boss pedals are just Boss giving you their pedal with the same mods companies have been doing for years, so they aren't that big of a deal

That's kind of what I was afraid of. The mods are easy enough to learn to do on your own, or if you don't care to try they're relatively inexpensive to pay someone to do.
Last edited by jloomis92 at Feb 12, 2015,
Quote by jloomis92
Ummm yeah, have you heard much about the new Boss Wazacraft pedals that are supposed to be coming out soon? I know a little bit about the delay having some sort of mechanism to switch it between the classic "vintage" boss delay tone and the new Waza tone that offers double delay time and some other cool stuff.

The flashback triple delay is pretty cool too, if you haven't messed around with it yet. When that came out towards the end of 2014 most of us in the store spent a good hour messing with it and trying to dial it in. I like it, but at the same time unless you're a huge delay fiend I don't see the practical use for it other than being able to set up 3 different types of delay to use at any given time.

I'm trying to go through my mental list of questions I get asked pretty much daily that isn't about stuff like "what's the difference between 80/20 bronze and phosphor bronze" or "what's the best pick to use" or other stuff like that. I got all that. We do have a pretty good selection of the Fulltone line in the store though.

Havent tried the triple FB but I do have an original flashback, a corona and a vertex. The Flashback is for sure my favorite though. If the bigger one is similar then Id love to try it.

As for the Waza pedals, yeah its basically what Rob said. As for the switch on the delay, I think its to switch between original and a more modern sound. It cleans up the trails a bit and doubles the time IIRC
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Havent tried the triple FB but I do have an original flashback, a corona and a vertex. The Flashback is for sure my favorite though. If the bigger one is similar then Id love to try it.

The FB triple delay works almost exactly like the original flashback. The only difference is instead of having just one delay, you can set up to three. You can set the individual tap tempo for each, and also the way the delay is played back (time signature, rhythm, etc). There's a bunch of different delay effects too just like in the single delay flashbacks, but they added some more as well. The Ping pong/space/analog combo is one of my favorites when running all 3 at the same time.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
As for the Waza pedals, yeah its basically what Rob said. As for the switch on the delay, I think its to switch between original and a more modern sound. It cleans up the trails a bit and doubles the time IIRC

That's such a shame, but good to know. Any recommendations for places my customers can send their pedals in to get modded or learn about it themselves? I get asked every once in a while about these Waza ones and I'd rather just refer them to a mod than have them spend X amount of extra dollars on a whole new pedal.
Quote by jloomis92
I'll have to look into that. I'm curious as to what the science behind those custom cables is, because they have to be doing something differently than Mogami.

Although...with that being said, Mogami is manufactured in Japan, I think half of the reason why they're so expensive is import/export costs and then the markup from the retailer.

How great are Mogami cables though? I switched to those from Monster not long after I started at GC (we get them for like...$17 for 10ft because of our discount so why not) and it made a huge difference.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. The mods are easy enough to learn to do on your own, or if you don't care to try they're relatively inexpensive to pay someone to do.

No science at all, Mogami wire is not super expensive in bulk. Redco buys in bulk and makes them. Mogami prepackaged cables are nothing special or different than what redco does. But Mogami charges a premium for their product to the regular retail industry.
Mogami is fine, I also like Canare, but they are hard to find in most retailers (redco carries it) I think the last 18ft Mogami I bought was $30ish.

Yeah, but it is nice for the people who like to play guitar but are not gearheads actively searching for all the pedal mods/modders or small pedal companys. so when they do go into a typical music store they now have another option. and it is a good way to put it to make some sales
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jloomis92
The FB triple delay works almost exactly like the original flashback. The only difference is instead of having just one delay, you can set up to three. You can set the individual tap tempo for each, and also the way the delay is played back (time signature, rhythm, etc). There's a bunch of different delay effects too just like in the single delay flashbacks, but they added some more as well. The Ping pong/space/analog combo is one of my favorites when running all 3 at the same time.

That's such a shame, but good to know. Any recommendations for places my customers can send their pedals in to get modded or learn about it themselves? I get asked every once in a while about these Waza ones and I'd rather just refer them to a mod than have them spend X amount of extra dollars on a whole new pedal.

RE: Doing it yourself.

Most of that information can be found online. When I started modding my things, most of the information I got was from forums etc... A lot of good info is here:

http://www.freestompboxes.org/

Parts can be found at sites like this:

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/

Or even locally at places like Radio shack etc...

As for getting it done by bigger companies, people like Monte Allums and Keeley etc... will modify your own pedal but they also sell new ones with the mods installed or just sell the parts for the mods so you can install them. Getting the company to mod your pedal can be a bit pricey though and defeats the purpose of getting it done yourself. At that point I'd probably just sell the pedal and buy a new one from them with the mod installed.

Here's keeley:

https://robertkeeley.com/product/sd-1-super-overdrive-mod/

Best thing to do though is if you can find a local guy who makes decent pedals. If he's decent at what he does, he can do the mods and for much cheaper than a big dog company.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster